any teachers????

Options
Wellllll I fell off the wagon about 2 weeks after school started.... BUT I have to get back on! I teach 10th grade English at a school that is "going through some changes". These "changes" make it very stressful at work; therefore, I just want to go find chocolate. I also have 2 small children (2 and 8 months), so when I get home and do everything with my kids. I just want to veg after they go to bed. But I cant let that happen! I need some major support!

Replies

• 1carlyj
    1carlyj Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I understand!! I teach CTE/Cosmetology in a comprehensive high school to 11&12 graders and I need chocolate daily. Hang in there, things will get better. Have some sf hot chocolate like I just did. It was great and only 80 calories for 8 oz of warm chocolaty goodness..... Ok, back to situation at hand, Do you have anyone who can help you at home? If not get more help at school. I have a classroom ta and it rotates weekly. The ta gets an assignment pass for doing things to help me in the classroom. i know they can't grade papers due to Ferpa laws, but find stuff for them to do to lighten your load, like copies and cleaning. I hope this helps.
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    HS counselor here, feel free to add me.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    My slew of family members work in the school system.
  • JaeDeeCaterpillar
    JaeDeeCaterpillar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Not a teacher, but an elementary school secretary. I have massive respect for you teachers. It's one thing when I have kids in my office throughout the day, but to actually have them for hours everyday. I don't know how you all do it sometimes. ;)

I also have 2 young kids at home (3 & 6) So I can also sympathize with just wanting to relax when you get home, yet still having to do a ton of work.

It's hard finding a balance between all you do for the kids at school, kids at home, and doing stuff for yourself. Feel free to add me if you'd like. Willing to lend an ear and advice if I have it.
  • tekavincent
    tekavincent Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I fell off in October - just gave into the stress. Quit carrying lunches and was skipping meals and hitting the soda machine. Back on the vitamins and slowly easing back into the exercise. Did okay today - of course it's only the first day of the new semester. :D
  • moonnstarz60
    Options
    student teacher :) feel free to add me!
  • hbkanumalla
    hbkanumalla Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm a MS teacher. try switching out the chocolate for a fruit or something. It'll be hard at first (guilty stress-eater here), but soon you'll get the hang of it. I always try to take the stairs, but during the day it's a little hard. You could always try some fun DVD workouts.

If you want to rest at night, perhaps try to get up early and get a workout in then? If not, you could always sneak in a few 10-minute workouts throughout the day.

Feel free to add me if you'd like! Us teachers have to stick together!! :smile:
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm a music teacher..but don't have kids at home! I can't imagine your life! .

I pack a lot of food with me for the day, so during my prep or even during an after-school meeting (we have a lot...) I can whip out a piece of fruit and some almonds and stay satisfied until my next meal.

Good luck! Add me if you like.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    2nd year high school math teacher here! my school just got off academic probation this year...made for one INTERESTING first year of teaching. anywhos, i'm also the girls soccer and jv basketball coach so no only do i teach but then i got sports pretty much year round. i would suggest maybe gertting in a workout in before work. it really makes you feel so much better about your day!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I teach elementary school music and moonlight as a professional musician. Fortunately, there are a lot of really thin, fit teachers at my current school that inspire me. When I started teaching there 3 years ago, I suddenly found that I was one of the fattest teachers on staff -- a new experience for me. It motivated me to get off my butt and lose weight.
  • christyksanders
    Options
    I am an elementary school teacher teaching in a 2nd and 3rd grade loop. I live in Hawaii. Please add me if you want too. I would love to have more friends on MFP.
  • doctor_mike
    Options
    Does college teaching count? :) feel free to add me if it does
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    There's even a group full of teachers on MFP.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/350-teachers-take-charge
  • Boo_2806
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm a primary/junior school teacher and completely fell off the wagon a few weeks after school started. I'm looking to get started once again and get this weight off once and for all. Feel free to add me! Would love some support through this process :)
  • mkath4
    mkath4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am a third grade teacher with two active boys at home ( 7 and 10 years old). I completely understand the stress and need for chocolate. I put any chocolate that I get into my teaching partners closet. That way, I can still get that chocolate kids 1-2 times a day to help me make it to the end. I can only sneak in her room when the kids are gone. It helps. You can add me.
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Add me! I know how you feel! My middle school for 10 years got so stressful that I transferred. I thought teaching elementary would be easier (stupid me), and now I teach 3rd grade which gives me a new stress. When the hour ends, the brats don't leave! Hubby and kids think that when I get home I should be so emotionally available for them - ahhhhh! Summers are great - I have kid time, me time, and home time. When the school term starts, I lose everything.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Fellow teacher here, and there is a group for us too:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/350-teachers-take-charge
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Experience as adjunct professor and school psychologist. Feel free to get in touch.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yep, middle and high school English teacher here! Add me if you'd like!
  • OwlBGood
    OwlBGood Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a first grade teacher in NY- I have 3 kids and I totally understand the stress eating thing...guilty! Please add me if you want, I'm new and need some friends!