Pizza?

Options
I am still really new to this site. We're having Pizza for dinner. The web site doesn't give me any info. What should I put as my cal in take?

Replies

• Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You're in luck! Per our congress, pizza can now be considered a vegetable, so eat up!!!

but seriously - if you are ordering out - most of the chain pizza places have calorie info on-line. If you are buying a frozen pizza, it says on the box. If you are making homemade, you'll either have to use the recipe calculator to input all the ingredients and figure out how many calories per slice, or just estimate based on take-out/frozen calories.
  • delta90017
    Options
    MFP DOES have pizza info. Look under Dominoes. 350 cals per slice. Ouch!
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The place we order from doesn't have any info. I asked over the phone too and they couldn't give me any info, as they didn't know the answer. They where even nice and asked every one (I could hear them even ask). I don't want to go over my cals for the day. I just really want to enjoy one piece with out feeling like I went way over board.

The place we order from is NOT a national chain.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I would just use a chain's information. It isn't going to vary too much.
    I ordered Pizza Hut's thin crust veggie lovers with half the cheese and had to put it in as the regular because there is no way to estimate it with less cheese. There is no way the slice was that many calories, but I'd rather be under than over.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    With one meat topping I would say 300 cals a slice. A little less of it's just cheese, a little more if you have multiple meat toppings.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and weight the slice. Then compare to the weight of the similar type of pizza from a chain.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The place we order from doesn't have any info. I asked over the phone too and they couldn't give me any info, as they didn't know the answer. They where even nice and asked every one (I could hear them even ask). I don't want to go over my cals for the day. I just really want to enjoy one piece with out feeling like I went way over board.

The place we order from is NOT a national chain.

Enjoy one slice and don't worry if you go over your calories a little bit. A treat once in a while won't hurt you.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Where ever your ordering from you should google there website and it should tell you on there. GOOD LUCK WITH THE PIZZA!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Where ever your ordering from you should google there website and it should tell you on there. GOOD LUCK WITH THE PIZZA!
    OP said in previous comment:
    The place we order from doesn't have any info.
    Choose a similar pizza from Domino's or Pizza Hut. It'll be close enough.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    MFP DOES have pizza info. Look under Dominoes. 350 cals per slice. Ouch!
    Why "Ouch"? If it fits in your calorie goal, what's the problem? :drinker:
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
  • bartonkat
    Options
    Add the brand and it will come up, for example, Pizza Hut.
  • iamwildarose
    iamwildarose Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There is a listing for pizza parlor under "Generic- Pizza Parlor 16" pie" and it give the calories for a slice of plain pie. This is what I use when we order out from a local place
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    In the future, make home made pizza. (not frozen, get a pizza crust, whole wheat and add your toppings) -- This is what we do now, and you can eat half the pizza for like 500 calories. And if you don't eat fast food or pizza, home made pizza is pretty stinkin good! :)
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You're in luck! Per our congress, pizza can now be considered a vegetable, so eat up!!!

lol!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Just log it as a slice of whatever size / topping pizza mfp has. Dominoes, pizza hut, papa john's, it doesn't matter. The difference will hardly matter since we're talking estimations here.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Add the brand and it will come up, for example, Pizza Hut.
    OP made it clear that it's a local place with no nutritional info, and hence, not in the database. :noway:
  • ciaobellakiss
    Options
    Look up a generic/ typical slice of pizza.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with everyone... add one from the DB that sounds similar. If you're just having one slice and having sides of salad or veggies, you'll be fine.

The pizza place that I order from has way more toppings than Pizza Hut or Dominos, and a thicker crust, so I count one slice as two, and exercise a bit more that day (it's usually the weekend anyway... my big workout day... so I feel like I've earned it!)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    In the future, make home made pizza. (not frozen, get a pizza crust, whole wheat and add your toppings) -- This is what we do now, and you can eat half the pizza for like 500 calories. And if you don't eat fast food or pizza, home made pizza is pretty stinkin good! :)

I agree totally. I actually made a pizza today. Personal sized thin crust with sauce, chicken, bell pepper, onion, spinach, and real mozzarella. The WHOLE pizza was only 510 calories! I was shocked and really happy!