Low Cal Veg meals on a college budget??

Options
m0dizzle
m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
So, starving college student here. I'm so sick of eating salads and omelets, but with my budget I've run out of vegetarian ideas! Any advice?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. Feel free to look at my diary for some inspiration!
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    hummus, oatmeal, smoothies, soup, pasta, fruit....
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Get a large can of tomato soup and add a bag of frozen mixed veggies to it. You'll have about 3 filling meals. It's a bit high in sodium but it's cheap!

I also like to spread hummus on a tostada, add about 1/8 cup of shredded cheese and microwave. Top with shredded lettuce and salsa. A package of tostadas and a carton of hummus makes at least a dozen of these.
  • m0dizzle
    Options
    Get a large can of tomato soup and add a bag of frozen mixed veggies to it. You'll have about 3 filling meals. It's a bit high in sodium but it's cheap!

I also like to spread hummus on a tostada, add about 1/8 cup of shredded cheese and microwave. Top with shredded lettuce and salsa. A package of tostadas and a carton of hummus makes at least a dozen of these.

Yum! The hummus one sounds great! thanks!
  • jenna25
    jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    agreed! need new easy low cal recipes! :)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Get the book Vegan on the cheap. Even if you don't eat vegan you can substitute dairy or what have you if you like. All the recipes are very tasty!
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Low carb large tortilla (60 calories)
    1/3 cup black beans (74 calories)
    1/4 RoTel (or generic grocery store version) (10 calories)
    1/4 cup Texturized Vegetable Protein (80 calories) seasoned with 2 tsp Taco seasoning (15 calories)
    Shredded Lettuce (5 calories)

244 calories for a very filling burrito.. I had this last night and it was awesome. Canned beans and tomatoes are very inexpensive, and TVP ends up being pretty cheap because you get so many servings out of a package. You can add cheese, take away beans, whatever you want. And hot sauce is low or no calorie if you want it spicy.
    Make sure you look online for how to properly prepare TVP if you don't already know. :)
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    large bag of rice/cous cous/quinoa ,frozen bags of veggies.
    If you buy vegetable stock ,a packet of soup mix,can of tomato paste and through in all those little bits of letover veggies you have you end up with a pot of soup that'll last you a week +
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    LENTILS (dried in the bag) Don't need to be soaked, like most other dried beans need to be soaked.

When I was in college I put up a pot of brown rice, add lentils, and veg. (fresh or frozen) Usually, carrots, onions, garlic and something green. Simmer that on the stove for about 20-25 minutes and everything is done.

I also used to get TOFU from the green grocer (till I found out I was allergic) and stir fry up some veg, then add the tofu and some sauce.

In college I lived on Hard boiled EGGS, CARROTS, PEANUTBUTTER, WHOLE WHEAT BREAD and unsweetened ICED TEA
    (okay, there were some ramen noodles in there to, but I can hardly call them "clean" never use the packet that came and always added some veg.)

SWEET POTATOES are one of my new favorites. I used to do this with a white potato but it could work with sweet and give you a lot more bang for your buck nutritionally.

One thinly sliced potato, a 10 oz pack of spinach- drained, and some slices of muenster cheese.
    Layer it all in an oven-proof dish and bake for about 30 minutes, until potato was cooked thru and the cheese brown and bubbly.

(okay, I was in college before anyone heard of a microwave, but you probably could zap it until the potatoes are cooked, add the last layer of cheese on top and stick in a hot oven for 5 minutes or so to melt and brown it up.)

Potato + Cheese = a complete protein and spinach is your veg
  • clrothchild
    clrothchild Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have found too that making casseroles and freezing for later saves money and time. I have also found that adding pureed white beans (easy to make in a day in the crock pot) increases the protein and adds fiber. It's easy with portion control you will feel fuller faster but of course that doesn't look like a problem you have :) I have also made black beans and rice in the crock using veggie broth and making into burritos and baking then top with a small amount of cheese. Filling, protein, and cheap.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Get you spaghetti squash. Cut in half. Remove seeds. Salt, pepper to taste. Put 1/2 in the microwave with the cut end facing down for 11 minutes on high.
    Take out and scratch the insides out with a fork. Top with canned spaghetti sauce and grated parmesan cheese.

