Anyone else have plantar fasciitis?? Need advice please!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Brandib1985
    Brandib1985 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this, but if you for some reason can't run or walk for a while, try cycling..less pressure on bottom of feet. If you can even go to one spin class it will change you. You burn 600 to 1000 calories a work out

doesn't spinning just work your bottom half? I have never done it -well I did try it once but the bike killed my butt so I stopped!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Does this foot issue go away with major weightloss or does it come from a different angle? I mean, I'm sure being heavy doesnt help, but I've developed foot issues EXTREMELY similar to this and am still completely stumped on how to heal it . And it doesnt help that I always have to be on my feet all day moving heavy boxes. :(
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hello :)

Just wondering if anyone has some advice with how to deal with plantar fasciitis or heel spur's as they are also known.

I have lost over 80lbs in the last year and a half just by increasing my walking every day - pushing my little girl in her stroller up and down hills up to 5 miles a day. But because of the increased exercise and because I was carrying over 350lbs my foot has given in and I have now developed major heel pain.

I have bought new insoles and tried the suggested exercises but nothing can stop the excruciating pain I am experiencing in the evening. I virtually have to hop around as I can not put any pressure on it at all.

I can't afford to go to the gym and I still have over 100lbs to loose...... I really don't want pain or injury to be an excuse as to why I have give up.

I am really struggling with this and could do with some helpful advice or suggestions....

thanks a million...x

It depends if you just have the aponeurosis thickening (fascitis) or if you have the bone spurs as well - unfortunately if you have bone spurs the only way to deal with them is to get them removed, analgesics or any other non surgical remedy wont fix the problem :(
  • Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Just wondering if anyone has some advice with how to deal with plantar fasciitis or heel spur's as they are also known.

I have had plantar fasciitis as well. But it is not the same thing as heel spurs. Plantar faciitis is small tears in the tendon running through your heal. As some have mentioned, it is caused by over use. Sometimes caused by a traumatic injury like stepping wrong and over stretching the tendon (I did that). Also runners tend to get it due to the continual impact on the heal.

It take a really long time to stop hurting (like up to a year!). My doctor suggested the stretching several times a day, but be careful about not over doing it. Also... never go barefooted. Wear a pair of Birkenstocks or similar slip on shoes around the house even. And always wear shoes with good arch support or add arch support to existing shoes.

Good luck!
  • REBEE17
    REBEE17 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I started to get pains in my foot/heel but was never diagnosed.
    A few weeks of rolling it on a frozen water bottle and sitting on the floor with a bath towel, wrap the middle around the ball of your foot and pull toward you. It hurts, but it hurts so good.

I haven't had pain since. knock on wood.
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    Fit Flops! These were life changing for me as I also had other foot problems, too. I started with the sandels and now have 3 different types. I went immediatley from hobbling around to being able to walk around a park with no pain.

A few bits of info. Keep a pair of Fit Flops by your bedside. Slip into them first thing in the morning. This gets the stretch going immediately. Do not go barefoot. This last part was hard fro me as I loved going barefoot in the house year round.

Good Luck!
  • alcinoos23
    alcinoos23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused by your post because heel spurs and plantar fasciitis are not the same thing, although they can occur together. If you do have plantar fasciitis, one of the best things is taking B12. My grandmother, father, and I all have had issues with plantar fasciitis and upon taking a B12 supplement, we've all noticed significant improvement. I never really have pain anymore. I suggest the sublingual variety as it provides for the best absorption by the body.

Aside from that, rest can be helpful. The other important thing is to wear SUPPORTIVE footwear.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Does this foot issue go away with major weightloss or does it come from a different angle? I mean, I'm sure being heavy doesnt help, but I've developed foot issues EXTREMELY similar to this and am still completely stumped on how to heal it . And it doesnt help that I always have to be on my feet all day moving heavy boxes. :(
    I can tell you the bigger I am the worse mine bothers me. I've dealt with Planter Fasciitis and ankle pain off and on for years. The times that it hasn't bothered me has been when I've been close to or at my ideal weight. Now that I'm down 30 lbs it's not bothering me as much as it was 6 months ago.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Go to the Good Feet Store, drop $150 and only get the hard insole - not the whole package/program, wear those in your shoes for as long as you can tolerate it at a time until you can handle it full-time. By the time you drop your weight, it will be over.

