Can I trust the calories burned count?

Options
So last night I played 2hrs&10min of non stop beach volleyball (3 on 3).

When I logged it, it said I burned 1639 calories....I just don't think that sounds accurate??? So I selected "volleyball, non-competitive gymnasium" thinking it would be a lot less calories (which I felt would be more accurate), but the count was similar.

Question: Can I trust the exercise calories burned counts in MFP? How accurate do you find them to be?

*note - I adjusted the count down to 700 something which was less than half of what it was showing*

Replies

• iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    For me, sometimes the calories on MFP are at least 20% higher than what I burn according to my HRM. That's not true for all activities. Sometimes it's more accurate than that. It really just depends. I think it's a pretty good estimate overall. My advice....get a heart rate monitor (HRM).
  • djdelano
    Options
    Hi Hi!

I've been pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of calories burned counts here on this site.

The response is correct though, extreme accuracy needs to be done with a good h.r.m.

However here's what I've been doing which has been giving me decent results

I adjust my exercise calories down 10% always, further I try and overestimate my calories a little too(5%). For example I often choose the highest calorie food choice when there are mulitples.

This is creatng a slightly higher calorie deficiency for me, which solidifies my 1 lb a week goal.

Best of Luck.
    -D
  • DynamicDiva
    DynamicDiva Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you get a HRM. Don't trust what's on MFP. Although I used it for the first week or two before getting my monitor. But an HRM is more accurate because like with any activity, it depends on your weight and how much energy and effort you put into it.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor is the only way to know for sure!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    The problem with the MFP calories burned counter is it is purely an average, and does not take individual variables into account.

I always cite the example of my Badminton.

Does that mean singles? doubles? does it account for rest time between games? between points? high intensity? low intensity? etc etc etc.

I logged it originally, for 2 hours, it gave me 1500 cals. When i got my HRM, it said 820. A bit of a difference.
  • cleoleigh
    cleoleigh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The problem with the MFP calories burned counter is it is purely an average, and does not take individual variables into account.

I always cite the example of my Badminton.

Does that mean singles? doubles? does it account for rest time between games? between points? high intensity? low intensity? etc etc etc.

I logged it originally, for 2 hours, it gave me 1500 cals. When i got my HRM, it said 820. A bit of a difference.

See, that is why I cut it in half. Granted there was no resting in between games... but I know some games were alot more competitive than others.

I may look into that BodyBugg, they seem to be on sale for $149
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have found MFP is sometimes really high or sometimes really low. It is hard to say really, one thing I learned is to low ball my cals, well that was until I finally got my HRM
  • DKelly1983
    Options
    When I go on the treadmill at the gym, say for 45 mins and the machine tells me I burned 450 cals, then I log on to here and input the 45 mins, it gives me almost 50-100 more cals burned. I go with what the machine at the gym tells me, even though it says less cals and it's not even 100% accurate. So basically, no, I don't trust the cals burned count.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    MFP does not know how hard you went so it's just an average. If you want to get an accurate burn a heart rate monitor is the only way to go. There not that expensive and will tell you exactly what you burned.
  • jclayton28
    Options
    I've had some problems too with the calorie counter. I checked the calories I would burn according to certain machines at the gym and sometimes they would be drastically different on here. Just do what you think is the most accurate. I think it's okay if they are a little off, but you know.....1000 calorie difference is a bit much.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Question: Can I trust the exercise calories burned counts in MFP? How accurate do you find them to be?

Not really, no. They're ballpark estimates at best.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    For me, sometimes the calories on MFP are at least 20% higher than what I burn according to my HRM. That's not true for all activities. Sometimes it's more accurate than that. It really just depends. I think it's a pretty good estimate overall. My advice....get a heart rate monitor (HRM).

This. When I enter for Kickboxing (BodyCombat) for 60 minutes it puts me over 1000 cals burned but my HRM says anywhere from 600-700 calories. Get a HRM with a strap. Best investment ever.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    And OP, a body bugg and an HRM are not the same things. The body bugg is better at establishing and monitoring basal metabolic rate, and an HRM is better at quantifying athletic performance (of which calories expended is a secondary value).

Research what you would like the device to do for you before buying one or the other.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    No, you can not.

You need to tweak it based on your own levels of intensity and find the right numbers that match your specific situation.

I played around with it for a few days, then found my grove. I have mine set ON THE MONEY, and it works just fine. I had to lower some of the calories burned for certain cardio exercises and not count at all any resistance or anything else I did during the day.

But I raised my goal level settings to "Very Active" and BANG!

That did it! Everybody is different, and you can tell right away if you're in the zone by how much weight you lose.