Tips to get through the Holidays...Binge Eaters/Sugar Addict

Options
Ive been thinking a lot about Christmas and all the temptations it brings....I thought we could all share any tips we have to help resist temptation?! Or share concerns?

Ive told close friends/family/close work colleagues straight out that I have a problem with food, and not to offer me anything!! lol Ive made a bit of a joke about it, but of course Im actually deadly serious! ( I have some kind of weird eating/sugar addiction/binge eater etc blah blah)

Im a little worried about upcoming events and the temptations that may be there...ie this weekend Im going ice skating and to Christmas Food Markets...there'll be fudge, hot chocolate, german sausage hot dogs...(drool and apologies for mentioning those words to my fellow sugar addicts) Then theres Christmas Day itself, the hangover craving for pizza, random nights out etc. Im not used to "enjoying" myself without food involved somehow!!!

I of course aim to avoid all of this, and plan ahead, etc, ie I plan to avoid EVERYTHING at the Ice Skating Day, as one smell/taste of sugar results in some demonic binge where pretty much nothing stops me eating all sugary things around me.

Anyone else feel the same?!! How do you plan to cope?!

xx

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I am trying to count everything, but will give myself a couple of binge days. Knowing out how many calories are in each cookie makes me think twice.

We had our family cookie exchange over the weekend; I baked in moderation (hoping others will catch on to that....) and froze everything I could. I enjoyed others before they went stale, and am skipping the ones that aren't worth it to me.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I want to hear the responses to this.
  • patsyanne
    Options
    Be very picky and I will be sure that what I take is worth the calories I am putting in my mouth. We cant not try anything because if we do we will feel sorry for ourselves and at some point we will eat...I used to be a food aholic ...oh no not in front of others but when no one was looking I ate a lot of stuff. Good luck ...save your calories for the special events and keep a bottle of water in your hand most of the time.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    This post made me laugh because its like I'm describing myself! Once I start, I can't stop!!!!! I'm going to allow myself a couple of binge days... Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years. BUT, the rest of the time I'm going to remain accountable. I can't help it- food makes me happy, and if I see everyone else around me enjoying food, then I'll be miserable. And who wants to be miserable on Christmas morning??????
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I had to give up processed sugar all together. I haven't had any in 10 years now and it was a really good choice for me. I do not preach this lifestyle to others, I'm just sharing my personal choice.

I do eat fruit, drink alcohol and consume sweet things like milk. I'm also willing to use a very limited amount of low glycemic "sweeteners" like Agava to make a sugar-free cheesecake for Thanksgiving. :happy:
  • devteach1
    Options
    I hear angels speaking to me..... I felt like I was the only one with this Sugar problem. During my second pregnancy ( now my son is 8 months) I had a sugar problem.... gummy worms, cabbage patch kids, and cokes (and a heck of a lot more). And I can not wean myself off of regular coke (I have to have one every other day or something).

I feel your pain because I want to make cookies, cakes, and all the goodies....but I am sooo afraid! I want to do it... don't want to..want to. I just want to roll up in a ball.
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This post made me laugh because its like I'm describing myself! Once I start, I can't stop!!!!! I'm going to allow myself a couple of binge days... Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years. BUT, the rest of the time I'm going to remain accountable. I can't help it- food makes me happy, and if I see everyone else around me enjoying food, then I'll be miserable. And who wants to be miserable on Christmas morning??????

Do you mean youll allow full on binges? Or do you mean youll have cake/cookies etc as they come. I am afraid to touch one sugary thing, as the minute I have one, it could result in a "pyschotic" binge for 3 days....

I do find that cutting out processed sugar, ( for the last 3 weeks) has helped me, I havent binged yet at all. ALso no tea or coffee...so I hope to have tea or something at this ice skating thing as a treat LOL ( Tea a treat, never thought Id say that!)

Im going to take each day as it comes...perhaps we should up the excercise a little so we're not left with that disappointed guilty feeling if a binge moment occurs?
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I eat out once a month and don't county calories, but I don't go crazy either and I still lose. I am going for a meal on christmas day and it is a 3 course meal. I don't think I will be able to eat all of it but will still track what I can in my diary. I also have my 40th birthday meal next week. So 2 meals in one month is going to kill my weight loss over December. I will work out as much as I can and stay on track the other days. I am keeping my fingers crossed I don't put on but if I do I know I can soon lose it again afterwards.

