Need some tips and help!

So, I have been working out 3-4 times a week and eating right for the past 3 months and starting today my schedule is completly changing for the next 4 weeks. I am starting a CNA class at night as a requirement for my RN program I am entering into in January. Here is the kicker, I am a social worker and work 8-5pm and my class is from 6-10pm Mon-Thurs (no time to drive home and make anything to eat since its out of the way)....I don't know how or when I will get workouts in except for on the weekend and eating right is going to be hard. What are some tips (nutrition/excercise) to get through the next 4 weeks without gaining weight! I am at a total loss!

Replies

• oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Real simple, Fri, Sat, Sun - do more on those days if you can.

If you can pack your food, do it! I find you really can't eat out and stick to a diet. Its so hard. Plus everything you get has way more calories than if you made it yourself.
  • Reiral
    Reiral Posts: 20
    Work out on the other days? Just make sure you don't pig out at night after classes by drinking hot tea or barley (it tastes not as plain as water)? With such a busy schedule it must be hard for you to find time to eat. Maybe you can bring some fruits and low fat yoghurt along? You can find some quick exercises on youtube to do. Most of them seems to last from 10 to 20 mins. =) Good luck! Rest well too!
  • Gemmageldmacher
    Gemmageldmacher Posts: 45 Member
    I totally sympathize - the last thing you need is that kind of schedule AND the holidays! When I'm slammed, I try to do my best, always trying to keep in mind the longer-term consequences of my decisions to get through the "right now" temptations to make bad decisions.

For example:
    "I'm tired right now and don't want to exercise...but I know if I get myself to do it, I will feel MUCH better later,"
    Or, "I'm craving something super sweet/salty/fatty right now, but I know if I have an apple and some peanut butter instead, I will feel MUCH better later,"
    Or, "I really want another 10 minutes of sleep, but I know if I get up and make my lunch instead I will feel MUCH better later."

But I would say most of all that you should NOT beat yourself up if you take a step or two backwards. Do your best, get through everything, and as soon as you're done, get back on the wagon and try to make up any lost ground. It's just 4 weeks - if you kick it into high gear in week 5, you'll be back to where you were in no time flat.

Good luck girlie, and good for you for taking that next step in your career!! Regardless of your diet and exercise schedule the next 4 weeks, you are still doing something GREAT for yourself, and in the end, that's what this is all about, right?
  • Couple of places to think about.. Chick fil a has a grilled sandwhich that is low cal and you can sub. fruit for fries. McDonalds has the southwest grilled chicken salad(no dressing) It's low cal and taste GREAT! Of course Subway is a good option as well. Try to pack your dinner but if you can't, make sure you know of some fast food dining options. Prepare yourself now so that you don't make bad decissions on the go. I'd look at MFP and type in some of the fast food resturatns around your school and see what other options are available. It's not ideal to eat out but in your case it looks like you probably don't have any other option.

I have been using my crockpot a lot to make a big batch of food. Then I portion it out in tuperware so Chris has lunch and dinner at the fire station. You would probably have to do this over the weekend though since you aren't home durring the weeks. You can do it girl! You have come to far to go back now!
  • megcalvert
    megcalvert Posts: 115 Member
    Couple of places to think about.. Chick fil a has a grilled sandwhich that is low cal and you can sub. fruit for fries. McDonalds has the southwest grilled chicken salad(no dressing) It's low cal and taste GREAT! Of course Subway is a good option as well. Try to pack your dinner but if you can't, make sure you know of some fast food dining options. Prepare yourself now so that you don't make bad decissions on the go. I'd look at MFP and type in some of the fast food resturatns around your school and see what other options are available. It's not ideal to eat out but in your case it looks like you probably don't have any other option.

I have been using my crockpot a lot to make a big batch of food. Then I portion it out in tuperware so Chris has lunch and dinner at the fire station. You would probably have to do this over the weekend though since you aren't home durring the weeks. You can do it girl! You have come to far to go back now!

Thanks Heather! I hate eating fast food and havent really in the past 3 months except for pizza here and there and of course subway. I try to pack my lunch everyday...its just the getting home at 11pm and being hungry part that I'm worried about. Thanks for the tips!! I use my crockpot a lot too, I need to make batches on the weekends tho, that will help!!