plain oatmeal=bland oatmeal

Options
skwhatley
skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
i'm looking for some ideas of what to add to plain oatmeal to make it actually edible. what do you guys suggest/eat? thanks

Replies

• skwhatley
    skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i'm looking for some ideas of what to add to plain oatmeal to make it actually edible. what do you guys suggest/eat? thanks
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I put 1/4 cup sugar free syrup in mine. Quite tasty.
  • ismsdad
    ismsdad Posts: 2
    Options
    I dice up a sweet apple and toss that in to cook with the oatmeal. Then some walnuts or flax seeds after it's cooked.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I add cinnamon and a diced up a banana in mine. :flowerforyou:
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    in addition to a little syrup or honey, I also sometimes add cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, walnuts, fruit like bananas blueberries and/or strawberries, a little vanilla extract, etc. It usually doesn't taste bland at all, it is actually very delicious! :happy: My favorite combination is honey, nutmeg, vanilla, raisins and walnuts. Something else I do different with mine is that I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk instead of regular milk. It gives it a richer flavor. Good luck!
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I add 1/2 cup skim milk and a dash of vanilla after cooking and then either pumpkin pie spice with a TBSP dark brown sugar and some banana or a TBSP home made peanut butter and a TBSP of milk chocolate chips.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    chocolate chips!!
    The melt in the warm oatmeal... Mmmmm!
    I also add a tablespoon of PB.
  • losinglynn
    losinglynn Posts: 22
    Options
    I make my stove top oatmeal w/ vanilla almond breeze, ground flax & a diced banana.

Top w/ a spoonful of peanut butter, more sliced banana, a few sliced almonds, sprinkle of mini chocolate chips and a few raisins. So good and EXTREMELY filling!
  • Kirsten2577
    Kirsten2577 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love a 1/4 cup of wild blueberries....... Best ever MMmmm
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I add a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder!
  • lgolden
    lgolden Posts: 164
    Options
    To sweeten it up without adding sugar try Agave Nectar...so good!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I add Coffee mate French Vanilla (fat free)liquid
  • monteig
    monteig Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I add Trader Joes dried cranberries to mine - they are way better than the raisins my mom used to add!!

(This week I got the orange flavored ones and they are so delicious!)

There are only 96 calories in a 1/4 cup...and you maybe need half of that in a regular bowl of oatmeal.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been adding 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1/4 cup blueberries or blackberries, and 1 tsp cinnamon. It's really yummy!!
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal as plain oatmeal, rather than including all the fruits and nuts, but that's just me....
    I add toasted wheat germ and ground flax seed - it gives it a nutty flavour - along with a bit of brown sugar to be traditional. I also put in a small dash of salt, so it doesn't taste flat and glue-like. Before the sodium police comment....I really mean a small dash, balanced by avoiding other processed sodium laden foods.
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    Uh. A pinch of brown sugar, cinnamon and some raisins.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    about a teaspoon (measuring teaspoon, not the kind you eat with) of unpacked brown sugar,pinch of salt, and heaps of good quality cinnamon. Cinnamon helps keep your blood sugar level and a really good quality is available at Penzey's (online or at their retail stores if your town is lucky enough to have one). This to 1/3 cup dry oatmeal, made with water.
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I like to add the polaner all fruit jams. One tablespoon has 30 calories.