Why do we need so much fat?

Options
Hello everyone, first post! I read a lot on bb.com and it seems like 20% fat is what they say is a good range. I prefer to go by macros as do many knowledgeable people here. I see a lot of people saying.3-.5 times bodyweight for fat. If you are getting your essential fatty acids in fish oil then why do we need so much fat? I eat a good amount of healthy fats and saturated fats, I just need a better explanation. Thank you for your time.

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Sufficient fat intake is VERY important not only for proper brain function, but for moods, keeping your self from getting depression, etc.

Basically every single cell in your body need fatty acids to function properly.

Also, with sufficient fat intake you will not have dry skin, hair or nails and won't have a need for lotion and such.

20% fat intake to me is very low. I eat upwards of 60-70% fat intake every day.
  • Uncovering6pack
    Options
    Thank you! I knew that we needed it for brain function, as well as absorption and trasportation of many vitamins around the body. I get about 30-35% currently on some days, a little higher on others. Do you know why the 40/40/20 split is thrown out there so often? 20% seems low to me too.
  • jshish8
    jshish8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I knew that we needed it for brain function, as well as absorption and trasportation of many vitamins around the body. I get about 30-35% currently on some days, a little higher on others. Do you know why the 40/40/20 split is thrown out there so often? 20% seems low to me too.

There is no magical answer for macronutrient breakdown. The best thing you can do is start with something like 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat and then vary if and see how your body responds.

I am currently on 35% fat and it is working great (with 6x training days/week)
  • Uncovering6pack
    Options

There is no magical answer for macronutrient breakdown. The best thing you can do is start with something like 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat and then vary if and see how your body responds.

I am currently on 35% fat and it is working great (with 6x training days/week)

How I see it percent ratios aren't going to be a good way to go about it. If I happen to have a long run one day then my protein might shoot up to over 200 grams. At 123 pounds that is too much. Which is why I go with solid numbers, but I do not see the reason behind the fat number. I am not arguing it, I just like to know why I eat that way besides the fact that a reputable source told me so.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    If you reduce fat by necessity you will increase either protein or carbs. For most people it's carbs, which are generally less nutrient dense foods and can cause insulin swings. Everyone has their own nutritional philosophy. What you want to eat are healthy fats: nuts, avocado, olive oil, organic coconut oil.

I customized my MFP diet target to suit my low carb eating style. You can change the macro nutrients to suit your eating style.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Most people still believe that saturated fat is evil (which has been proven to be a myth) and that a "low fat" way of eating is the best way to go.

Those people are robbing their bodies by eating the low fat _____________ (name your product).

I know that a low fat way of eating contributed to my Vitamin D Deficiency, depression and suicide attempts.