calories burned... different readings

Options
So, I went to my usual cardio kickboxing, then spinning classes last night. I have my Polar FT7 and noticed I burned more calories than usual... almost 100 more in the first class.
I missed a couple workouts last week and definitely wasn't eating as clean as usual. Does this have something to do with it?
Why for the same classes, and when you feel you are exerting the same amount of effort that you have different readings?
I was definitely happy last night, but often curious. I guess it is a good thing I always wear the monitor.

I also noticed after taking an extra day off that I really do feel stronger. i usually workout X 6 week and was only able to X 4 this past week.

All very interesting, would love your thoughts.

Joy

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    even a HRM is an estimate, it's attached to you so more likely to be accurate than a machine that you don't get to enter your height/weight etc into.
    Little differences add up though.
  • joyzoso
    joyzoso Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I wear the HRM every day, I am just curious what makes one workout different than another it it reads I am burning more calories one day than the other.
  • pdchemist15
    pdchemist15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My Theory would be different intensity....Compare your overall heartrate graph..not just the final number.. Again though like someone else said it is just an estimate. Also note if you change your weight (in the measurement device) your calories will calculate different.
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    i know there will be a ton who disagree but just this morning i noticed a major difference myself; a higher burn during a shorter period of time and max heart rate was the same....the one difference i found was the temperature. the heat ran almost the whole time i was on the gazelle while yesterday it was warmer outside so the heat didn't kick on at all. i make notes when i download to personal trainer so i can measure these little variances personally.
  • pdchemist15
    pdchemist15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's logical...Increase temps make you work harder increasing your overall heart rate average thus can cause an increase in calorie burn. You could have 2 exercise regimens..one with a MHR of 200 and one with a MHR of 175. You could eaily burn more calories with the lower MHR due to the overall HR average
  • joyzoso
    joyzoso Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks of the responses. Definitely different readings. Tonight's spinning class was almost 130 cals less than yesterday.
    It is just good to note all this and thankful I keep track now... really is eye opening, calories burned and calories consumed... all of it!