Intermittent fasting - who has tried it?

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I've used Martin's method without BCAA supplementation on a 16/8 window although realistically it's more like a 18/6 or 20/4 for me.

I don't view this protocol as physiologically advantageous but I absolutely love it, and I think meal timing/frequency should be driven by personal preference above all else (it's not all that important in comparison to hitting your macros).

My personal experience with this is as follows:

- It takes a few days to adjust to the fasted portion of the program and you need to let your body adjust to it before giving up and saying "this sucks". I THOUGHT (key word as I hate spreading crap info) I had read a study that ghrelin (hunger signaling hormone) actually adjusts to this schedule in that you'll produce less of it during the day once you adjust to the cycle, but I could be full of crap on that.

- Fasted training is awesome. Some people can do it, some can't. I LOVE it. I train very well fasted, and I do it when my schedule allows, but on days that I lift at 5pm I can't do it because it gives me TOO short of a feed window.

- Most importantly, short feed windows are AMAZING. Think of it this way: If you have 1800 calories to spend in a day, spending them in short window of time will make it FEEL like you're feasting. It's rewarding when the feed window starts because you've basically given yourself an opportunity to eat rather big and satisfying meals, whereas when you spread cals over 6 meals every 3 hours (just to use an opposite but realistic example) you get these little girly-*kitten* meals that just piss me off.

Shorter feed windows feel like more food once you adjust to the fasted portion of the program.

Lastly, while I'm speaking highly of IF/Leangains, I don't think it's for everyone. I think that scheduling your meal frequency/timing should be driven by personal preference and gym performance.

But, I do think there are people who will read about the concept and think "That sounds unhealthy to not eat breakfast" and dismiss it when they could find something that is a fantastic fit for them and really makes their diet easier.

For me, IF was a key piece to leaning out.
    -
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My opinion --for what it is worth-- is that the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat right and do some exercise each day. One day fasting might show a loss but it will not show up in the future days after you start eating again. I am only losing 0.8 lbs a week but it is consistent and I still enjoy my life by eating meals with my husband and friends.
    I agree completely with this. I've tried all the fad diets and none of them worked, most actually made things worse. I've got to make this a lifelong change that I can live with and keep up. I know for me all fasting would result in is binge eating, which is not productive in the least. Balanced healthy meals combined with a active lifestyle is what is going to get me the results I'm looking for.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    my body naturally wants to do intermittent fasting so I have always done it really, but now I focus on sticking with it. I like it because I would rather only have to prepare 2 meals a day and for me lunch and dinner are the healthiest meals I would eat anyways. it helped me get off night time snacking. And actually your body adjusts to it. Many people say they couldn't do it, etc, but same goes for low carb. You have to take it slow and allow your body to get used to it and start to feel the effects before giving up. IMO intermittent fasting is most worthwhile because it cuts out unnecessary snacking and allows you to focus more on making the meals you do eat complete and healthy.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I've used Martin's method without BCAA supplementation on a 16/8 window although realistically it's more like a 18/6 or 20/4 for me.

I don't view this protocol as physiologically advantageous but I absolutely love it, and I think meal timing/frequency should be driven by personal preference above all else (it's not all that important in comparison to hitting your macros).

My personal experience with this is as follows:

- It takes a few days to adjust to the fasted portion of the program and you need to let your body adjust to it before giving up and saying "this sucks". I THOUGHT (key word as I hate spreading crap info) I had read a study that ghrelin (hunger signaling hormone) actually adjusts to this schedule in that you'll produce less of it during the day once you adjust to the cycle, but I could be full of crap on that.

- Fasted training is awesome. Some people can do it, some can't. I LOVE it. I train very well fasted, and I do it when my schedule allows, but on days that I lift at 5pm I can't do it because it gives me TOO short of a feed window.

- Most importantly, short feed windows are AMAZING. Think of it this way: If you have 1800 calories to spend in a day, spending them in short window of time will make it FEEL like you're feasting. It's rewarding when the feed window starts because you've basically given yourself an opportunity to eat rather big and satisfying meals, whereas when you spread cals over 6 meals every 3 hours (just to use an opposite but realistic example) you get these little girly-*kitten* meals that just piss me off.

Shorter feed windows feel like more food once you adjust to the fasted portion of the program.

Lastly, while I'm speaking highly of IF/Leangains, I don't think it's for everyone. I think that scheduling your meal frequency/timing should be driven by personal preference and gym performance.

But, I do think there are people who will read about the concept and think "That sounds unhealthy to not eat breakfast" and dismiss it when they could find something that is a fantastic fit for them and really makes their diet easier.

