Going over on natural sugars?

Options
Just a quick question about nutrients. I've been doing incredibly well with my food intake, hitting my goals in calories and proteins and going slightly below in my fats, carbs, and sodium. But I've hit a wall with sugar; I eat cantaloupe with lunch every day, and I'll usually eat another fruit or two when I'm home, which skyrockets my sugar intake. Should I consider this a bad thing, necessarily, as these are all natural sugars and not processed syrups?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit your calorie target, it won't hinder fat loss, no matter what type of sugar it is.
  • mathJargonista
    Options
    Awesome. Thank you so much!
  • jshish8
    jshish8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit your calorie target, it won't hinder fat loss, no matter what type of sugar it is.

Incorrect. You should limit your sugar intake whether it is natural or not. You never want to spike your insulin except after workouts.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options

Incorrect. You should limit your sugar intake whether it is natural or not. You never want to spike your insulin except after workouts.
    Eating just meat will spike our insulin.....now what? Anyway your answer was very nieve.
  • jshish8
    jshish8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Eating just meat will spike our insulin.....now what? Anyway your answer was very nieve.
    glycemic index.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options

glycemic index.

I think the only people that are really aware of the G.I. are the people with diabetic issues or anything alike. The type of sugar you consume doesn't really affect most anyone else, especially if the sugars are coming from complex carbs as opposed to simple, which sounds to be the case here. For *most* people, where weight loss is concerned, it doesn't matter what you eat, rather how much you eat. Calories in/calories out, that whole thing. And, of course, there's the whole fitness and being healthy aspect, in which case it WOULD matter what you eat and not just how much. In THIS case, however, I doubt insulin spikes are the worries.

Just my 2 cents.

Love and Alohas,
    ihilani Kapuniai
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question about nutrients. I've been doing incredibly well with my food intake, hitting my goals in calories and proteins and going slightly below in my fats, carbs, and sodium. But I've hit a wall with sugar; I eat cantaloupe with lunch every day, and I'll usually eat another fruit or two when I'm home, which skyrockets my sugar intake. Should I consider this a bad thing, necessarily, as these are all natural sugars and not processed syrups?

I wouldn't worry about it too much as the sugars you had came from fruit. If you're diabetic and/or keeping up with your sugar/glucose levels, then yeah, you'll definitely want to cut down a bit on your sugars in general. If diabetes or what have you isn't the case here, then no, I wouldn't worry about it. Complex carbs = good. Simple carbs = bad. Simple as that.

Hope this helps.

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • mathJargonista
    Options
    It did help quite a lot. I don't have diabetes, nor am I anywhere near at risk for it. I was always under the impression that sugars in fruits weren't completely unhealthy; I'm glad I now have confirmation of that. Thanks!
  • Shredded2011
    Options
    For the sake of it cut the melon and sweet fruit out just for a bit.
    Read Atkins / Dukan diet there are good explanations in there.

Simple sugars flour and refined products cause us to get fat.

This site helps with calories but there are ways of doing things.

Just cut the melon out for 2 weeks it can't be that important in your life. Have strawberrys they have less sugar in. :flowerforyou:
  • mathJargonista
    Options
    I would take your advice if I actually liked the taste of strawberries. Sadly, I'm not only a naturally picky eater, but I'm also allergic to a good deal of fruits; melon is one of the few things I agree with!
  • Shredded2011
    Options
    OK
    Sound like you really want the melon then.

If you need any help let me know and good luck