Any women with P.O.S.?

Options
Hi I'm new to "myfitnesspal" and just curious about any women here with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome? I have P.O.S. and my hormone doctor said it is very hard to lose weight with P.O.S. Because everything you eat gets turned straight into fat. Well all the carbs. I'm on medication for it, but I'd like to hear other women's stories who have P.O.S. and how they are dealing with it. :)

Replies

• Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    I have pcos and pretty much all the symptoms and i been able to lose weight. It is possible, just got to keep dedicated to working out and avoiding the foods that trigger spikes in insulin
  • jclmrn
    jclmrn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and am IR, I was diagnosed with it in March & have since lost 55 lbs. I found it very hard to lose weight prior to my diagnosis but I'm doing pretty well now. I try to follow a low glycemic index diet which I think makes a big difference in how I feel during the day. I eat carbs but I try to pick the lowest GI ones & I always pair then with a good protein. I am also on Spirolactone & Metformin. It is harder but it can still be done!
  • healthieryou
    Options
    I'm one
  • MichaelaaJ
    MichaelaaJ Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I haven't been diagnosed but have all the symptoms as well as cysts and endometriosis removed. I am intersted in hearing more tips on this topic as well!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    There are a few support groups here for those of us with PCOS
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?phrase=pcos&order=0
  • AcidTrip
    Options
    There are a few support groups here for those of us with PCOS
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?phrase=pcos&order=0

Thank you very much :)
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I have PCOS - I found once changing my diet to completely gluten free (it's common for those with PCOS to have an intolerance to gluten) I stopped bloating and my weight loss has been really steady. I do a lot of strength training and havent changed my diet all that much apart from being totally gluten free.

As long as ou are doing everything right, diet and exercise wise (burning more calories than you are consuming), then you will be able to lose weight. I used to use my PCOS as an excuse for why I was fat..... but that's all it is... just an excuse.
  • melkithall
    melkithall Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS - I found once changing my diet to completely gluten free (it's common for those with PCOS to have an intolerance to gluten) I stopped bloating and my weight loss has been really steady. I do a lot of strength training and havent changed my diet all that much apart from being totally gluten free.

As long as ou are doing everything right, diet and exercise wise (burning more calories than you are consuming), then you will be able to lose weight. I used to use my PCOS as an excuse for why I was fat..... but that's all it is... just an excuse.

I have PCOS too, and totally agree with this here. Don't let it become an excuse. Use it as your motivation. Since I've been losing weight, I've felt soooo much better.
  • Luv2BMommy
    Options
    bump
  • heatherdills
    heatherdills Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well and I have been doing fairly well getting the weight off. Just keep a deficit (nothing crazy) and you will lose weight.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I do......my first time around here I lost 50 pounds fairly easily (it wasn't always easy, but it's not like PCOS made it impossible). I got lazy and gained it all back, and I am struggling this time around but again that's due to laziness and the difficulty to eat well when I really want to pig out.

I don't think PCOS really makes it all that difficult to lose weight, but those who have it aren't people who can leisurely eat what they want and maintaine or lose.
  • DMP3
    DMP3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS. Like others have said, as long as your calories remain in check and you exercise the weight will come off. : ) I have lost 30 lbs in 4 months.
  • skb32881
    skb32881 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I was on metformin for awhile but I didn't think it helped all that much. I find that for me what works best is getting my carbs from fruits, veggies, and whole grains. It helps keep the blood sugar spikes under control and keeps me satisfied longer. I also eat 3 meals a day and two snacks to keep things regulated. I feel like having the PCOS has made my progress a little slower but definitely not impossible.....
  • Kassielin13
    Options
    Five years of PCOS
    I dealt with the symptoms of PCOS for right at 5 years. However, I was not medically diagnosed until this past February. Until I knew the exact cause of all of the symptoms, it felt almost impossible to lose weight. I would lose up to 60 lbs and gain that plus some back in no time.
    From February to June, I followed a strict diet from the dr. I only lost 5 lbs. Talk about frustrating, I had explained to the dr before and after diagnoses that losing weight was slow for me. At this point, my dr placed me on Metformin and birth control for 3 months.
    I began working out, mainly cardio, and come off all the medication. I am proud to say over 40 lbs later, all of my PCOS symptoms are GONE! My hormone levels are perfect and after 6 years of no menstrual cycle, this past month, I had my first natural one. No meds and no problems.
    Wish you the best of luck in your journey of weight loss!
  • AcidTrip
    Options
    Five years of PCOS
    I dealt with the symptoms of PCOS for right at 5 years. However, I was not medically diagnosed until this past February. Until I knew the exact cause of all of the symptoms, it felt almost impossible to lose weight. I would lose up to 60 lbs and gain that plus some back in no time.
    From February to June, I followed a strict diet from the dr. I only lost 5 lbs. Talk about frustrating, I had explained to the dr before and after diagnoses that losing weight was slow for me. At this point, my dr placed me on Metformin and birth control for 3 months.
    I began working out, mainly cardio, and come off all the medication. I am proud to say over 40 lbs later, all of my PCOS symptoms are GONE! My hormone levels are perfect and after 6 years of no menstrual cycle, this past month, I had my first natural one. No meds and no problems.
    Wish you the best of luck in your journey of weight loss!

That is similar to my story! I have lost 25 lbs in the past but gained it back +20lbs. I followed the south beach diet for 2 months, lost 0 pounds. I followed the Atkins diet and ended up gaining weight. I followed a vegan diet, lost no weight, also the slim fast diet and that somewhat worked but not much. It has been very frustrating going on these low carb, low calorie strict diets and also exercising but not seeing any progress. I'm on Metformin at the moment as well but having a hard time for find motivation to start back on a diet since the past diets have not worked too well. But thank you all for the posts, it gives me hope. :)