Day 1 of Exercise Failed - Need Encouragement

Options
So I'm 3 weeks into MFP, lost 13 pounds and decided to start exercising yesterday. I decided I would use EA Sports Active 2.

I decided to to the 3 week cardio boost on level easy since I live a very sedentary lifestyle. In the introduction with the trainer, it said that this is a very short workout and I should do other exercise today as well.

In any case, I couldn't even complete the FIRST workout - I collapsed only half way through! I feel like such a failure!

I'm so discouraged, if I can't even do one complete workout, I feel like I will never make it.

I am 5'3 and currently weigh 223 down from 236. Am I the only one this has happened to? Everyone else seems to be doing so well in the exercise thread.

Any advice?

Replies

• amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I fail in this area big time! Most of any of my weight loss is from cutting food back a lot. What I do is Wii Just Dance and the Fitness games for when I feel not so motivated. Take it slow and work yourself to each level, dont try to do it all at once. It might take time, but you will get there and can! Good luck!
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Keep at it!! You're just starting out and it will get easier and you WILL be able to complete it. Just don't give up! Trust me, making it through that first workout will be the best feeling EVER. If you can, you could also try pausing between exercises and taking a 1-2 minute (standing) break. This way you're resting and letting your body recover a little before moving on - you may be able to finish it this way and then gradually reduce the amount of rest between exercises until you don't rest anymore. Either way, just keep at it, it seems hopeless at first but you WILL have that "ah ha, I'm awesome" moment and its SOOO worth it.
  • KcR327ev
    KcR327ev Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

First of all, congrats on losing 13 lbs in 3 weeks, thats wonderful!!! Especially just on food cutbacks!!!

Second of all, exercise is hard! I remember when I first started exercising again. I decided to take a Zumba class thinking it would be fun and easy because I love to dance. It kicked my *kitten*!!! And the instructor considered it a beginner's class. I looked up your profile and you're 2 years older than me so I think we can relate to each other.

I started Zumba at 230 lbs, dropped about 15 lbs and ended up hurting my foot so I needed something else to take the weight off. I found MFP and have lost 6 lbs since I started that.

I'm finding the best way I'm losing the weight is to do both.

Please don't get discouraged! I recommend taking it easy at first, maybe take a few brisk walks to get your heart use to exercise. Do you have any weights? Do some basic weight lifting and ab work outs to build up some muscle. If it was easy, everyone would be in super awesome shape and people wouldnt eat the crap that make us fat in the first place!

Think about it, practice makes perfect. Have you ever played an instrument? Did you get through a song the first time you played it? Or how about cooking a complicated recipe from scratch...did it taste excellent and come out the way you planned at first?

You'll get there, don't put yourself down cuz you'll just talk yourself out of it!

Btw, I've been on a shortage of exercise since the end of October and can't get back into it so I understand what you're going through. Sometimes its hard to read these message boards and see how great other people are doing.

Take care,
    Casey
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I failed on my first day of exercise.... I did Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, level 1, completely modified, and still had to sit out a bunch. Then I collapsed on the floor and just laid there for an hour and a half until my husband came to find me.
    I used that feeling to motivated me for the next few months of workouts. I NEVER WANTED TO FEEL THAT WAY AGAIN!!!
    I now run 3-4 miles a day 4 or 5 days a week, and do circuit training one or two days a week. If I can get in shape, so can you. Juse do not give up! Try to do a bit better every day, every workout,
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't make it all the way through you haven't failed. You're pushing yourself as hard as you can go, and it's a LOT better than sitting around not doing anything!

I always have to remind myself that when I do weight stuff, I get annoyed if I just can't handle the full reps for every set... but it matters more that you're trying and giving it your all for however much you can do than that you make some arbitrary target. You'll get there if you keep working, and every second you spend working towards it counts for something and makes you stronger and healthier. Don't give up!
  • carrie145
    Options
    Don't give up!! The longer you do it, the easier it will become!
  • abc442486
    Options
    You guys are so encouraging! Thank you!

I guess I will try again tomorrow and see how it goes.

I appreciate everyone's words.

