Newlywed Newbie

Options
Hey, everyone!

I am a recent newlywed who is looking to lose the roughly 40-50lbs I gained during the five years we dated. For the most part the weight was gained b/c I was happy and in love and was constantly cooking meals large enough for four people rather than two, but I also suffered from a severe back injury that kept me in pain on a constant basis which caused me to stay on the couch rather than be active. I would love to be able to use my injury as my full excuse for the gain, but I'm not on here to hide the facts so, in truth, I was never much of an exerciser any way! In fact, I hated it! I would rather go all day restricting my calories and food intake rather than eat healthy and go to they gym! Anywho, now that we are older and wiser (and I've have had back surgery), my husband and I are hoping to follow in my brother's footsteps (he introduced us to this website) and make full blown lifestyle changes so we can pave a healthier way for our future children. I still have some serious pain issues, so I have to stick with doing low impact exercises i.e. no jogging, sports involving twisting & turning, so if there is anyone out there with similar issues, I would love some advice on exercises I can do! Thanks for listening, and I'm looking forward to posting more in the future!

Replies

• charmainecurrie
    Options
    welcome
    feel free to add me:)
  • ant210
    ant210 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi, welcome to MFP. I am a newlywed too...and also 30 pounds over weight. I packed on pounds a month before my wedding(this past June) and more in the last 6 months. I haven't gone through what you went through but I do understand how hard it is.

I used MFP months before the wedding and it worked....sadly I stressed with the wedding and ate too much. Now I think my husband and I go out too much...happy days! LOL

Good luck.....hang in there. It is literally Day Two for me.....
  • Jasonhannen
    Options
    Hey Congrats on your marriage.

I got married on August 19th 2011 to a wonderful lady so I share your joy.

Cross Trainers are low impact, a lot of runners use them when they have injuries but they might not be so good movement wise.

I'm no expert but my best advice is drink to shrink. 2 litres of water a day will help combat snacking, aid weight loss and good health.

Good for you for taking some positive action and I hope you find the rewards you are looking for.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the wedding :):) Welcome to MFP...although I have no injuries of your kind, I am here to make full blown lifestyle changes. I've been through the caloric restricting weight loss process way too many times and have come to realize that unless whatever u do can be sustained in the long run, it is as good as useless because the weight will creep back in. I've lost 2 lbs in the last 1.5 months...it might be slow by some standards but I intend to keep the weight off, forever.

My father has a lower back problem and the way he keeps fit is by going out for morning walks as if his life depended on it. I am not sure about this but I've heard tht the elliptical can be a good machine for some low-impact workout..I got one to keep at home and I love it...I could recommend it to you if you want. I've also heard tht using an exercise ball for non-cardio exercises helps to keep good form. Bunch of random ideas...but this is all I have! Add me if you want!
  • Tarheelgrl4life
    Options
    Welcome! Congrats on the new marriage and starting this new lifestyle!
  • shelli1982
    Options
    congratulations and welcome!! I can empathize, I gained about 45 lbs after I got married cos I was so happy! Good luck! Feel free to add me :)
  • mcschu
    mcschu Posts: 20
    Options
    I understand! I just got married, too and pre-wedding stress and post-wedding fun have really done a number on my prior habits. I'm slowly getting back on the wagon. You can do it! Good luck!
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    Walking is low impact. I would suggest that. Use a treadmill, walk outside, or if you live a cold climate, go walk your local mall early in the morning before the stores open. Arthritis runs in my family...and in the winter, my knees give me fits (and I just turned 32 yesterday)...but, I find that if I walk 30 minutes a day, my knee pain isn't near as bad in the winter.

Congrats on the marriage. And best of luck with the weight loss!! :)
  • mzprettiekittie
    mzprettiekittie Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome to the site. Hope you find all you need here to get you on your way. Feel free to add me x
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ohh I think alot of us old married folk know what its like to put some pounds on after we find someone we have fallin in love with and feel comfy with. Anyhow, best of luck to you on your journey and I know you will find as I did a great support system here at MFP. People here are pretty great here and are willing to help you along the way. Best of luck and feel free to add me as well =)
  • melinda6569
    Options
    I have a buldging disk in my back that cause pain in my left hip all the way down my leg. I tend to stick to the treadmil. Sometimes on days when it feels good i will do intervals. I like to lift wieghts, chest arms and back. Sit ups are hard i don't think i will ever get rid of my belly but i will die trying..also strectching helps out the more i stretch the less pain i am in. Good luck to you

Congratulations on the marriage..
  • Prozack1964
    Options
    hello and welcome here hope you have a great day
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I got married August 12, 2011... feel free to add me :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    We are VERY similar, you should add me :) My hubby and I both gained weight when we started dating because we love to cook for each other. I have lupus, so my exercise is restricted. I walk a lot and I can do a stationary bike or pilates. Right now I am trying a low impact aerobics video.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you. I too suffer from back issues (herniated discs). Luckily not bad enough for surgery yet and with any luch the disc will just degenerate before that happens since I have degenerative disc disease as well. Rarely do I have to restrict my exercise, but try to follow a rule of thumb that if it hurts or bothers my back I don't do it. I try to do the eliptical a couple times a week and circuit train the rest of the week. There are a few machines that aggravate my back so I will either reduce the weight I lift or if it is bad enough give that one a break.

I have found that by strengthening my core it is helping to relieve the stress on the back. Of course you always want to stretch when finished. I would definitely suggest talking to your doctor before starting anything to hard core just to make sure it is OK to start. You don't want to go through it again! I would stay away from Tai Bo, that really bothers me.

Good luck and I hope that you find something you enjoy. Walking is always a good option.
  • Adventuretown
    Adventuretown Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I, too, am a newlywed. I will add you :)
  • MrsVDDS
    Options
    Welcome! I am a newlywed as well and was at a comfortable weight when I met my hubby. Being in love, dating, and all that good stuff is what caused me to put on weight as well! Doesn't help that my hubby can eat whatever he wants and doesn't gain a lb! Feel free to add me. :)
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Oh My God !! Looks like I am reading my own profile ;p hehehehehe
    Welcome to MFP - I must tell you, I am 99% what u said - put on weight while dated my "now" husband, have back problem, not a lover of exercise and 60+ lbs over my ideal weight ( a little more than urs).

I must say this is the next best decision you must have taken , obviously first being getting married to your love.
    Add me if you like and we can take this journey together. I am currently trying to squeeze in some exercise and chose healthier foods over my regular ones. And note it , I haven't really killed myself for anything yet - still enjoying chocolates and pizzas. ;p
    works better than way coz else you get frustrated and quit soon.

MFP is amazing and has really helped me in the past few weeks I have been here. Hope to see you enjoy its benefits too.