C25K question

Options
I never started my fitness regimen with a running goal in mind, in fact, I didn't have running in mind at all. But, now that I have been working out and losing weight since September, I am now able to run 1.5 miles. I looked at the C25K program, but don't know if I should start at the beginning or if I should find a place in the middle of the program to start - or if I should just ignore that program and get to the 3.2 mile mark a different way. Any thoughts from the runners out there?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tigeratty
    tigeratty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had about the same "base" as you and I started at the beginning of couch to 5K; however, during the first few weeks I only did the workouts two times each instead of three. When I could no longer do the next workout easily on the first shot then I did the full three repetitions for that week. You may even need to repeat some weeks as you get to the end. Try the free pocasts from the itunes store, they are great.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    If you are running 1.5 miles without having to stop, you probably don't need the C25K. How many times a week are you running? I would most definitely run 3 times a week and do your 1.5 miles for 2 runs and then on your 3rd day, up your distance by 10%. That will be your long run day. The other way to do this is to take your total, which will be 4.5 miles a week right now, and up that each week by 10%. So, second week go up to 5 miles total (rounding), divide it by 3 (1.7 miles) and run that each day. You can run 1.5 your first day and walk the extra .2 miles, to get use to being up that long. The main thing is to increase gradually and keeping in mind a 10% per week increase.
    However, if you want to do the C25K, you certainly can.
  • roseemb
    roseemb Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Does running on the treadmill count the same as running outside? I know that you don't have wind resistance and other benefits of "moving through space" on the treadmill...
  • alliooops
    alliooops Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes it does count - and there is a C25k written specially for the treadmill - it has the times on it when you should walk and run. My trainer suggests always having the treadmill on 2.0 incline - that way it mimics road conditions better.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    No, running on the treadmill and running outside are not the same thing. You can use the treadmill (with an incline of at least 1) to supplement your running, if weather is really bad, etc. But, if you want to run a 5K outdoors, you must run outdoors. If you are running on a treadmill and not outside and you want to work towards a 5K, I would recommend the C25K program and starting from the beginning outside.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I did C25K on the treadmill and only ran outside once before my first race. It's different running outside, but not that much different.

Personally, I think it's a lot easier to run outside where I control my pace and there's airflow and breezes... I swelter on the treadmill.
  • VezNo1
    VezNo1 Posts: 83
    Options
    C25k is a good program, I'm on week 7 and I'm looking to do c210k after.take your running outside, so much more interesting than the gym.