Or, just the grated parmesan cheese.

I eat this a couple of times a week. It is easy to take and make at work. I pour the spaghetti sauce in an ice cube tray and put in freezer till frozen. Pop them all into a ziplock bag and store in freezer. Take 3 out and heat in microwave as needed. About 30 calories for all three.

The other half of the squash can be stored in the fridge for about a week.

Hope you give it a try. I think you will like it.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Beans, squash, cauliflower, cabbage, potatoes, eggs, quinoa.
  • El12abeth
    El12abeth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would recommend this recipe for you. I use it for work lunches - you don't really need the curry paste which adds to the cost.
    The spices I buy at a store with a bulk section which is cheaper than the jarred, and I but the red lentils from the bulk bins. It's better if the ginger and garlic are added in with the onions, and throw some frozen green beans or spinach in.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/red-lentil-curry/detail.aspx
  • El12abeth
    El12abeth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also if you use a cheap can of tomato paste, it will make 4 times this recipe. Just use a quarter of the tomato paste can with a half cup or so of water to sub for the tomato purree. A can cost about 35 cents, its the little can about half size as regular canned food.
  • mwilson57
    mwilson57 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just found this website today, someone else posted it on a different message board. Looks like she's got a lot of vegetarian recipes.

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com
  • stephanie_salvi
    Options
    One of my favorites: oatmeal loaded with spinach, with a sunny-side up egg (or half of a hard boiled egg, if I need fewer calories) on top or a quarter cup of low-fat cheese mixed in. Frozen spinach is cheaper than fresh, just make sure you defrost it and then squeeze the water out so that you don't end up with green oatmeal soup.
  • m0dizzle
    Options
    Get you spaghetti squash. Cut in half. Remove seeds. Salt, pepper to taste. Put 1/2 in the microwave with the cut end facing down for 11 minutes on high.
    Take out and scratch the insides out with a fork. Top with canned spaghetti sauce and grated parmesan cheese.

Or, just the grated parmesan cheese.

I eat this a couple of times a week. It is easy to take and make at work. I pour the spaghetti sauce in an ice cube tray and put in freezer till frozen. Pop them all into a ziplock bag and store in freezer. Take 3 out and heat in microwave as needed. About 30 calories for all three.

The other half of the squash can be stored in the fridge for about a week.

Hope you give it a try. I think you will like it.

I LOVE spaghetti squash- never thought about freezing it! Thanks!!
  • scamberlous
    Options
    You should check out the recipes on this website from the New York Times. Yes, it says salad, but it's really just a bunch of different veggie combinations with awesome low cal dressings and sauces. The curried chickpea salad is my favorite! Soooo good and it makes a HUGE portion, especially if you use dried beans! Good luck in school!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Lentils, beans and frozen veggies! There are so many possibilities! One of my favorites is my chili that I use garlic, onions, jalepeno, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper powder, black beans, kidney beans, chili beans (make sure they are veggie style), canned tomato, low sodium vegetable broth, and frozen corn. I cook the garlic and onions in the smallest amount of olive oil until they have a beautiful color on them, add the jalepeno, then add a whole bunch of chili powder (like a tablespoon or so), cumin (teaspoonish) and cayenne pepper (as much as you'd like) and the canned tomatoes and cook until almost all of the tomato liquid is gone. Add the vegetable broth and scape all that yumminess out of the bottom of the pan. Add the black and kidney beans (rinse first) and chili beans, frozen corn - season more and let cook for a half hour and eat from there (with a small amoutn of low fat cheese and FF sour cream if you eat dairy) or serve over the smallest pile of lentils. Delicious and cheap!