what time is best to stop eating for the day?

Options
What time is best to stop eating and what time do "YOU" stop eating for the day?

Replies

• annejuju
    annejuju Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If I'm out of calories OR have netted over 1200 and am no longer hungry.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    What time is best to stop eating and what time do "YOU" stop eating for the day?

Whichever comes first:

1) I am out of calories.
    2) I am asleep.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    there is no optimal or arbitrary best time to stop eating, for weight loss all that matters is a caloric deficit, you can eat right up till you go to bed
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. I eat my last meal a couple hours before bed, usually, but if I am hungry, I have another "last" meal, lol. Like others have said, there is no advantage to quitting eating a certain number of hours before bed. It's a horrible myth that everything you eat within that last 3 hours will turn to fat and you will wake up heavier and bloated...it's a myth that has been debunked many times, but people are still perpetuating it.

Just do whatever fits your schedule and leaves you satisfied, as long as you are hitting your calorie goal.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    My preference is to eat my last meal very, very close to bed time. I have, on occasion, taken a shake to bed with me.
  • Nishad530
    Options
    Well I just saw a Dr. Oz report that says that as long as you are under your calories for the day, it doesn't matter. It says that eating later in the day just means that you dont have as much time to burn calories off. I myself eat a small snack. (yogurt, apple) after dinner closer to bed to prevet me from night time snacking.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It says that eating later in the day just means that you dont have as much time to burn calories off.

That's ridiculous. You might not have as much time to exercise after you eat/before bed, but since the body takes up to 24 hours after eating to get rid of what you just ate, unless you plan on dying within the next 23.9 hours, you have the exact same digestion time. If you're really worried about it, do some fasted cardio in the morning.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    When you're asleep?
    I usually finish dinner an hour or two before I go to bed, but if I'm still hungry and have calories left I'll have a snack just before bed (milk, peanut butter, almonds, apple, chocolate).
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I try eating my last calories at least 2 hours before I hit bed i.e. around 7:30- 8 PM !
  • peanut_parker2
    peanut_parker2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Whichever comes first:

1) I am out of calories.
    2) I am asleep.
    IF YOU EXCERSIZE, DO YOU EAT THOSE CALORIES TOO? OR DO YOU JUST FORGET ABT THEM AND CONTINUE AS IF YOU HADN'T EXCERSIZED?
  • stephanie_salvi
    Options

Whichever comes first:

1) I am out of calories.
    2) I am asleep.
    IF YOU EXCERSIZE, DO YOU EAT THOSE CALORIES TOO? OR DO YOU JUST FORGET ABT THEM AND CONTINUE AS IF YOU HADN'T EXCERSIZED?

Depends if I'm hungry or not.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    AFTER MIDNIGHT OR YOU'LL TURN INTO A GREMLIN!!!!
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have diner 2-4 hours before bedtime but my favorite time of the day is about an hour after the meal: we stop everything we are doing and have fruits, a lot of them. It is not that much the feeling of satiation but the 45 min of "sharing" family time that feels good. I have a yogurt or milk 10 min before sleep as well because I noticed I would get quicker and beter into sleep.

Even though I would be over calories, I would keep these habits: not eating means that your body will keep your following calories in case it would happen again (you get your metabolism slower, which is opposite to weight loss). I would consider spending them (doing some sport) on the next day instead ^^
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. I eat my last meal a couple hours before bed, usually, but if I am hungry, I have another "last" meal, lol. Like others have said, there is no advantage to quitting eating a certain number of hours before bed. It's a horrible myth that everything you eat within that last 3 hours will turn to fat and you will wake up heavier and bloated...it's a myth that has been debunked many times, but people are still perpetuating it.

Just do whatever fits your schedule and leaves you satisfied, as long as you are hitting your calorie goal.

I didn't know that. I can go al day without eating much I get so hungry at night. I would rater have dinner much later as my lunch is like dinner. Everyone says that is so bad.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    well.blogs.nytimes.com/.../late-night-eating-linked-to-weight-gain/

According to this study it is NOT good to eat at night.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I try to finish before I go to sleep, as pizza on the side of the face is a bad look for me.

Whenever suits you, it's an average of calories over time that makes the difference. Just beware that if you eat late it will affect the next morning's weigh-in as the food's still in your gut.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Correlation=/=Causation.

Late night eating will lead to weight gain ONLY if it results in a caloric surplus.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I like to close out my diary for the day after dinner and after the kids are ready for bed. If I have calories left and know I'm having a small snack with my evening tea later then I'll add that in before I close it out and if not I'll just add the tea and close it. It helps me not eat a lot when I go back downstairs later because once it's closed for me it's closed.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I'm no longer hungry.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Correlation=/=Causation.

Late night eating will lead to weight gain ONLY if it results in a caloric surplus.

^ This. There's nothing physiologically wrong with late night eating.