First P90X - felt like a fail. Need hope!

Options
Well I did P90X 1 and it just about killed me. I can't do any of the pull ups. I can't even do ONE push up. There really is very little modification help for ladies like me who can barely do one push up on knees. I wonder if I just simply am not ready for P90X yet.

I am not in horrible shape - just lost 50 lbs and have about 35 more to go. Have a fair amount of cardio training under my belt. But I am a total newb as far as strength training goes.

Thoughts? Has anyone else started at this level and kept pressing play anyways and had good results? I feel kinda hopeless right now! But I just keep thinking, I gotta start *somewhere*. ???

Replies

• Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I use resistance bands instead of doing pull ups. I couldn't do push ups on my toes at first but now I can. I did them on my knees. Make sure you are doing them in proper form and you dont' have to get your nose to the ground. Just a bit of bend in your elbows and then try to go deeper as you get better.
    The other workouts will be easier for you to do as you won't have to modify much.
    If for sure you can't do pushups on your knees, I think you can do them against a wall and build up from there.
  • krista_ladybuggin
    Options
    Just keep pressing play! The 1st day seemed impossible for me too- but I had great results in the end! Give yourself at least 2 weeks. If you still hate it -- and don't see yourself improving -- then you can think about switching to a different program. But... I have a feeling you'll be amazed at your improvement :)
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If you're doing P90X you should pay attention to what Tony says...

Never say "I Can't!"

Instead say: "I presently struggle with"

If you keep doing it you will see results. Try as suggested resistance bands and start slowly, don't beat yourself up if you're not doing the same number of reps as they do, just keep pressing play and showing up and you will see amazing results at the end of 90 days guaranteed.
  • brothenberg
    Options
    What about bands? The beauty of P90x is the ability to modify to your ability.. if you can't do the pull ups, use the bands and sit down, along with isometric holds. You should still get a good workout, and work up to doing 5. Wake up everyday and try and do 2-3-4-5.
  • Unzueta
    Unzueta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do push ups on your knees and use a chair for pull ups. It gets easier, trust me!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Make sure you do the correct form. I doubt that many women can do pull up on the 1st day.
    If you can not do knee push up, do stand up push up agaist the wall.
    The 1st 2 weeks, you body should feel like a train run over it.
    Remember P90x is Extreme. If you can stick it, you will get result.

Since you are new with weight lifting, Chalean Extreme would be better for you.
    Personally, I would do Chalean Extreme 1st. Her routine is short but have a great result.
    Also I like to do more weight lifting for the legs since that's my problem area.
    She 's really good with showing the correct form.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    The fact that you even tried is a huge accomplishment. Think of all the people that are sitting on their couch saying they'd like to try it!

I couldn't do pushups either but I started the Hundred Pushups Challenge (http://hundredpushups.com/index.html) and I can now do 60 if I take my time. Not sure I could do a pullup either but I think I could if I had a plan to build up the strength. And you will get there too.

Don't think about what you couldn't do, think about what you can do now that you couldn't before you lost that 50 pounds. Keep pressing play!!
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    all hope is not lost! lol. at the beginning of last year I started Insanity and even the warm up had me dripping sweat and I was thinking "This is painful, what did I get myself into?!" but I also LOVED IT. It will seem hard at first, but once you get past that first week I promise you will feel the difference. Stick with it! :D
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have a group/thread going here as several people just started. I am on my second round of P90X. I think you just need to push through and keep trying. You may only be able to do one push up now, but you'll never get any better at them unless you keep trying. You get a good amount of time to do each move. Do one pushup, rest for a few seocnds, then try a second one. Always push for just one more. Eventualy you'll be doing 5, 10 or even 15.

Here is a link to the group thread if you'd like to join us. Doing this together is the best way to stick with the program.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/403121-p90x-grouop-to-finish-the-year-strong
  • Jade1964
    Jade1964 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Try wall push-ups. I had a Trainer for 3 months and could not do one push up when I first started. So he modified for me and had me do wall push ups. I can now do push ups the normal way but it took me a while to get there.
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! I promise it gets easier. I am in week 12 and I started it over 100lbs overweight and I am now able to do 20 push ups in a row now....week one I could barely do a couple and could not go all the way down. As far as pull ups go I have never been able to do those. I modify it and use weights and mimic the motions the person with the bands does. I do not have anywhere to hook bands up in the room that I work out in so I have to make it work.

