Hummus Recipes

Options
I recently tried making my own hummus with garbanzo beans, lemon juice, garlic cloves, tahini, pinch of salt, and some olive oil. I can only imagine that this is a very healthy snack, especially since I eat it with 15-calorie multigrain cakes. And, the hummus is DELICIOUS!

I was wondering what other healthy ingredients I could stick into the processor for some different flavors. Anyone have any favorite hummus recipes or ideas for extra ingredients?

:)

Replies

• Louloubelpe07
    Louloubelpe07 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use basically the same recipe for my hummus but chickpeas instead of garbanzo beans...soooo good! :)
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I usually try one of these additions:
    A small amount of harissa to give it a bit of a kick.
    fresh coriander.
    Ground cumin and coriander
  • overweightmike
    Options
    fresh coriander.

Thanks! I will try those - can you give me an idea of how much you would use for a 16-oz can of beans worth of hummus?
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    A couple of sundried tomatoes - the dried ones, rehydrated in a little warm water, or the ones in oil and just don't add as much oil to make up for what sticks to the tomatoes!
  • patricia184
    patricia184 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump...LOVE HUMMUS!! Looking for all the recipes I can get
  • alabughosh
    alabughosh Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like to roast my own red pepper over my gas stove and then blend it before the garbanzo beans so its very smooth. Just hold the red pepper with metal tongs over the flame or just set it right on top of the burner and let it burn for a while...do this until the skin gets black and charred. Then pop the pepper into a ziploc bag so the heat can steam it for about 5-10 minutes. Rub the charred skin off with your thumb, chop in half and get rid of the seeds. This is better than canned because it hasn't been soaking in olive oil so its way less calories. If you are using a 15 ounce can worth of beans, add one roasted pepper.

I also like to roast garlic at 400 for about an hour in the oven and then add a bunch of it because its soooo flavorful.

Also, I don't know if you are using any oil, but if you boil the beans until they are soft before you process them, and then reserve the cooking liquid, there is NO need for any oil! Its great! (If you need to) Just thin the hummus out with the cooking liquid that has all that garbanzo bean flavor from the boiling...and the result is so much smoother and creamier. My family is arabic and this is actually the authentic way to do it (no oil when making)...the oil is added at the end, drizzled on top of it in a big pool and then sprinkled with cumin.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Great idea with the cooking liquid instead oil. Thanks.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've also heard some who leave out the tahini. What are everyone's thoughts on that?
  • JennyJacobsen
    JennyJacobsen Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    I read that as "Human Recipes"... yep, I need a nap...
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like to add a lot of parsley and/or cilantro when I put all the ingredients in the food processor. And chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing in answer to one of the other posters.
  • Veganniee
    Options
    fresh coriander.

Thanks! I will try those - can you give me an idea of how much you would use for a 16-oz can of beans worth of hummus?

Not sure really. I'd start off with a teaspoon of harissa or spices and keep adding until it's right for you. I like quite a bit of flavour but my family prefers a lighter taste. I probably use 6 teaspoons altogether of cumin and ground coriander. For fresh coriander I add a handful.
  • Veganniee
    Options
    I've also heard some who leave out the tahini. What are everyone's thoughts on that?

I sometimes leave tahini out if I have other flavours. If I'm making plain i leave it in.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I use basically the same recipe for my hummus but chickpeas instead of garbanzo beans...soooo good! :)

Chickpeas and Garbanzo beans are the same thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickpea.

People in the US tend to call them Garbanzo beans (The spanish/portuguese word) but UK/AUS call them chickpeas.

Try the following:

Hairssa Paste
    Red/green pesto
    Coriander (Cilantro)
    carmelised red onion
    Fresh roasted beetroot (belend through or leave partially chunky)
    roasted pumpkin/butternut squash with cumin & chilli (either blend through or leave partially chunky)
    Fresh basil

P.s- I always use tahini.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    alabughosh - excellent suggestions. Thanks!
    I totally made a note for making some tonight using your tips. :)
  • jwf1942
    jwf1942 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Add some soybeans......take them out of the pod and cook them in water and then add with your other ingrediants in your processor.
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Any recipe suggestions for a VERY garlicky store bought hummus? I bought it to eat with carrots as a low cal. snack but it is a little to potent to be eaten out right. I guess I didn't take the "Garlic Lovers" description seriously.
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    bump