For me, IF was a key piece to leaning out.
    -

Ironically for me, I followed this method pretty closely without even knowing it existed. Naturally, I don't normally want to eat much before noon, and if I do, I am much hungrier throughout the day. I tried to work so hard through the 'you must eat 6-7 small meals a day' mindset for years, and I never felt good doing it. Now I have coffee in the morning, water, and if I am really hungry, I will eat a meal in the morning on those days. I usually have my first meal between 11 and 1, and it is very small. I tend to eat a larger meal. Since I started listening to my body and doing this, I am slowly losing weight, but most importantly, my size is going down quite a bit. It isn't for everyone, just as eating several small meals a day isn't for everyone, but if you never felt quite right eating all of the smaller meals, this may be something worth trying.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My opinion --for what it is worth-- is that the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat right and do some exercise each day. One day fasting might show a loss but it will not show up in the future days after you start eating again. I am only losing 0.8 lbs a week but it is consistent and I still enjoy my life by eating meals with my husband and friends.
    I agree completely with this. I've tried all the fad diets and none of them worked, most actually made things worse. I've got to make this a lifelong change that I can live with and keep up. I know for me all fasting would result in is binge eating, which is not productive in the least. Balanced healthy meals combined with a active lifestyle is what is going to get me the results I'm looking for.

I don't fast for an entire day though ^^ I eat usually from around 11-7 or 12-8 depending on the day. However, if I am starving when I wake up or at night, I will eat. I eat when I am hungry and I don't when I am not. I listen to my body and it seems to work very well. Yes sometimes my body will signal to eat crap, I use common sense lol. However, when I eat clean I don't crave "crap" at all anymore usually
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I fasted once for 7 days. Living on water only. Some supplements. Did it after discussing it in a Pathology class. It met every Wednesday. Left class with a wild hair up my *ss and didn't eat again until after the next class. That was 24 years ago. just remember being very tired. Couldn't do it again now. Might try though, if someone wants to throw a challenge out there.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Wish people would actually take the effort and go read the site before attacking IF, it feels like they are insulting my mom haha
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting and eating disorder are two completely different things.

Please do not immediately assume that the word "fasting" means unhealthy. www.Leangains.com for better information on this subject. It is simply a different meal timing and quite honestly I think it's excellent.

Intermittent Fasting and long term fasting are also different things. Long term fasting can last days, IF is short term - you still eat during every 24 hour period, and you eat your caloric goals daily.
  • tracy287
    Options
    Fasting shouldn't really be a way to lose weight, do like a 24 hour fast to prove that food doesn't have control over you. one day won't mess up your metabolism. It is good for emotional eaters like me who use food to cope. fasting for one day proves to me that food doesn't control my life and I can survive for one day without it. It is explained in a book by Chantel Hobbs called The One Day Way, great book!
  • irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I fast daily for 16 hours. For example ... I eat from 12pm to 8pm and fast again until 12 pm the next day. This has helped my weight loss tremendously. When I eat just 2 larger meals a day I feel wayyyy more satisfied and do not feel the urge to snack or eat unhealthy because I am FULL !!! So essentially you just skip breakfast. After doing this for a few days your body adjust and I don't even get hungry until around noon. (I do drink coffee in the am though which they say is ok)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I fast daily for 16 hours. For example ... I eat from 12pm to 8pm and fast again until 12 pm the next day. This has helped my weight loss tremendously. When I eat just 2 larger meals a day I feel wayyyy more satisfied and do not feel the urge to snack or eat unhealthy because I am FULL !!! So essentially you just skip breakfast. After doing this for a few days your body adjust and I don't even get hungry until around noon. (I do drink coffee in the am though which they say is ok)

that's more or less the reason i do it, it's more convenient for me and i prefer larger meals vs a bunch of smaller meals
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is all very interesting.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I find it very intruiging that some of the leanest and strongest looking people I have met on this site have used intermittent fasting.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Sure!
    I've actually tried for ONE DAY with my friend just to see how people in less developed countries feel when there's not enough food. It was quite energising, it being only one day.

I haven't repeated it again yet but I want to though.

Anyone wanting to just fast with me?
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I started IF lean gaines-style about a month ago, stick to it pretty well but if I'm starving, I'll eat no matter if it's been 14 hours or not. I've lost a pants size and the scale is finally moving again.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Um, aren't you the same person who posted about wishing MFP would "clean up" all of the people with anorexia?

Research shows IF has multiple health benefits.

People die from anorexia.

Think that sums it up.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Wish people would actually take the effort and go read the site before attacking IF, it feels like they are insulting my mom haha

Actually, she wasn't attacking IF so much as she was the OP because of a different thread.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I find it very intruiging that some of the leanest and strongest looking people I have met on this site have used intermittent fasting.

I do too. I've wondered about it myself, but I'm not sure I could manage the initial hunger pangs. I've got my body on a 2-3 hour clock, and I am ravenous when I do eat.