Runners, do you run with a cold?

Options
When you get a cold, or feel a cold coming on, do you tough it out and run, or do you refrain from running until it eases?

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I go with the "above the neck" rule. If all the symptoms are above the neck (runny nose, sore throat, headache), you're OK but should probably take it easy. Anything lower (chesty cough, aching limbs, temperature etc.) it's best to rest or you'll be lumbered with it for longer.
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Occasionally. I must say a sauna really helps me with a cold, I go in there, have a sauna, usually I'm 100% the next day if I team it with a round of 500mg vitamin c tablets xx
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I also go with the above the neck rule. And for the most part I listen to my body... it's usually pretty good at letting me know when I need rest.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    If you feel like poo...rest.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Anything that doesn't involve a fever has no bearing on my workouts.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I also go by the above-the-neck rule. Another thing you can do is if you know your normal resting heart rate, if you go much more than 5-10% above normal on any given day sit it out or go easy (last week I walked at a decent pace for the same amount of time I was planning on running)
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you feel like poo...rest.

best advice ever...
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I go with the "above the neck" rule. If all the symptoms are above the neck (runny nose, sore throat, headache), you're OK but should probably take it easy. Anything lower (chesty cough, aching limbs, temperature etc.) it's best to rest or you'll be lumbered with it for longer.

This.

I may just bring an extra hanky along.
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Options
    I've had a cold for awhile now, but have still went out for runs. As long as I don't have a fever or feel achy I tough it out.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Gotta Sweat it out! I run no matter what as long as it doesn't involve vomitting or diahrea. I just make sure I hydrate really well.

I'm not a big fan of killing it with kindness. I want those little cold bugs to suffer!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

This.

I may just bring an extra hanky along.

I use the same rule. For sniffles and congestion I run with Breathe Right strips. They're pretty awesome.

Also, no running with gastroenteritis. Unless you want an unpleasant accident.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I also follow "above the neck."

If my body hurts, I rest. If there's snot running, I RUN! It actually helps drainage for me.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Depends on how bad a cold it is, and how badly I feel missing a run would hurt my progress/training, and what my schedule looks like if I'd be able to fit it in when I'm feeling better.