Subtracting your BMR

vintageprop
vintageprop Posts: 62 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok hopefully this post doesn't annoy anyone but I just wanted to know how many of you subtract your BMR calories from your exercise calories?

Say your heart rate monitor says you burned 200 calories in an hour. Do you subtract the calories you would've burned during that hour not doing the exercise so the actual calories burned would be around 150?
I found out about this from here http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/exandweightloss.htm

I want my calories to be accurate to reach my goals and if I'm off by 50 calories and more every day, how will I ever get there?

Any comments appreciated!

Replies

• vintageprop
    Ok hopefully this post doesn't annoy anyone but I just wanted to know how many of you subtract your BMR calories from your exercise calories?

Say your heart rate monitor says you burned 200 calories in an hour. Do you subtract the calories you would've burned during that hour not doing the exercise so the actual calories burned would be around 150?
    I found out about this from here http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/exandweightloss.htm

I want my calories to be accurate to reach my goals and if I'm off by 50 calories and more every day, how will I ever get there?

Any comments appreciated!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    I don't do that, but really being only 50 calories off isn't going to make a huge difference. All of the numbers are really just estemates based on averages. Personally you could naturally burn more or less calories a day than any number you are given on here. These are guidelines and if you follow them you should lose. If you aren't losing I would then make adjustments.

Hope this helps.

Good luck
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    theoretically yes, you should. Especially if you're working out OFTEN and for long periods of time, because then those excess calories will really pile up.
  • vintageprop
    I don't do that, but really being only 50 calories off isn't going to make a huge difference. All of the numbers are really just estemates based on averages. Personally you could naturally burn more or less calories a day than any number you are given on here. These are guidelines and if you follow them you should lose. If you aren't losing I would then make adjustments.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Ok thanks for your reply, yes it has helped, thanks!
  • vintageprop
    theoretically yes, you should. Especially if you're working out OFTEN and for long periods of time, because then those excess calories will really pile up.

Yes this was what I was worried about.. Ok thanks for your reply!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    I don't. I burn something like 59 cal an hour so I usually don't do that.
This discussion has been closed.