starvation mode on accident?

Options
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips here. I'm beginning to wonder if I've accidentally put my metabolism into starvation mode by not eating enough... because I met my calorie goal all this week, but I gained 2 pounds since last week.

I have my activity level set to sedentary, because I can't exercise right now because I broke my foot. I had been exercising about 3 days a week before that. I also have it set to lose 2 lbs/week, and the "estimated weight loss" thing says that I should be losing 1.8 lbs/week.

I weigh 192 lbs right now (was 190 last week), and I've been eating 1200 calories/day. I'm 5 feet, 7 inches tall. I haven't felt all that hungry, and I don't generally eat that much anyway, so it hasn't been that difficult. I don't feel like I'm starving or anything.

Should I be eating more calories in order to lose weight? Or is it just because I haven't been able to exercise? Or is it possible that because I weighed myself right after showering that the water in my hair made me heavier (I have thick hair about 3 inches past my shoulders)?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear, track long term trends

and no you did not put your body into "starvation mode" although you likely can eat a lot more and still be losing weight
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    How's your sodium intake and what 'time of month' is it? If your sodium has been high or if it's 'about that time' you could be holding onto water weight. Or if you weighed yourself under different conditions (different time of day in relation to eating/bathroom habits/etc) it could just be that you're seeing part of your normal daily fluctuations. My weight can fluctuate several pounds throughout the day based on eating/drinking/bathroom habits. And yes weighing yourself soaking wet will have an affect on the scale b/c you are weighing both yourself and the water on your body/hair. Try weighing again after you're all dry and see how different it is. :-)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think the following things:

1) You aren't in starvation mode.
    2) You could probably up your calories a bit, or at least eat some exercise calories back if you don't already. This opinion is tangential to your post, it's just something I'm throwing in as a bonus opinion.
    3) The difference in weight from this week to last week is not fat gain.
    4) One week is a very small time frame to make any decisions or changes to your plan.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    tangential

Wow! I just learned something else from you Side! LOL!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    tangential

Wow! I just learned something else from you Side! LOL!

I'm not even sure I used that word correctly. I'm not even sure it's a word LOL.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any painkillers? Some of those can make you hold water, so you aren't actually gaining weight, but holding extra water. I am not sure, but you could be holding extra water as your body heals the break in your foot as well. (just a possible thought, not held up by any research or studies)
  • sarahkenna13
    Options
    vim_n_vigor- I actually am taking some painkillers for my foot, I had completely forgotten about that side effect. Good point.

Sidesteal- yes, tangential is a word and you used it correctly lol :)

CMmrsfloyd- I am actually on a high-sodium diet from my doctor because I have very low blood pressure unless I have a ridiculously high sodium intake. It's the only thing my doctors have been able to think of to keep me from fainting all the time.
  • rafor
    rafor Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Definitely seems like you should up your calories and you might look into increasing your cardio to eat more calories and lose more weight. Exercise is part of the treatment for low blood pressure also. Considering the high sodium diet your doctor put you on, you might want to request that he order blood test done. You may have hyperkalemia (high potassium level) which can cause low blood pressure. The doctor may have you take a Calcium supplement as Calcium helps with the regulation of potassium.