Does rinsing canned tuna really reduce the sodium?

Options
I recently added sodium to my counts and was horrified at the amount of sodium I am taking in. I pride myself on never picking up the salt shaker, but my go-to tuna is a disaster. I always rinse it, but does the really effect the sodium content or is it wishful thinking?

Any and all low sodium suggestions welcome.

Replies

• _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I also LOVE tuna, but watch my sodium like a hawk!

Yes, rinsing helps somewhat, but Bumblebee has a no salt added albacore in water now - and Trader Joe's has no salt and HALF salt, (which is the kind I get).

:)
    Amy
  • darbobo
    Options
    I always buy the Starkist low sodium 2.6 oz pouches 70mg sodium per bag.
  • nrimas
    nrimas Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was too big of a baby to buy no salt added tuna. I'm not sure what I thought it was going to taste like, ha, ha. I noticed in the food /calorie data someone listed tuna that had been rinsed for 30 seconds. What do you think of that?
  • nrimas
    Options
    I bought some of that today!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I rinse my tuna as well and I can't find any offcial website, etc. that will tell you how much sodium goes down the drain yet! But I can taste the difference :) so i assume by at least half....could be kidding myself!

The lower sodium canned tunas are a little expensive but if you live near a Trader Joes Market, it's a good bet they wan't be as expensive as name brands at a regular market!

Good Luck!!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I also buy the Starkist low sodium. What really FROSTS MY CAKE is that they charge MORE for it. WTF is up with that?! Anyone know what the sodium is on the other two low sodium/no sodium added ones mentioned?
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I never thought to look for lower sodium tuna. I figure it's swimming in salt water all it's life, didn't think they actually added salt to the end product too.
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I never thought to look for lower sodium tuna. I figure it's swimming in salt water all it's life, didn't think they actually added salt to the end product too.

That just made me laugh out loud at work! Everyone's looking at me all weird now. Thanks!
  • nrimas
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/draining-tuna-reduce-sodium-content-q10179

Looks like rinsing for one full minute can reduce the sodium by 70+%. Well, that's good news for all us cheap tuna buyers out there!!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Same here. I love that a lot of companies are starting to do low/no sodium versions of things. I recently found reduced sodium pickles. That made me happy.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hhhm....good to know. Will be rinsing my tuna from now on...
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I also buy the Starkist low sodium. What really FROSTS MY CAKE is that they charge MORE for it. WTF is up with that?! Anyone know what the sodium is on the other two low sodium/no sodium added ones mentioned?

of course they will. they're at risk to lose more b/c of the no salt.

But, I'm sure you expect companies to be in business to serve people cheap foods, not make money.
  • sarahs440
    Options
    I also watch my sodium like a hawk. I am so glad I came across this, because the sodium in Tuna is what has been keeping me away from it! I swear sometimes I think more about sodium content than I do calories :wink:
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I always assumed that because they process the tuna on the boat while they're catching it, they just use processed sea water to can it. Salt free would require bringing the fresh water out on the boat with them. But I'm making this up off the top of my head.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I always assumed that because they process the tuna on the boat while they're catching it, they just use processed sea water to can it. Salt free would require bringing the fresh water out on the boat with them. But I'm making this up off the top of my head.

you thought they put it in the cans......on the boat? :noway:

Not really, right? You're just joshing us..........right?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    i definitely think it helps. i read rinsing your canned garbonzo beans reduces sodium 40%!
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I buy a Starkist Chunk light in water with low sodium, goldish can. I rinse beans, etc too.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

eqQ57.gif
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I recently added sodium to my counts and was horrified at the amount of sodium I am taking in. I pride myself on never picking up the salt shaker, but my go-to tuna is a disaster. I always rinse it, but does the really effect the sodium content or is it wishful thinking?

Any and all low sodium suggestions welcome.

According to a very good book called, "Men'sHealth Total Fitness Guide" it does indeed greatly reduce the sodium. It says to double rinse it. I use a simple strainer and spray the tuna really good. The same applies to Salmon or any canned meat. For that matter, anything with sodium in it.