Ideas?

Options
thatgirl125
thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
My sons 1st birthday party is on Saturday, we're having hot dogs, chips, pop,juice, and cake. BUT, I was wondering if anyone has some good ideas for another side that is cheap and easy to make. Esp. something that adults and children will like.

Thank you to everyone who gives me ideas. :)

Replies

• SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I love to make Rotel Dip.
    I get a block of cream cheese, Jimmy Dean sausage and Rotel. Put it in a crock pot and let it melt and become creamy cheese goodness!
  • hojo94
    hojo94 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    What about a cut up fruit salad? or a relish tray? I am a sucker for baked beans! Huge downfall for me.... Broccoli salad is always good, and with a food processer SO easy.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    How about a veggie tray to even out the amount of umm I'll call it "other food" that you are serving.
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Vegetable Tray
    Fruit Salad
    Little yogurt and fruit parfaits with granola
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello! I know most toddlers like jello. Maybe even sugar free pudding. Cheese squares and crackers. Little fruits like mandarin oranges, apple slices, and grapes. I know adults would like the veggie tray, but I'm not sure the little ones would.
  • Clare_F
    Options
    Grapes have always gone down well at my children's parties :)
  • Joannguido
    Options
    Fruit salad, fresh veggies, believe it or not kids love it, or a trail mix of chex, dried fruit and some m&m's. What time is the party I will see if my schedule is clear LOL!!!!!!!!!
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hummus is always a crowd pleaser...and super healthy when it's homemade (it's EASY to make!!)...and it goes with chips, crackers, veggies, etc, so no need to buy anything special to go with it!
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I love to make Rotel Dip.
    I get a block of cream cheese, Jimmy Dean sausage and Rotel. Put it in a crock pot and let it melt and become creamy cheese goodness!

Now that sounds good! Might have to try that sometime when I've planned for a calorie splurge.
  • mset83000
    Options
    I saw an idea on pinterest that is so simple...use plastic cups and pour a little ranch dressing in the bottom of each. Then add carrot sticks and celery sticks....or whatever veggies you like cut in strips. Very portable and great as a side for a party!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad or a veggie tray with a good low fat dip... Cheese and crackers... Beans!! Oh you could do a potato salad!!
  • jeannec3631
    jeannec3631 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    crockpot full of spaghetti or mac n cheese
  • J_Lopez
    Options
    Fruits with light whipped cream.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Here's what I always put out for kids and adults at my tots' birthday parties - fruit plate with grapes, raspberries, strawberries, and apple slices, cubed cheddar with toothpicks, plus good cheese for the adults, crackers, dip of some sort, finger sandwiches of pb&j, salmon salad (flaked salmon, mayo, capers, salt & pep), large bowl of mac & cheese. Might seem fancy, but its pretty easy, pretty healthy, and everybody's happy!
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Options
    Throw some meatballs and sauce in the crockpot :)
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Mini sushi rolls, light cheese, vegie tray and fruit salad. Not just for the adults but the kids too. My kids always go for the fruit and vegie plates at parties.