The bad part: it feels like you have a golf ball in your shoe at first. VERY uncomfortable, but you quickly adapt (stretches out that ligament or tendon which is the real problem).

My doctor told me that my weight wasn't the sole (no pun intended) reason that I had plantar fasciitis, but after wearing those hard insoles for a couple of years and/or dropping 90 pounds, no more plantar fasciitis at all.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I can tell you the bigger I am the worse mine bothers me. I've dealt with Planter Fasciitis and ankle pain off and on for years. The times that it hasn't bothered me has been when I've been close to or at my ideal weight. Now that I'm down 30 lbs it's not bothering me as much as it was 6 months ago.

Just losing 5 pounds since mine started has helped me. It's an extremely frustrating thing to deal with as some days it's barely noticeable and others it hurts like hell.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good advice here. For me two things helped. High heels and weight loss. I tried the inserts and the exercises and nothing helped. I drew the line at the steroid shots as that was part of what got my overweight in the first place. By 10 am every morning I was limping if I wore flat to low heeled shoes. When I wore 3+ heels it wasn't as bad. After a few months of wearing heels daily my issue virtually disappeared. Once I started losing weight the occasional flair ups went away. I couldn't tell you how long it's been since I hurt like that. I agree with others though, go see a Dr. and get the best medical care you can for it now before it gets worse.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this, but if you for some reason can't run or walk for a while, try cycling..less pressure on bottom of feet. If you can even go to one spin class it will change you. You burn 600 to 1000 calories a work out

doesn't spinning just work your bottom half? I have never done it -well I did try it once but the bike killed my butt so I stopped!
    I developed this after a 1/2 marathon, and I'm a spinning instructor. As long as I didn't stand up on the bike it was fine. Spinning is a great alternative to many injuries. You burn a ton of calories, but you have all the control as to how hard you work! You can ease into it! :-)
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fascilitis. At its worst, I went to an outdoor store, and bought an amazing pair of flip flips that mold to your feet - you actually put them in the stove to mold them correctly - and wearing those was instant relief, and helped rehab my feet, too. They were about $50, and well worth every penny.

It does take a long time to go away though, so do the stretches like everyone's saying, and don't give your feet a hard time (no long runs, etc).
  • tambamis
    tambamis Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This shoe "cured" my issues. I wore them everyday, for at least a couple months, in the house and at work (I walked all day for work) not the prettiest but who cares when you're in pain.

http://www.doddsshoe.com/Haflinger-Clogs.html?gclid=CNb8zbCF9qwCFewAQAodxCaaTw

I got mine at Schuler Shoes. I no longer have pain, and I wear them whenever I know I'm going to be on my feet all day. They are slip on shoes, but the form fitting etc. (I also have a high instep) kept them on my feet, I didn't have to hold them on.

Mine are completely worn out and have holes in them, and still make my feet happy!
    Good luck - I know this can be very painful.
  • victoria863
    victoria863 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im stretching stretching and stretching. owww :(
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    boncharlie wrote: »

I have lost over 80lbs in the last year and a half just by increasing my walking every day - pushing my little girl in her stroller up and down hills up to 5 miles a day. But because of the increased exercise and because I was carrying over 350lbs my foot has given in and I have now developed major heel pain.

I have bought new insoles and tried the suggested exercises but nothing can stop the excruciating pain I am experiencing in the evening. I virtually have to hop around as I can not put any pressure on it at all.

I can't afford to go to the gym and I still have over 100lbs to loose...... I really don't want pain or injury to be an excuse as to why I have give up.

I am really struggling with this and could do with some helpful advice or suggestions....

thanks a million...x

To be honest, the best thing I did for my plantar fascititis was getting cortisone shots from my podiatrist, and then after that only walking with good shoes with inserts. I still have days where I'm a little achy but I've never had days where I'm limping in terrible pain. (I got my shots in 2011 and I've never had it get that bad again since.)