Girl starting to lift heavy

Options
Ok so my friend is teaching me how to properly lift heavy and I'm starting dead lifts and squats tonight
I'm 135 lbs, and 5'2".. how much should I be able to do?
and If I do this 3 times a week will I start seeing changes in my body in a couple months?

Replies

• ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and about 137. Just started lifting like this two weeks ago. I started with just the barbell, which is 45 lbs. I've moved up to 50/55 lbs. in the first week.
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm no expert but I've started lifting heavier weights. I'm your height but about 40lbs heavier. Basically, the system I use is I do 3 sets of 8. If, by the time you get to 7, you can do it realitively easy (i.e. not struggling to get that final life), then you should go up a weight. On the other hand, if it gets too hard too fast, you should go down a weight (to avoid hurting yourself). If the form isn't good and you are not able to correct it and finish the exercise, then again, it's probably too high.

But you won't know until you experiement. That's my two cents anyway.
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    wow awesome, I want to eventually be able to do my body weight
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I just started lifting a couple of weeks ago myself so I'm not much help but do a search for a thread I just saw the other day. There is a thread called "Girls - How heavy do you lift? These ladies are rockin' it. They may be able to give you a little more advice. Good luck!
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If you're not already there, check out the Body Building and Strength Training groups here on MFP.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options