New at strength training....

Options
So I have been on MFP since the beginning of August. I have fallen off really bad in the last few months but I am back on today...So, today while I was on the treadmill, I decided that today I needed to start strength training. I finished on the treadmill and started my strength training journey....Just dove right in with little knowledge...

My cousin goes to the gym a lot and he looks pretty good (I'm saying that in the most cousinly way possible! lol) So i asked him for some advice. He told me to do as many reps as you can do in 30 seconds. I forgot what he said about the sets, but since I am new, I figured I would do 1 set for 30 secconds on each machine. I ended up doing two sets on some machines but most were one. I mean, it seemed to do something cuz I can feel it all over already!

But my first question is, I'm not sure If i am doing too much? I was looking around the gym and the girls were doing like 50lbs or less on the legg press machine and here I am easily doing 190LBS when it was my turn on the leg press (shooting for 200lbs tomorrow) Is that too much? The other leg machines I was doing about 150-170 lbs. Was not really straining with the weight either. I didn't go below 100lbs on any machine except for the arm curl machine (I have NO upper body strength lol)

My second question is: Is it better to do less weight and more reps/sets, or more weight and less reps/sets?

Someone please help this newbie out! lol

Replies

• Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your question - but kudos to you! I'm new to Strength (doing 30 second sets for 3) and I can't even TRY to do over 100lb upper or lower! :D Well done! I'm beginning to up my weights though.. :p
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Do whatever feels comfortable without hurting yourself. I think a lot of women don't either want to lift too havy (the old fear of not wanting to "bulk up") or not believing that they can.

I lift 200 lbs on the leg press.

md
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    just keep doing what you are doing :) I remember when i started i had to use lighter weights and i've worked up quite a bit. As long as you are doing a good bit of cardio you won't "bulk" up :)
  • JamesonsMommy
    Options
    as far as the leg press those girls are idiots...lol You should be able to press almost all of your body weight...lol You carry it every single day :)
  • juggalotus
    Options
    as far as the leg press those girls are idiots...lol You should be able to press almost all of your body weight...lol You carry it every single day :)

That's a good point! Never thought about that. So in that case, I will definitely shoot for 200lbs tomorrow. And technically, I should be able to do about 240 lbs on that thing. Ill eventually work up to that lol. I'm sure I can do it though!
  • JamesonsMommy
    Options
    check to see if your gym has any balls (the ones i use are about the size of those stupid balls you get for kids from the grocery store) Put it in between your knees and squeese when you are pushing out... Hope this makes sense.. I noticed a big difference when i started doing this :)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty out of shape, and always have been. I was lifting 80 on the leg press if I recall correctly. Anyone doing less than that is probably a wimp.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I do 3 sets of 8-12 reps...I start with a heavy weigh, but by the time I am into my 3rd set, it is really hard to finish. When it gets easier during that 3rd set, I up my weight...

I lift heavy weights with less reps...

You can also ladder your weights during a set...do 8 reps with a light weight, imeedialtey pick up a med weight, do 8 more, then immediately go to a heavy weight do 8 more...rest for about 30 seconds and do again, this time going from heavy to light...rest, do one more time going light to heavy...

I am not an expert, but this works for me...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Your cousin was wrong about the "as many reps as you can do 30 seconds". You want to be doing 2-3 sets of each exercise, containing at least 8-20 reps. Anymore then 20 and you need to up the weight.

As far as the leg press weight goes, don't worry about what others are doing. I did my leg workout tonight and my weights varied between 100-165.. I do a 45 degree leg press and I can get it up to 200. A lot of gals are afraid to lift heavy for fear of getting bulky.. but that just won't happen.

Also, see if you can talk to a personal trainer at your gym. Most will do a free session and help get you started in strength training.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Ooh there's a thought! I'm going to try that on Friday :D