Question about sugars & artificial sweeteners while baking

Options
myiceisonfire
myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
I use artificial sweeteners... yes I know they're not good for you, but at least I use Stevia which is suppose to be natural. Anyway that's now what I'm asking =)

When I bake cookies I switch the sugar for artificial sweetener. BUT, can I switch the brown sure for it too? Or at least use less brown sugar and more artificial?

What switching brown for artificial majorly change the flavor?

Replies

• cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar adds a depth of flavor to the baked item... it'll take some experimenting to figure out whether or not you need it. I would try using it with first (with Stevia) and seeing how the item turns out. Then, try it without (brown sugar) and add a little extra vanilla instead.
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    Brown sugar adds a depth of flavor to the baked item... it'll take some experimenting to figure out whether or not you need it. I would try using it with first (with Stevia) and seeing how the item turns out. Then, try it without (brown sugar) and add a little extra vanilla instead.

Thanks, I know they taste fine with the regular substituted for Stevia. But haven't tried to experiment with the brown at all. Can't wait to see how these turn out.
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar is just sugar with molasses. So skip it and just add like a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses in with the stevia
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar is just sugar with molasses. So skip it and just add like a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses in with the stevia
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar definitely adds a different flavor & texture than regular sugar when baking. Splenda makes a "bown sugar" version. I've never tried it though.
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    How do I bake with Stevia LOL...

1 tsp stevia = 1 cup sugar

Isn't the batch going to come out funny if I use only 1 tsp. The recipe calls for 3/4 cup sugar. If I use 3/4 cup Stevia instead will it come out too sweet?
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I would start out with half the amount of regular sugar because Stevia is naturally sweeter than cane sugar. Do the half and taste as you go.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I've never baked w/ Stevia, I have used splenda. I use reg. brown sugar for cookies because I Splenda Brown Sugar is Splenda plus regular brown sugar. I'm not going to pay more money for something I can do at home (use less brown sugar & a tad more splenda).

Maybe experiment with your recipes and perhaps use a product that measures cup by cup as sugar. (??)

In my "experiments" some recipes don't turn out right if you don't have the sugar/butter ratio correct.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've not tried it yet but I plan on it this holiday. I just googled and found this link

http://www.ehow.com/how_2268348_substitute-stevia-sugar-baking.html

It has info on how much to use and what to do about the lost bulk.
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    I've not tried it yet but I plan on it this holiday. I just googled and found this link

http://www.ehow.com/how_2268348_substitute-stevia-sugar-baking.html

It has info on how much to use and what to do about the lost bulk.

Wonderful! I'll try that. I'll use the 1tsp of stevia, and then use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of apple sauce. I'll let you know how it turns out! =D

If it needs to be sweeter I'll add more sugar before putting in the apple sauce!

Thank you all for all the advice, experience, and help.
  • dyangarcia
    Options
    I've used the Splenda brown sugar blend in a lot of baking recipes and it's worked great! It's a half brown sugar and half splenda mixture. And 1/2 cup = 1 cup of regular brown sugar. So you are only using half as much "brown sugar" as the recipe calls for. I thought it would be weird but all my cookies have turned out normal.