200 calorie meal - does it exist?

Options

Replies

• melinda6569
    Options
    I think you shoul look up the Olivia method on here..
  • IsleOfThanet
    Options
    I guess it all depends on what you call a MEAL ...

It sounds like unnecessary self imposed torture to me. ... if you are eating 8 or nine 200 calorie meals a day it just seems like 8 or 9 times a day to be unsatisfied ... how about 3 - 500 calorie meals and 2 - 100 calorie snacks or fruit.

That said for 200 calorie .... how about an open face egg salad sandwich and 1/2 cup of celery stalks (all calories rounded).

1/2 cup celery stalks (10 cal)

Mash together with salt and pepper, 1 large boiled egg (80 cals), 2 teaspoons Kraft Mayo (70 cals) serve on Pepperage Farm Very Thin 100% Whole Wheat Bread - 1 slice (40 cals)
  • sammiB72
    Options
    Medium Sized Jacket Potato, salad and a few spoonfuls of tuna, forget the mayo tho and try some mustard for an extra kick.
    i find this really filling and you get your veggies in too.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Sure, I just had a very filling cup of homemade minestrone. 176 calories and I was struggling to finish it. I'm on the 1200 calorie plan as well, and usually break it up into five or six 200-300 calorie meals. Not hard at all.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Soups are my favorite for a low calorie meal!
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Vegetables - White Cabbage, 400 g
    Tesco - Bean Sprouts, 200 g
    Spinach - Raw, 100 g
    2 Tablespoons of soy sauce

Serves 3
    Calories Per Serving: 79

The servings are big and will fill you up, plus it's just nommy! :smile:
  • caramelcat
    Options
    Baked fish & veggies :heart:
  • MzBeauty2U
    MzBeauty2U Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Try grilling shrimp or baking in the oven.. the sm/med shrimp in the bag is only 77 calories for 3 oz.. with that you can do a salad with fat free dressing or steam veggies..
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    All Whites - Egg Whites, 3/8 cup ( 4 eggs)
    Generic - Salt Dash, 1 dash
    Pepperidge Farm - Light Style 7 Grain Bread, 2 slice
    cals140, carbs18, fat 0, Protein 14, Soduim 397

Add some bacon bits, peppers and onions to it for a couple more calories.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Salad can have very few calories espically if you use a spray dressing. Then add a Progresso Soup. The soup I had for lunch had 180 calories for the entire can!
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    1/2 cup of greek yogurt - nofat and a TON of water with it = 60 cal (feels like so much more)
    Then an hour later when the monster bites again - 1/2 cup of Pacific Natural Foods organic red pepper & tomato soup 55 plus one Wasa brand whole grain crisp bread - 40

If I'm really struggling... cider vinegar water - really cuts the hunger and wierdo that I am - I LOVE it.
  • tambamis
    tambamis Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the specific advice!
    From what I am hearing/seeing I'm just eating too much (I know duh) but
    I think I'm just so accustomed to eating "more" that a can of soup for dinner immediately makes me think I'M GOING TO STARVE so i want to go cry myself to sleep...but I guess I've never really tried it and listened to my body - not cry.
    I did squeeze in a workout so I got another 275 calories - GO RIPPED IN 30!
  • tinytinadeluca
    tinytinadeluca Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ViSalus Meal Replacement - 90 calories, Plain Almond milk - 60 calories. Flavor packet and lots of ice. It's thick, satisfying and a great choice for a healthy option!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    maybe 1200 isnt the right number for you...it sure isnt for me.

I doubt 1,200 calories is right for anyone. Except maybe a small child or a little person. It seems most want to select the maximum weightloss setting, this is not always best.
  • m0dizzle
    m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Salad with hard boiled egg and red wine vinegar. About 70 cals.Yum!
  • JobasIsaacs
    JobasIsaacs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the specific advice!
    From what I am hearing/seeing I'm just eating too much (I know duh) but
    I think I'm just so accustomed to eating "more" that a can of soup for dinner immediately makes me think I'M GOING TO STARVE so i want to go cry myself to sleep...but I guess I've never really tried it and listened to my body - not cry.
    I did squeeze in a workout so I got another 275 calories - GO RIPPED IN 30!

My view is it gets easier. Your body will get used to eating a "normal" amount of calories over time - whether 1,200 is "normal" for you, you need to work out for yourself. For me, early on at least, it was easier to maintain my calorie target if I planned my whole day (food wise) either when I got up or even the night before. Rather than thinking after lunch "OMG, I've just blown half my calories for the day", I'd know how I could manage my calorie count to ensure I had something to look forward to later in the day.

My biggest tip is to find something you like that's low cal AND filling, that becomes your "staple". There are some good suggestions here. One of my staples is steamed vegies - I now eat larger meals than I used to, but can stay under a reasonable calorie count by having a large pile of steamed veg with a small amount of meat instead of the other way round. If you've got nothing left but 200 calories, measure out 200 calories worth of fresh beans, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, brussel sprouts, spinach, peas and a small amount of carrots. Even if you're ravenous you'll struggle to finish them.

I couldn't do soups as I don't find them terribly filling. I'm okay with salads but personally I need to have variety in my salads to stay enthused about them (and it's often easy to accidentally choose a dressing that undoes all the good work). Best to experiment with what might work for you. But don't give up!!
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    egg whites! one of my favorite foods ever :D
    I am currently eating quite a lot of processed foods, but 3/4 cup egg beaters -- my favorite is the cheese kind, since I don't have to add any cheese -- and 1 morning star farms vegetarian "sausage" patty. 180 calories or so, a TON of protein and barely any carbs.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    egg whites! one of my favorite foods ever :D
    I am currently eating quite a lot of processed foods, but 3/4 cup egg beaters -- my favorite is the cheese kind, since I don't have to add any cheese -- and 1 morning star farms vegetarian "sausage" patty. 180 calories or so, a TON of protein and barely any carbs.
    This!

With 3 eggwhites (90 cal), add some fresh spinach or mushrooms, you will stay full all morning!

Chicken breast is another choice but you really have to make sure you are not eating more than 6 oz and no added fat/oil.

Big green salads with a 3 oz lean protein, no dressing, just salt pepper and vinager would be pretty safe too.

The other option is fat free plain yogurt with some berries.

But you will get tired of these if you eat every day. So plan ahead and leave a small treat for yourself by the end of the day.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Stirfry veggies with soya sauce and a half cup of rice. So delicious! you might even have enough left for an apple after supper. :)
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Stirfry veggies with soya sauce and a half cup of rice. So delicious! you might even have enough left for an apple after supper. :)

1/2 cup rice, how many calories are in this? One serving of my brown rice has 150. :(