Keep going it gets easier. You will always be tired and exhausted in week one or week 13 when you finish. I believe that when you are not feeling like your butt has been kicked you need to kick up your workout. You will be surprised how much stronger you will become. Best of luck!
  • kimmie5333
    Options
    Great Job even trying it! Thats an accomplishment! I am coming off a shoulder injury and have to do push ups in a door frame, it still will get results with less stress on your arms/shoulders. Just modify the exercises and keep working at it. I have a friend who plays hockey and is a lineman (climbs poles for a living) and he struggled with P90X the first time! It about killed him and he was "in shape" and worked a physical job. So do not let it get you down, it will get easier! Keep trying and you will get better and it will get easier!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I started p90x after doing hardly any real working out..... it was to prove a point to my ex-b/f, but I digress. Anyway, I started doing it with zero fitness and at 267.2 lbs. It sucked at first.... I felt like a failure too, but no workout was going to get the best of me. I modified things. I took extra breaks. I breathed and sweated like a terrified waterbuffalo. And, on Oct. 19th, I completed p90x. Now, I didn't do all the moves exactly like Tony.... I didn't give it 150%, but I kept at it and it worked. I lost a total of 15 lbs. and 18 inches through my entire body. It's possible and you CAN do it.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    Well I did P90X 1 and it just about killed me. I can't do any of the pull ups. I can't even do ONE push up. There really is very little modification help for ladies like me who can barely do one push up on knees. I wonder if I just simply am not ready for P90X yet.

I am not in horrible shape - just lost 50 lbs and have about 35 more to go. Have a fair amount of cardio training under my belt. But I am a total newb as far as strength training goes.

Thoughts? Has anyone else started at this level and kept pressing play anyways and had good results? I feel kinda hopeless right now! But I just keep thinking, I gotta start *somewhere*. ???

It doesn't matter if you can't do all the reps (yet!) what you are doing is challenging to your body, and it's making you work hard. You will gain strength by leaps and bounds! :)
  • startrekkermd
    startrekkermd Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know everyone else is advocating you try it, but I suggest you start with p90 (minus the X)
    It got me started and if you're feeling fed up and frustrated with P90X, then its not worth it. There are two levels in P90, so you can work your way up to the second level in about 45 days, or if you feel that you can start out with the second level, more power to you :)
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement, guys! I am extremely sore this morning - I think I'll keep at it for one month and see how I feel then. If I am still feeling discouraged, I might switch to Chalean extreme - I do have that progam, too.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Just wanted to add, I have done P90X completely through 7 or so times now. I use heavy weights. I am in good shape (now), and really close to my goal weight, I lift pretty heavy for my size. :) I do Doubles program now. (did not in the beginning, could not even complete a full DVD at first)

I can only NOW do one full hanging, complete, with good form, pullup, with no chair modification.

I started doing pull ups with a chair modification, using my legs alot, and could only do a few for a long long time.

I can now do many many pull ups, with my foot started on the chair, but I completely lift it off now. But it took many rounds of trying trying trying to get to that point. (assisted pullup with a chair)

Also as I lost weight, it got easier - even a 10 lb loss can make a HUGH difference on pull ups and chin ups - because you have less weight to lift.

Things that helped me - practice negative pull ups.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/

Use a chair stool or whatever to push yourself up above the bar, so you hang/hold yourself, with arms bend, then try to steadily lower yourself down to a hanging position. Then push yourself up with a chair again - to the top - and do a controlled descent to a hang again. You WILL not be able to do this at first - but keep trying.

I took many tries before I could even do those.

But eventually I could, then the chair pull ups became easier - a little at a time. But it still took a long time to even do one.

On pushups, start while you are standing, leaning against a wall and slowly work down to floor level on knees as you are able.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-strengthen-chest-muscles-with-wall-pushups.html

Its takes time, sometimes a long time.

But EVERYDAY you push play, is one more step closer to your goal. One day closer then you were the day before.

Chalene Extreme is also a good program. As you build up some muscle in your arms and back and shoulders from the lifting - the pull ups also get easier. I advise you lift as heavy as you reasonably can, and get heavier weights as you progress.
  • jobrandes
    jobrandes Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    No one fails! Ever! P90X is a slow progression towards improvement, that is why it is a 90 day program. You must just do your best and that is all we can ever hope for. The last thing you EVER are is a failure. Get that out of your head very quickly. It is all about mindset. You have to have the right mindset. You will start slow, push yourself as far as YOU can go, not as far as the folks in the video can go, and then if you have done that you have accomplished it with a huge amount of SUCCESS not failure. Remember that.

The next time you do it you will do the same thing but this time you will do a bit better. The next time...a bit better. This will continue on. Always just do your best, not my best, not Tony's best, but your best.

You are going to kick butt.

Take care,
    Jo
  • cathyg18
    cathyg18 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    all hope is not lost! lol. at the beginning of last year I started Insanity and even the warm up had me dripping sweat and I was thinking "This is painful, what did I get myself into?!" but I also LOVED IT. It will seem hard at first, but once you get past that first week I promise you will feel the difference. Stick with it! :D

^^THIS! Yesterday was my 1st day of round 2 with the insanity program. I felt like you after my first few days, but I stuck with it and I am SO glad I did. It feels great when you can say that you made it to the end of the program. Just keep in mind, the longer you do it, the stronger you will get. You will feel and see the difference and you will love it. Just stick with it! You can do it! :happy:
  • leemarie324
    leemarie324 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I would use the bands, and do push ups on your knees until u work your way upto real push ups..dont give up..i tried p90x and felt like a failure but stuck with it..