Canned Tuna -- YUK! Look for powder alternatives....

Options
I thought canned tuna would make me a real iron-man - the end all be all of health and fitness.

And canned tuna is the height of quality protein - right? After all it's certainly DISGUSTING enough right out of the can.
But now I found out it's loaded with sodium - 250mg -- OUCH!

They make a low sodium, but I just can't stomach any more canned meats of any kind. It smells like either dog or cat food.

I said I would get through this without resorting to expensive supplements, but to heck with that.

I need suggestions on powders - just pure soy, egg and whey. No sugar - no sodium - JUST PURE PROTEIN.

Is there such a thing?

Replies

• Phestr
    Phestr Posts: 37
    Options
    I use Muscle Milk, and it's pretty tasty. My father uses a pure protein powder...says it tastes like crap. I'll get the name of it for you and post it here.
  • paperm313
    Options
    if you hear anything, let me know. I've been taking Optimum Nutrition for a while, taste is good and doesnt have much sugar, plus its 24g of protein per scoop
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I use Muscle Milk, and it's pretty tasty. My father uses a pure protein powder...says it tastes like crap. I'll get the name of it for you and post it here.

Muscle Milk is full of sodium, artificial sweeteners, and chemicals.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (like chobani) is really high in protein...20 g for 6 oz. You can use it in recipes, in place of sour cream or cheesecake, to replace butter or oil in baked goods. I like Jay Robb protein powder (the tropical dreamsicle is awesome!). I also love my protein pancakes (25g for 3 small pancakes). Here is the recipe:
    1 cup + 2T. whole wheat flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 T. cinnamon
    1 t. pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 t. sea salt
    1/4 t. powdered stevia extract
    Mix together in bowl, then add in wet ingredients that you have blended together:
    1/2 c. pure pumpkin
    1/2 c. cottage cheese
    1/2 c. greek yogurt
    8 egg whites
    They are sooo good! I love them with sliced apple and almond butter. My hubby likes them with pure maple syrup, as do the kiddos.
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It's good to eat real food sometimes. Don't do tuna if you're not a fan of the taste, but if you like it, it's definitely a good source of protein. Most powders have sodium in them too.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    EGG WHITES
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    A couple scoops of Fortress Chocolate Whey Protein in a cup of greek yogurt packs a ton of protein and it's a lot better tasting than tuna ;)
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    What about tuna steaks and fillets. I grill them and their very high Protien ! Got to have real food, but agree....can't stand canned!
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    Your profile says you like whole foods. You should look at adding hemp hearts or hemp protein powder. Shrimp are also pretty tasty.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    egg whites!!!! you can just blend them into your smoothies.. anyway I totally thought this was a thread about powdered tuna...I was a little disappointed : ( lol