Maddymama, you made me laugh and feel so much better! That's exactly how I was yesterday.
  • dawgn49
    Options
    If you could only do 5 mins worth today try for 6 tomorrow. Don't focus on what you can do just focus on always doing more or better the next time.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You will get stronger, just start with little steps. When I started I could barely do 20min of Cardio, now I am doing 60-100min of High intensity cardio each day! So don't worry you will get stronger and stronger each time you do it, and it will become more and more easier as you lose weight :)
    Just keep doing a little more each time, as soon as it gets easy make it a little harder, if it's too hard make it a little easier and just work up your strength :)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    You will get stronger, just start with little steps. When I started I could barely do 20min of Cardio, now I am doing 60-100min of High intensity cardio each day! So don't worry you will get stronger and stronger each time you do it, and it will become more and more easier as you lose weight :)
    Just keep doing a little more each time, as soon as it gets easy make it a little harder, if it's too hard make it a little easier and just work up your strength :)

Exactly this. You didn't fail, you just started with something that you might be better off working up to. Even dancing around your living room like a crazy fool will burn calories, even shadow boxing will burn calories (and wheee will it ever wear you out!). There's also walking, stretching, yoga, tai chi, and lots of other things.
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    First of all - congrats on your first day of exercise! You did not fail, you did something new and even if you didn't reach your goal for today, its still more than you've done before, right? So give yourself credit for starting something new.

Exercise certainly is hard, but you WILL get better and it will take time to do so. Just be consistent and keep at it. Listen to your body, if you need a break, take a break, if you think you can push through another minute, 30 seconds, 10 seconds, etc. go for it. Your efforts, no matter how small you think they might be, are better than doing nothing at all.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Good gracious did I ever fail in the beginning! I felt like saying "**** it" and giving up-- SOOO happy I stuck with it. It gets SO much easier over time and is great for you! I never thought I'd be able to do some of the things I am doing now!

GOOD LUCK!
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it. Excercise is hard and it takes a few trys to find your groove and even what you like to do for excercise. Sometimes when I'm really unmotivated I say I'm going to go pretend to workout. By the time I get dressed and get going I'm fine but I have to let myself think I'm going to slack to get myself in the gym. Also I like classes. Specifically body pump and spin. 2 reasons...when other people are with you it keeps you engaged. also chances are you're not going to quit half way through class since you know everyone will see you walk out early. Good luck and just keep moving ...one day at a time.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It will get better if you keep at it! Focus on what you can do rather than what you can't do! XO
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Your body is being right on point as far as doing what you have been asking it to do. So, now you're asking it to do something new...it won't be able to right away but if you keep on asking, it will deliver! Just keep pushing and you will be amazed at how quickly you will progress. You CAN do it!
  • StephnElbow
    StephnElbow Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Dont freak yourself out! Its ok, we all start out where ever we start and thats nothing to be ashamed of. If you keep at it you will be able to finish the whole workout and then you will be able to add more and more. Its all about being patient and diligent. I just started running myself and 3 months ago running for 2 minutes straight sucked, and now I can run 10 minutes straight and be ok, and Im getting better every week. You will be able to complete the workout one day, that day was just not today. But definantly do not give up on working out :smile:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    that's normal. I always liked exercise even being really overweight, but when you do more than normal, for you that's exercising in general, it'll take time to build up endurance. a little bit at a time and you'll get better, and see improvements if you stick w/ it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    So I'm 3 weeks into MFP, lost 13 pounds and decided to start exercising yesterday. I decided I would use EA Sports Active 2.

I decided to to the 3 week cardio boost on level easy since I live a very sedentary lifestyle. In the introduction with the trainer, it said that this is a very short workout and I should do other exercise today as well.

In any case, I couldn't even complete the FIRST workout - I collapsed only half way through! I feel like such a failure!

I'm so discouraged, if I can't even do one complete workout, I feel like I will never make it.

I am 5'3 and currently weigh 223 down from 236. Am I the only one this has happened to? Everyone else seems to be doing so well in the exercise thread.

Any advice?
    You're trying to do something that's too advanced for you. Baby steps. Try walking first. Like a mile.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    It does get easier. Start small and stick with it. If you've been living a sedentary lifestyle, your body isn't used to all this movement and it needs more time to adapt. When I started the 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels I couldn't do jumping jacks for 30 seconds without stopping - now I just finished a 25 minute run. I share that to help encourage you that hundreds of people just like you are doing it, but even more aren't. Congratulations on being one of those ready to make a change and get moving!
  • abc442486
    Options
    Thank you so much! Each of you has been so encouraging - thanks for taking time to respond.