Side cramp while exercising. HELP!

Options
I have a question for MFPals. It seems that most of the time, about a half hour into my work out, I get this side cramp right below my ribcage. It usually only lasts for about 20 minutes, but sometimes longer and can sometimes be really bothersome. I try not to eat really anything an hour before working out (excluding protein bars if I absolutely need something for energy), and try to sip on water. It kind of sucks. I take Zumba classes at night, so I usually don't eat dinner until after I get home from my class, so I don't think it is from eating. I also try to drink 8 glasses of water each day, and usually get 5 to 6 in before working out, and then another 4 glasses while working out. Any ideas as to why I am getting this cramp and what I can do to stop it from happening? Any suggestions/advise would be much appreciated!!! Thanks!

Replies

• chelseyyy90
    chelseyyy90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this will help but my brother is in the navy and his recruiter always told him to eat a banana before running long distances or doing an intense workout because it would help with the cramping. Hope that helps!
  • abronowski_611
    abronowski_611 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have heard that helps too with the cramping, just wasn't sure if the sugar content was good to eat before exercising. But thank you! I will give that a try!
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    My gym class nemesis, the side stitch.

I found that I get these workout gremlins when my breathing isn't under control (taking fast shallow breaths). Taking nice, deep, stomach breaths helps me.
  • skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    Usually just putting pressure on the area works for me, I don't even have to stop running to do it; just keep pressing on it until the stitch goes away.
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    A lot of time cramping occurs when you are exercising out of your comfort zone (i.e., for me every race if I am pushing myself). Your cramps may not be nutritional in nature, but as a result of asking your body to work hard. I would expect over time the cramping goes away as you workout more (unless you really increase intensity). Also - I know we are supposed to drink lots of water and all, but you don't want too much swishing around right before a workout (I'm not saying be dehydrated - just not chugging it before like you wouldn't eat before).
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    A banana and full glass of water about 30-45 minutes prior to exercise/running is routine for me. I love it.
    Sometimes I'll get side stitches if I don't warm up properly before starting the intense portion of the exercise/run also.
    Everyone is a bit different though, hope you can figure yourself out with all this input!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Ever since I started having a banana a day I never get the side cramp when working out.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    breathe in through ur nose and out through your mouth when you run :-) I used to and sometimes I do get them

I HATE THAT FEELING!!! Good idea to make a post about it :-)
  • abronowski_611
    abronowski_611 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well, it sounds like I need to eat a banana about a half hour before working out, and work on my breathing. I have noticed before that my breathing is all over the place, and always try to breathe in through my nose, out through my mouth. I'll keep working on it. Thanks everyone!