Water intake/dehydration..

Options
Hi, I have been a good boy and have been drinking anywhere between 3-5 litres of water a day and I feel great, but, I wake up in the morning dehydrated it would seem, well I at least have quite dry lips. I have started having some staminade in the mornings to rehydrate but is there a way of stopping the morning dry's?

Replies

• joshuamhort
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have the same problem. I wake up with dry lips, even though I drink at least 80 fl oz a day (2.36 litres). This is a problem because I typically weigh myself in the mornings right after getting up. My scale has a %body fat and hydration levels. In order to get the right %BF, it is necessary to be properly hydrated. I don't know how to fix this problem.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    dry lips doesnt always mean dehydration

do you use heating or cooling while you sleep? do you have a window open or closed? how dry is the air in your bedroom? do you sleep with your mouth open?

If you arent thirsty then the easiest way to fix dry lips is to put some vaseline on your lips before bed.

If you wake up with a raging thirst as well as dry lips then its more likely a dehydration issue which can be caused from medications and diet etc. Prob best to go see a doc to make sure everything is fine if thats the case.
  • dizam
    dizam Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great job drinking all the water! I'm also have problems with dry mouth on the mornings. I googled about it, and I haven't found anything conclusive, as dry mouth it can be related with other things. Also, how often you go, and what color your pee is, might help to determinate your hydration levels.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you usually wake up in the middle of the night or not. I always keep water by my nightstands. When I woke up, I usually take a couple of sips and it makes me feel better. Don't think you are dehydrated but drinking water when you just wake up in the morning is great for your body
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I agree that it does not always be dehydration. Maybe you sleep with your mouth open and it drys out. We sleep with the fan on and it drys me out and I drink a gallon of water a day. Also watch your sodium intake. I notice that no matter if I get my water in or not if I consume something with high salt content the night before my mouth is super dry the next morning.
  • joshuamhort
    Options
    Also watch your sodium intake. I notice that no matter if I get my water in or not if I consume something with high salt content the night before my mouth is super dry the next morning.

This. I definitely need to start paying more attention to sodium. I was just thinking my problem might be sodium. My diary is viewable by everyone I think. I know, I don't make the best food choices but when you don't have complete control over the food being bought then you do as much damage control as possible.

Original poster, have you tried sleeping with a humidifier or something to maintain a set humidity in the room? Sometimes it helps
  • TriggerStorm1309
    TriggerStorm1309 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    if you are dehydrated then your urine will be dark yellow, though if you are hydrated then your urine will be clear. So when you wake up in the morning go by your urine color. if you wake up in the morning and have dark urine after drinking water all the previous day i would see a doctor a it could be a kidney problem.
  • Clinno
    Clinno Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanx all,

I have quite nice clear pee in the morning, so I guess its just dry lips, probably because I have a mild head cold an have been breathing through my mouth. Just wanted to make sure it was nothing more than that :)