I'm Completely Confused on Metabolism

Options
Sd0510
Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
Ok, so I've seen some people say that eating small meals more often is better for your health/metabolism, but I have also seen others saying it does not matter when you eat. I'm extremely confused. I want to know which is better, and if it doesn't effect your metabolism, does it effect anything else? Thanks for any responses!

Replies

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    www.leangains.com

Small meals is a myth. The above site is about intermittent fasting and busts this myth wide open.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Why not try it one way for a month or so and see what happens? Then you can decide for yourself.

Yes there are studies that show more smaller meals are better. There are other studies that show it doesn't matter. Studies, regardless of who runs them or how big they are still have limited data pools. Studies indicate tenancies based on certain assumptions/criteria. If you don't line up with those assumptions/criteria, the study may or may not apply to you.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is finding something healthy that works for you.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    www.leangains.com

Small meals is a myth. The above site is about intermittent fasting and busts this myth wide open.

^^^^^

I agree with this.
  • melinda6569
    Options
    I believe you are supposed to eat 3 meals a day with 2 snacks. Portion control does matter. The reason for more food is to keep your body fueled so it can continue to burn fat..it is like a car..you have to fuel it to get it to go..no fuel you wil putter out and die (Starve)..If you keep you metabolisim going it will continue to burn..but make healthy choices..you will get more energy from a sald than french fries or chips.
  • melinda6569
    Options
    Why not try it one way for a month or so and see what happens? Then you can decide for yourself.

I agree. everybodys bodies are different. you need to figure out what works best for you
  • Sd0510
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for posting! =)

I usually don't have enough time for three meals a day, but I guess I can try it for a week to see if there is a difference.
    Thanks for the website! I will definately be checking that out.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have anything to do with your metabolism. But if someone is prone to binging because they wait too long between meals, then smaller meals would help.
  • Tracy9377
    Tracy9377 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 small meals each day. I'm hypoglycemic, so it keeps my blood sugar at a steady level. Still, people without hypoglycemia can have blood sugar peaks and crashes. Food that you consume which is above what you need at the moment will be stored as fat - no matter how your pancreas works. Eating more frequently will give you more energy, and with more energy, you will be more active.

I agree. everybodys bodies are different. you need to figure out what works best for you
  • aquapussy
    Options
    As has already been said: here's the thing, from a biological standpoint it makes no difference, but it might from a mental standpoint. If you say, skip lunch and are starving at dinner you could end up binging. That's why I try to eat regular meals. I do fasting as well but I make sure I eat normally after the fast. If you find yourself binging, eating smaller meals all day may help you mentally.

If you look at the guy who wrote "The hackers guide to weight loss" he has this weird schedule where he eats just one huge meal a day, lots of other people have done this as well. It works for them so go for it. I prefer grazing when I am fasting (eating just a bit here and there so I don't feel like I am starving myself).
  • Tracy9377
    Tracy9377 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Good advice!
    It doesn't have anything to do with your metabolism. But if someone is prone to binging because they wait too long between meals, then smaller meals would help.
  • Sd0510
    Options
    Thanks to everyone! This really helped a lot. I never thought about the sugar thing since I normally don't have to worry about it, but that makes a lot of sense. The binging thing is another thing I haven't thought about, and now I know I'll watch for it. Thanks again =)