Orthotricyclin

Options
Has anyone had weight gain with this birth control pill? Ever since I've been on it I've gained weight and haven't been able to loose any.

Replies

• ant210
    ant210 Posts: 19
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor? I think back years ago I was on one that did the same thing. I remember my doc putting me on a lower dose pill. I was on Lo Ovral 28 for years with no weight issues and few pimples. I recently just got off of it and I am now packing on the pounds and have pimples.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    That was the first BC my doctor put me on when I was in high school for polycystic ovaries. I gained weight. I know they say that it's not true, that you don't gain weight, and maybe it's true. I know that I didn't just eat more because I've lived in a house where most of what I ate my parents monitored, even in high school. I had put on so much weight, that my dad told my mom that he wanted me to get off that and if I had to be on it then to get me on a different kind. I have been on YAZ for a couple of years now and haven't had any weight gain from it.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I've tried a couple of different birth controls and they all made me gain weight like crazy. Plus they make me psycho. Lol. So I decided it's best for me to just stay away from the pill.
  • ecalonge
    Options
    YES!!!! I've tried many over the years (everything from orthocyclen, orthotricyclen, orthonovum,generic yasmin, brand yasmin,etc).

We can gain a little in water weight/fluid retatention but personallly I've felt always felt ravenously hungry on certain ones. I researched the pill a few years ago and found out that some progestin-dominant pills can cause appetite increase and weight gain (not because of the pill directly, but because the hormones make it alot harder for us to control our eating). And Pill-related depression can also cause these too. Either hormonal component of the Pill (the estrogen or progestrone) can cause different side effects and i had to just choose the lesser of the two evils. If I wanted clear skin and to not have the moodiness, then i gain tons of weight. If switched pills cause I didnt want to gain weight, then the flip side would be very depression/moody and break out in acne.

2 years ago, I just decided to get off of it completely and give me body a break. Gotta be extra careful, but it feels so much better to have control of my body and mind again. The Pill is one of the greatest inventions ever! Too bad it makes our bodies crazy :(

This is a good website that descibes the different pills and their side effects.

http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm
  • deepbluesea
    Options
    i had this same problem then switched to orthocyclin (different from the tri bc it has a steady dose of hormone and not a staggered dose) anyway.. it solved the weight gain problem... something to think about..
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    im about to call the dr to get my man snipped...this **** is driving me crazy and im ready to move the freak on with this already...

sorry for the mini rant..see? ****'s driving me crazy..and fat to boot!
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    nope i never had any gain while taking it
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I was on it for 3 years at one point and yes I did gain weight, but I suspect that was more due to the fact that I was happy in my relationship (never had been before) which caused me to slack off on exercising and I started eating the same things my boyfriend ate. I.e. eating way too much for my size. LOL I don't think the pill directly caused me to gain weight, I just happened to be on the pill at the same time that I stopped working out and started eating too much. Correlation =/= causation. :-)

ETA: Oops, for the sake of accuracy, I was on Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    im about to call the dr to get my man snipped...this **** is driving me crazy and im ready to move the freak on with this already...

sorry for the mini rant..see? ****'s driving me crazy..and fat to boot!

Haha! This ^^^^^ I think being on BCP's is hindering any weightloss for me also.......for 3 wks before period I eat like a cow....then week of I don't eat much.....weird!
  • LoSena
    LoSena Posts: 14
    Options
    have you thought about getting the mierna IUD! it's great for 5 years & no weight gain or pimples!

cons: backpain & spotting
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,279 Member
    Options
    I did see weight gain during the time I was on Ortho. Now, no way to be sure it was the pills because it wasn't exactly a controlled study, but the timing was right. Currently I am on a generic Seasonique and am doing okay. I have not had any issues losing weight so far (and I know any weight gain was because I ate like an idiot).
  • kiqno
    kiqno Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I took Ortthotricyclin for about 2 yrs and Orthotricyclin Low for about a year. I don't think they effected my weight...I'm sure that had to do with my eating crappy and working all the time - thus never exercising. However, I do very much dislike the Pill because it changed my moods. *TMI* It made my sexual desire go to zilch. I mean the whole reason I got on the Pill in the first place was for sex with my husband and then I no longer wanted sex any more...talk about a Catch 22! Lol I ended up going off it because of the mood changes and the higher cost of the actual prescription. Strange thing is, I have not been on any type of birth control for about 3 years now, and I have never gotten pregnant.....I often wonder if taking the Pill has something to do with it... I'm not really trying to get pregnant right now (if it happens, great - if it doesn't, thats ok too) so I can't complain.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Most pills do not cause weight gain... it's usually eating more due to hormone changes.

I didn't gain weight on that pill... actually lost however I had to stop taking it because it gave me terrible migraines everyday.
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The fake estrogen increases your appetite.
    I took a month off of Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and lost almost a pound a week over the summer.
    I went back on it, and while my loss has been slower, it's still happening.
    Just got to make every workout count :)