Abdominal Pain (running)

Options
So the last few times I've gone running (I just recently started up again after about a yr of not running at all) I've ended up with abdominal pain. I make it to about 15 minutes, the pain starts off tolerable but within 5 minutes of it starting I need to stop running because it's so severe.
Is it because I haven't run in forever? (this never used to happen). Is it related to my diet/eating? Should I see a doctor/keep running/try a different exercise approach?? I really love running, so this pain is all the more frustrating and I have no idea where it's coming from.

Replies

• Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What type of pain is it? Is it a pain like a cramp or digestive?
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Usually means I have to poop
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    That's really broad. :laugh: try slowing down and focus on your breathing. Usually that kind of pain is from improper breathing.
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It's a sharp cramping pain. lol I guess I wasn't very specific hey.. But yes, it's a sharp, cramping pain that comes up everytime I've run lately and always around that 15 min mark. I usually run around 5 miles an hour and I try to stay very focused (on my breathing, my body movements, etc..). Today while I was running it seemed to start right centre of my abdomin, then within a few minutes it was broad (all across my abdomen) and Painful!! More so than I've experienced before. Once I stopped running and did a cool down the pain was on my left upper abdomin and subsided after about 20 minutes.
    Should I be worried? Should I see a doctor or first try altering my exercise/diet/what?
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Technically, its from the lungs not being able to provide enough oxygen to the body for the activity. Slow down (even to a walk at first if needed) and increase your speed slowly so that the cardiovascular and respiratory systems can keep up with the oxygen needs of the body and that should go away. As you improve the conditioning of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, then you will be able to increase speed sooner in your workout with less of a warm up, but that takes time after an extended period of not exercising.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I looked into this a little myself because I tend to get side stiches when I run for more than a couple miles. The two major theories are oxygen deprivation (no further info/advice on that as the above is perfect) and dehydration (messes with digestion which can cause, cramps, etc). Make sure you're fully hydrated before your run and if you're going far enough, be sure to stay hydrated.

If you find that neither hydration or breathing breaks help, definitely check with your doctor.
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much; Will definitely work on these two things!! I love running and would like to get back on track with it.
  • melsie20
    Options
    Hi There,

I had the same problem - cramp on the center to right side slightly below the ribcage. I have found that it will always go away in about 2-3 weeks of regular running. So I have to make sure to run at least twice a week or it comes back.

My friend mentioned something about the organs getting adjusted to the impact that running causes.. not sure if that is correct, but regular conditioning takes care of it. Its unfortunate that you have to run to get rid of it, but keep plugging away, it will go away. If it doesn't go away in a few weeks, then you should probably talk with a doctor - it might be gallbladder problems or something with your liver (not to freak you out!)
  • sbgraves
    Options
    oh oh oh! I was having a problem with this on my left side right under my rib cage after changing my running posture. After weeks of trying to figure it out.... I DID!!!! Breathe DEEP all the way in and all the way out a few times. Any time you feel it creeping back do it some more! I ran a race sunday and had a new pain in my abdomen that was so painful. It has left my abdomen tender to the touch for now 2 days....still trying to figure that one out. Good luck!