How Many Cals to Eat

Options
Hi everyone, MFP says I should be eating around 1200 per day but a few people have told me that is too low and I should be aiming between 1300 and 1500. I'm 5ft4 and weigh 202 :(

Any help is appreciated, as i'm completly new to cals.....

Replies

• ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I would think that's too low. I'm 5'3" and started at 185lbs with 1610cals a day, losing 1lb a week. I would up your caloreis, but that's just me.

Currently 173lbs, set at 1540cals a day.
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Options
    I think that's too low as well. What is your weight loss set to per week? I would change it to 1lb if it's set at 2lbs/wk.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You will only make yourself tired and miserable by eating that low. I would suggest setting your goal per week to 1 lb. This will also help reduce the loss of muscle. Also, suggest eating about 50-80% of yoru exericse calories. Sounds counter-intuative but it works.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    What do you have your activity level set at? I am at 187 and same height and I have mine set to sedentary and to loose 1 lb per week and it gives me about 1450/day

Sounds like you have your settings set to loose more than 1 lb per week - my suggestion is to lower it to sedentary and 1 lb a week.

I normally eat less then my target about 1200-1300 a day on the days I don't work out - the days I work out I do my best to eat to my recommended calories (I don't' eat back my exercise calories - some people say do- some say don't - you have to find what works for you)

to me personally I feel you should eat LESS than 1200 calories a day as that is the minimum your body needs to function -
  • choccyqueen83
    choccyqueen83 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I have changed it to 1lb and it's jumped
    To 1530.
    Im currently 200lbs ek most days i was going over so even 1300 or 1500 sounds better. Does anyone wanna share diaries. I find it really helps me.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I have changed it to 1lb and it's jumped
    To 1530.
    Im currently 200lbs ek most days i was going over so even 1300 or 1500 sounds better. Does anyone wanna share diaries. I find it really helps me.

I eat 2800 calories and mine is public. Also are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    That is the number of calories that you should eat if you don't work out at all. When you log you exercise MFP will increase the number of calories you can eat. You will be amazed at what you can eat if you are exercising. Don't make it harder than it is. Good luck.
  • Gabbahh
    Options
    It's individual. You need to know your BMR before you start anything.
  • CINDYLOU1966
    CINDYLOU1966 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ok i need help .. I weight 193 and I have my thing set at active . and i have me working out 6 days week for 90 mins and want to lose 2 lbs .. and my food set at 1200. and i sometime burn between 500 to 1200 calories or more how much should i eat of the burn calories and what is the net caloires . and how much should i really work out day and how many days a week help please
  • CINDYLOU1966
    Options
    what is brm
  • CINDYLOU1966
    Options
    sorry bmr ?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    sorry bmr ?

Basal metabolic rate. Its the amount of calories you would burn if you slept 24 hours. Its your metabolism.