holiday gift baking

Options
annacataldo
annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
Its been a tradition of mine to bake up a storm every year and my xmas presents are baked goods instead of presents. Cookies, fudge, loaf of bread w/ homemade jam, bottle of homemade kahlua, etc. I don't want to make anything I can't eat this year, so wondering what I can make that's healthy, yet still delicious for the family. Being sugar free, wheat flour instead of regular (or even gluten free?), low calorie, etc. Any ideas? I've thought of banana bread, but that isn't very low calorie and still something that's very sweet to me and id eat a whole loaf which is why im avoiding making cookies and such.

Replies

• twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    instead of baking, why not put the dry ingredients in a jar and decorate the jar! That's what I plan to do this year!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    instead of baking, why not put the dry ingredients in a jar and decorate the jar! That's what I plan to do this year!

That's a good idea, but I still don't know what to make...and let's face it, some people might not like the idea of baking sugar free/wheat, salt-less, etc unless they can try the finished product and say" hey, this is good". I don't allow sugar, white flour, salt into my household so I that's why I was just needing some ideas for something to bake for them, cuz they might not want to bake it themselves.
  • Luv2BMommy
    Options
    You wouldn't really "bake" this, but I saw a recipe somewhere for a homemade granola snack mix. Granola is yummy and healthy. Or maybe some different types of trail mixes?
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to make it simpler this year, and just do a loaf of bread with a healthy fruit spread. Fruit doesn't need added sugar to be delicious, since it's so sweet to start with. Or make granola and turn it into bars with honey, peanut butter and egg.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I still do my traditional Christmas baking even though it's treats I wouldn't eat on a regular basis. I don't see any problem with indulging a little now and then.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I still do my traditional Christmas baking even though it's treats I wouldn't eat on a regular basis. I don't see any problem with indulging a little now and then.

me too!
  • melkithall
    melkithall Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had this problem last year and made homemade meat rubs instead to give away. Just add to their favorite meats and grill, bake, roast, etc. Very healthy, you don't have to add oil, and it's already so flavorful. I can find my recipes if you want.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

me too!

Me three!

I make caramels every year ...... I wait until the last possible moment to make them .... and then give them all (almost all) away. These are just pure saturated fat & sugar.

Divinity (meringues) are non-fat and there are lots of variations. You could make batches of homemade caramel corn, not super healthy, but better.
  • catoutlaw
    catoutlaw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would do something else. I am giving cards with pictures in them this year. I love to bake, but love to eat the baked goods that I make! There are a million other gifts than feeding people sugar or modified baked goods. Banana bread is loaded with sugar and carbs. Even modified it's still high in calories, and carbs, and then we add butter to it.

Another idea is jars of nuts with pretty bows or a small ornament on it. Also small fruit baskets would be wonderful and super healthy!
  • aolani
    aolani Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Meat rubs sounds delicious.
  • melkithall
    melkithall Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hear's the recipe for my meat rubs. I had a baby then, so I used empty baby food jars, use whatever you like. Oh, and it's a good idea to make a list of ingredients that you put in, if you don't know the allergies of the person you're giving it too.

Meat Rubs

SPICY CARRIBBEAN

1 t black pepper 1 t. thyme leaves
    3 T brown sugar 1 t. ground cumin
    2 t. dry mustard 4 t. paprika
    1 t. garlic powder 1 t. salt
    1 ½ t. dried basil 1 t. ground coriander
    1 t. dried tarragon 1 bay leaf, crushed
    ½ t. cocoa powder

SOUTHWEST (my favorite)

4 T chili powder
    3 T onion powder
    ½ t. white sugar
    2 t. garlic powder
    1 T cumin
    2 t. ground coriander
    2 t. oregano leaves
    1 t. crushed basil leaves
    2 t. thyme leaves
  • petitfilou
    Options
    I also do home-made goodies as gifts - it started off as a cost-saving exercise a few years ago when my husband and I had no money, but people loved them so much that we kept doing them. And, as we added to our portfolio, they have become slightly less of a cost saving but I'd rather spend my time in the kitchen than fighting the hordes in the shops!

Below is one of my favourite Christmas foodie gifts - not baked, but still very nice. I usually add a bit of garam masala spice and some crushed fennel seeds as well (and you could always leave out the sugar if you wanted).

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/bar-nuts-169
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I think a spice blend is a fabulous idea.

Also, http://www.elanaspantry.com/ is a fabulous site for grain free/gluten free baking. She also has some gift ideas as well. I have a friend on here that is giving away homemade facial scrubs this year. You can also do bath salts and such.