Strength training goal-setting

Options
I have a pretty specific question. I am planning on adopting a child, I'm still in the waiting period obviously, and my child might weigh up to 20 kg (if the kid is 3-4 years old, which is a possibility at this point, although an infant is also a less-likely possibility).
Most parents build up to carrying their child around over time. I will basically need to be able to pick up and carry my kid around right away without going through the "growth" from newborn at 3 kg to toddler.
What should be my goal weights for the various strength training exercises with free weights in order to carry a child effortlessly for a short distance in a pick-up-and-walk situation and for several hours on my back on a hike or a long day at the zoo or something? I probably have about 2 or 3 years to build up to that (likely more but I don't like to think about that and I want to be prepared sooner).
For now in bodypump class I use 3 kg on each side of the barbell for squats and 2 kg on each side for everything else except shoulders where I can only manage 1 kg on each side -- if that. Yeah I'm not too strong -- just getting started with strength training, until now I always used 1.5 kg dumbells for Jillian Michaels programs

Replies

• lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I guess no lifters were on when I posted this. Trying again!
  • muskiemama
    Options
    I have been told to start at a weight that u can only lift 8 reps. Rest 45-60 seconds and do another 8 reps. Rest another 45-60 seconds and do another 8 reps. Then go to ur next exercise and do the same thing. You want to just barely be able to finish the last couple of reps. Once u get where u can comfortably lift that weight for 10 reps, it's time to up ur weight. Hope this helps.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You need to switch the type of weight training you are doing to more sets and reps instead of circuits like Jillian. If you really want to build strength rapidly, pick a weight you can barely lift for 5-6 reps (and the last rep should be all you can do to get it done with good form) and then do 2-3 sets of 5-6 reps each. With that amount of weight, you can rest up to 2 minutes between sets. You can still do the same exercises you've been doing, but be sure to split them up so that you don't do the same muscle group two days in a row. You have to allow adequate rest of the muscle group when you are doing weight training because the microscopic damage done to the muscle (what heals and makes you stronger) has to have 48 hours minimum to repair before working again. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. :wink: