FDA Consumer Update - HCG Diet Products Are Illegal

Options
Just got an email about this -
Anyone who has ever been on a diet—and there are many of us—knows that there are sensible ways to lose weight. These include balanced diets, exercising and realistic goals.

And then there are reckless ways to shed pounds—fads and diet aids that promise rapid weight loss, but often recommend potentially dangerous practices. These include HCG weight-loss products marketed over-the-counter (OTC) that are identified as "homeopathic" and direct users to follow a severely restrictive diet.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is advising consumers to steer clear of these "homeopathic" human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) weight-loss products. They are sold in the form of oral drops, pellets and sprays and can be found online and in some retail stores.

FDA and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) have issued seven letters to companies warning them that they are selling illegal homeopathic HCG weight-loss drugs that have not been approved by FDA, and that make unsupported claims.

(For the list of manufacturers, distributors and products—and more information about FDA’s concerns about HCG—visit www.fda.gov/hcgdiet5.)

More:
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm281333.htm

Replies

• Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I am SOOOOOOO glad to hear that the FDA is finally taking some action on this!

The HCG diet is a dangerous scam. The ONLY reason people lose weight on it is the extremely low calorie food plan. HCG in ANY form has been repeatedly proven to do NOTHING to help with your weight loss or make it safe to eat only 500 calories a day.

I know some people that put their faith in the HCG diet, and became very ill from malnutrition as a result. It is NOT safe!

Here are a some good links about the HCG diet that you might want to read before you get any farther into this:

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/hcg-diet-dangerous-1428

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/AN02091

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-cure-dont-want-you-to-know

http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml

http://www.tucsonmedical.com/pages/hcg.php
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Bout time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad they are taking action on this! Unfortunately, though, there will likely be people who get upset about this and find other ways to buy it, even illegally.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Perhaps now we can focus on fitness here and put a kaibosh on hcg threads here?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Isn't posting a thread about illegal substances not allowed on this forum?

So the good new is any HCG thread will be deleted on sight now!

Finally! :D
  • kmbrooks15
    Options
    Perhaps now we can focus on fitness here and put a kaibosh on hcg threads here?

Wouldn't that be nice?!

Wonder what will happen to the HCG group. I guess they will have to try to do this the hard way, like the rest of us!
  • kmbrooks15
    Options
    Isn't posting a thread about illegal substances not allowed on this forum?

So the good new is any HCG thread will be deleted on sight now!

Finally! :D

Except that the FDA has only said the DROPS are illegal. People can still legally get the HCG injections if they can find a doctor who will prescribe it (personally I think any doctor that does should have their license revoked, but that's my opinion). The ones who are doing the injections will still be "legal"--I really hope the FDA puts the kibosh on that, too. Even the most overweight people can lose with the methods MFP advocates.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Bout time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^This.

"The FDA is warning consumers that over the counter HCG products marketed as weight loss aids are unproven and illegal. Many HCG products are marketed to be taken in connection with a very low calorie diet -- it's the decrease in calories that accounts for any weight loss. There are currently no FDA-approved HCG products designed to help you lose weight. FDA and the Federal Trade Commission have jointly issued warning letters to companies illegally marketing over-the-counter HCG products labeled for weight loss."

Source: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/MedicationHealthFraud/ucm282465.htm

It's the decrease in calories accounts for weight loss, hmm? :noway: Haha... good to know :grumble:
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Time to stock up on pregnant lady piss and sell it on the black market!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I have written several emails to the FDA in the past few years about this issue, but at the time, they seemed to consider it a low priority.

Thankfully, they have finally taken notice and are doing something about it!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    hallelujah!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    FINALLY!

Listen to the podcast
  • CessGill
    CessGill Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Very good to know... OTC is not the same
    at the beginning of the year, I did the HCG diet, but it was prescribed by a doctor (not OTC), and with the guidance of the doctor. The doctor was doing a pilot test on the diet. I only did it for 45 days, and was to wait another 45 days and go back on it, but when it was time to go back, the doctor went from $120 to $500. I never did the second round, but did go from 192lbs to 176lbs during the first 45 days, and was able to maintain the weight throughout the year; until I joined MFP and started loosing again. Its a very strict diet, and only recommended for those who have willpower.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Time to stock up on pregnant lady piss and sell it on the black market!
    Good call, bro. Running to the stores now.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Soon to be replaced by drops of "old man pee". Taking orders now. :-P
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Soon to be replaced by drops of "old man pee". Taking orders now. :-P

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I hope that the FDA's next step is to start going after the so-called doctors and so-called weight loss clinics that offer HCG in ANY form as a weight loss aid. ALL the scientific studies say that HCG does NOTHING to help with weight loss, so those people are basically selling a fraud to their patients.

Whether you take real HCG injections or the homeopathic stuff, it does NOTHING for your weight loss at all. The ONLY reason people lose weight is the extremely strict diet.

Anyone want to join me in writing (or emailing) the FDA about that?
  • MustangAng
    MustangAng Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was desperate enough to purchase the HCG drops a few months ago. When I started reading the instructions on how few calories you could have in a day it hit me that the drops probably had NOTHING to do with the weightloss. Anybody eating 500 calories a day would lose weight I was thinking! I tried the drops one time for one day, and I quickly gave up on that. Hearing this, I'm glad I didn't use them!
  • Jaslyngonz
    Options
    i did this diet and now i am glad i read this because i was going to start the diet again in January. Thanks for posting this very useful information
  • Jaslyngonz
    Options
    chistoso!!! jajaja. thats funny