Advice/tips for the 30 day shred please!

Options
Hello! I'm fairly new here and I'll be completely honest, I have NO idea where to start with the exercise part of living a healthy life so I figured some sort of exercise program would help me to at least kick start the weight loss and lead to a healthier life. I've read a little and heard lots of good things about Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred and I really want to try it. I'm afraid it might be too much for me starting out. I mean, I'm pretty sure I'll stick with it; I have a very bad (or good depending on your view point) stubborn streak, lol, and the results I've seen people get are AMAZING which, of course, is what attracted me to it in the first place.
So I was just wondering if anyone might have some helpful tips or advice if you have experience with the program. Oh! And do I need to buy any special equipment (exercise ball, weights, etc.) or do I just purchase the dvd? Thanks!

Replies

• dlynnkind
    dlynnkind Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I loved the shred. It is tough though. I have heard of complaints with peoples knees because of the jumping jacks etc. You do use weights in the circuits. However I used light ones (5 lbs on most and 3 lbs on one exercise). The workout is about 27 minutes, you do 3 minutes of strength (lunges with a shoulder raise, squats with bicep curl etc), then 2 mins of cardio (jumpin jacks, high knees, butt kicks) 1 min of abs. The DVD has 3 levels, you start with level 1 and are supposed do do each for 10 days. I did it on much lunch breaks at work and skipped the weekend or did other stuff on the weekends and had good results.
    I lost 10 lbs and 18 inches. I would suggest measuring and taking pics at the beginning because thats what kept me motivated if the scale went up or was slowing moving.
    I also suggested to someone else to look on You tube or if you have On demand with your cable provider you can try it out on exercise tv before you buy it. But I think its cheap at walmart and online. Good luck and message or friend me if you have any questions or want to see progress pics or anything.

Dana
  • Katerbuggs
    Options
    Thank you so much! I will definitely try youtube and research it some more. =)
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i loved it. I got some great results- but I really had to push myself to keep going. It's tough some days. Good luck!
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Be prepared for pain! I'm about 2 weeks in-great workout.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    LOVE the shred! Im on day 5 level 2. My advice is drink lots of water, stretch really well afterwards, and eat lots of protein.
    I was sore the second day, and let me tell you the first day was killer! I could only do about half and almost puked.
    If you can make yourself workout even though your muscles are sore, as soon as you warm up it gets better!
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    30DS is a great workout and a good way to get started. Yes, it's hard, so modify, do as much as you can, and stick with it. You will be sore, but the soreness goes away by day 3 or 4. And don't be afraid to skip a day when you want, if it helps you stay on program for the long term. I did one round of it and was happy with the results, but I did it like every other day because I was also kayaking and running. I just finished it again for the second time, and I felt so strong by the end of it! For the investment of $9, I'd say you can't get much better. :)