Question!!!!!!!!

So why is it that when a rather plump person like my self walks into a gym people start to laugh and make side remarks. Obviously im there for a reason duh to change my lifestyle and you who is laughing jus makes it alot harder. I use to care keyword (use) hmmm now i don't because im like to hell with you lol i don't know you. I just focus on my future and that keeps me going! Has anyone had this happen to them?

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,162 Member
    I don't know but i probably laugh more (in my head) at the guys 20+ pounds heavier than me (also more muscle) lifting as much weight as me or even less
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    It's rude, but don't let other people's discourteousness stop you from forging ahead. Screw 'em.
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    I think that's disgusting! Your there because you want to improve they have no right to laugh I hope they fall off the treadmill!! I'd be tempted to mention it to the gym staff you shouldn't have to put up with it. Huge congrats on not letting it get to you, your 100 times better than them, keep up the good work I say :)
  • pascale485
    pascale485 Posts: 173 Member
    Some people never had to work for anything in their lives!!!
    Laughing at someone is easier than understanding that person and encouraging that person!
    I am in the same situation than you but sadly i let it get to me and now i just don't go to the university gym.... people point and stare and laugh!
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    I get so upset when I hear things like this. Shame on them! You just keep your head up and ignore them. I agree with prior poster-I hope they fall off the treadmill. And then drop a heavy weight on their feet too.

(((HUGS)))
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,162 Member
    I get so upset when I hear things like this. Shame on them! You just keep your head up and ignore them. I agree with prior poster-I hope they fall off the treadmill. And then drop a heavy weight on their feet too.

(((HUGS)))
    lol i wouldn't suggest that, i dropped a 25lb plate the other day on my pinky toe (not from a great height) but it hurt a little...
  • i actually admire it!!!
    It makes no sense really! Sometimes someone who is fit will look at some people who are struggling and wonder why they dont "do something about it" ...and then some of those same people will be the ones snickering that you mention. Really??
    You do your Thang Girl!!! Woot Woot!!
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 352 Member
    Ignore them this just tells me how small there minds are.....keep up the good work
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member

(((HUGS)))

i have to say the same, i get upset too.
    let that help in your motivation and don't ever let it deter you away from reaching your goals. You are a strong person and look at what you have already accomplished. Keep up your hard work and do it for yourself :)
  • You guys are wonderful! Thats right Screw em! Im there for me!!!! lol @falling off the treadmill! Pascale don't let those mf's get to you. I blast my ipod and pretend im the only one in the gym lol then after you finshed your workout walk out with a smile and chuck your deuces up at the LOSERS that laughed
  • So why is it that when a rather plump person like my self walks into a gym people start to laugh and make side remarks. Obviously im there for a reason duh to change my lifestyle and you who is laughing jus makes it alot harder. I use to care keyword (use) hmmm now i don't because im like to hell with you lol i don't know you. I just focus on my future and that keeps me going! Has anyone had this happen to them?

Don't let it bother you. I have the most respect for the gym rats that are overweight/obese who are there 6 days a week working their tail off to get healthy. Have you watched the biggest loser? I don't even know if I could make it through one of those 4-5 hour workout sessions & still be able to breathe. But those "plump" people (as you say), power through it and turn out stronger, happier, and better than most others. Just do you, and become the healthiest person you can be!
  • That is very True!!
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    So why is it that when a rather plump person like my self walks into a gym people start to laugh and make side remarks. Obviously im there for a reason duh to change my lifestyle and you who is laughing jus makes it alot harder. I use to care keyword (use) hmmm now i don't because im like to hell with you lol i don't know you. I just focus on my future and that keeps me going! Has anyone had this happen to them?

Don't let it bother you. I have the most respect for the gym rats that are overweight/obese who are there 6 days a week working their tail off to get healthy. Have you watched the biggest loser? I don't even know if I could make it through one of those 4-5 hour workout sessions & still be able to breathe. But those "plump" people (as you say), power through it and turn out stronger, happier, and better than most others. Just do you, and become the healthiest person you can be!

so true! i'm amazed at people on the biggest loser. their will and determination is incredible! and truly inspiring. :)
  • dia705
    dia705 Posts: 43
    I'm sorry this is happening to you. Forget about them, they are obviously shallow and not worth another thought. I am very lucky no matter even at my heaviest at my gym I've never encountered this minus one incident and at the time I was fried from the day and in no way going to take crap from anyone. I simply told the guy if I was as blessed as he was to be so thin as he was then I wouldn't be wasting it away doing meager workouts and left it at that. As I'd seen him for three weeks in a row do the same elliptical, no weights, nada. I then told him if he thought I was such a joke he might want to come train with me and i could show him a thing or two, and basically sweep him under the table."In a nice and joking way".... about three months later I had lost about 75 pounds and was training at my hardest and he decided to hire my trainer as well. She had us work out together doing medicine balls between one another and other random things and sure enough I SMOKED him in the gym he couldn't keep up with even half of the workout and after the 90 minute set worked himself into such a frenzy he ended up losing his lunch at the end of our final round of the workout (right before cool down). He then had to eat crow, and he actually took me aside to apologize for being such an *kitten* the very next day. Now when we see each other at the gym we catch up about our families and give knucks. Some people just don't get how hard we struggle to get to where we want to be and no matter what I'm still about 100 pounds away from what I want but at least ONE butthead got it and now I call him a friend :) Keep keeping on!
  • KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    i cannot go to a gym alone because of this.

its sad, but its true. there is def a stigma that goes along with being overweight.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    I don't laugh, I think to myself, she is better than a whole lot of other people out there still sitting on the couch munching on chips. At least she is trying.
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    i actually admire it!!!
    It makes no sense really! Sometimes someone who is fit will look at some people who are struggling and wonder why they dont "do something about it" ...and then some of those same people will be the ones snickering that you mention. Really??
    You do your Thang Girl!!! Woot Woot!!

^^^this^^^^

I feel you girl! I use to think the same thing but then these girls that are tiny beside me are working on the same machine at a lower rate and stop way before me and I started way before them! I just smile and keep it moving! It makes me feel great that I can work harder and longer then someone that is much smaller then me!! LOVE IT!!! Keep up the great work!! U got this!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    I have never once experience such rude behavior or seen it. You might have joined some place that's more a social club than a real gym where cliques rule the roost. I would hate to think of how I might have reacted if anybody had treated me that way.

I would have seriously hurt them. And then logged it as cardio:

"Bobby burned 63 calories doing 60 seconds of beating down 2 bullies in the gym"
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    I don't know but i probably laugh more (in my head) at the guys 20+ pounds heavier than me (also more muscle) lifting as much weight as me or even less

Perfect example of why I hate people. This remark is just as bad as laughing at overweight people.
    (Unless of course the guys are acting like complete muscle heads. )
    Just because someone is bigger than you doesn't mean they have been strength training as long, has good genes, etc.
  • omg! i'm soooo sorry that's happened to you! i just dont understand how people can be so mean! That's why i'm always so nervous about going to the gym... but you cant let people like that allow you to stop doing this for yourself. forget them. i know it's easier said than done, but ignore it. YOU CAN DO THIS! :)