I am not cutting out anything in my new healthy eating regime. This is a lifetime change not a "diet" for me.
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think if it were me in a situation I'd probably not plan on completely depriving myself, but go on with enough exercise under my belt to be able to enjoy a few things. It sounds like you've worked hard to completely cut it all out - which shows incredible self control! How about now working on moderation as self control? Think of the feeling of accomplishment you can have if you decide, let's say, to only try 2 small cookies at this fair? And succeed?

My thought is that I don't plan on cutting out these things for the rest of my life so I have to learn moderation NOW. The day of an evening event like this I'd try to eat lean and light. I'll survive off salads that day if it will allow me some treats that night. And I'd do a little research on calories before I go. How much calories does the average peanut butter cookie or piece of fudge have? I can keep this in mind and decide what I'd really like to try and what I can skip. And log what I eat! And if I go over a tad? Add a bit more exercise and try to zig zag my calories a bit lower tomorrow.

You can put your mind to it if you try. My guys wanted pizza this week, so we did. I topped mine with vegetables. I logged in pieces of cheese pizza two or three times this week. I ate other meals full of fruits and vegetables and good lean protein. I kept my calories and my macros within my ranges. It's my first week and I've lost 7 pounds. Deprivation does not keep me on 'diets' anymore. I like to think of this as a lifestyle change of healthier eating and moderation. I just have to make it stick to goal and into maintenance!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I did discover with myself- and as I've shared w/ other MFP friends, they've said it's true of them also-

that soda pop is a huge trigger to set off a sugar binge.

I poof-poofed it, because I don't drink a lot of soda- period.
    But all it takes is ONE - doesn't matter if it's caffeinated or decaffeinated-

to prime the pump and send me into an insatiable sweet tooth binge.

So, I MUST stay away from it....which stinks, because I enjoy some gingerale when I'm feeling under the weather ( cold/sore throat/tummy ache)

I have eliminated High Fructose Corn Syrup from my food items but I have no control over eating away from home-
    and that's the first ingredient in soda pop.......which makes me wonder if that's the trigger for this last binge....I had some
    BBQ sauce loaded with it- several days in a row.......
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think if it were me in a situation I'd probably not plan on completely depriving myself, but go on with enough exercise under my belt to be able to enjoy a few things. It sounds like you've worked hard to completely cut it all out - which shows incredible self control! How about now working on moderation as self control? Think of the feeling of accomplishment you can have if you decide, let's say, to only try 2 small cookies at this fair? And succeed?

My thought is that I don't plan on cutting out these things for the rest of my life so I have to learn moderation NOW. The day of an evening event like this I'd try to eat lean and light. I'll survive off salads that day if it will allow me some treats that night. And I'd do a little research on calories before I go. How much calories does the average peanut butter cookie or piece of fudge have? I can keep this in mind and decide what I'd really like to try and what I can skip. And log what I eat! And if I go over a tad? Add a bit more exercise and try to zig zag my calories a bit lower tomorrow.

You can put your mind to it if you try. My guys wanted pizza this week, so we did. I topped mine with vegetables. I logged in pieces of cheese pizza two or three times this week. I ate other meals full of fruits and vegetables and good lean protein. I kept my calories and my macros within my ranges. It's my first week and I've lost 7 pounds. Deprivation does not keep me on 'diets' anymore. I like to think of this as a lifestyle change of healthier eating and moderation. I just have to make it stick to goal and into maintenance!

Good Idea about checking a few kcals before heading out...I dont see it as depriving myself though by cutting out sugar. I simply cant have it. Its like offering an alcoholic a shot of tequila and suggesting they try that a couple of times a week, so as not to deprive themselves. Its the only way I can think of explaining it!! These are not controlled binges Im talking about, as my fellow binge eaters will understand....This is something that is triggered usually by a taste or smell of sugar and results in tearing the house apart like some sort of demon to find more...all reason and rational goes out the window! Its the strangest thing!!! I do see it as a lifestyle change by cutting it out as unfortunately Ive been like this for years. Am definitely going to check out cals though, and also put serous thought into having something like a hot dog or hot chocolate at the night out. Thanks for the replies!
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Good Idea about checking a few kcals before heading out...I dont see it as depriving myself though by cutting out sugar. I simply cant have it. Its like offering an alcoholic a shot of tequila and suggesting they try that a couple of times a week, so as not to deprive themselves. Its the only way I can think of explaining it!! These are not controlled binges Im talking about, as my fellow binge eaters will understand....This is something that is triggered usually by a taste or smell of sugar and results in tearing the house apart like some sort of demon to find more...all reason and rational goes out the window! Its the strangest thing!!! I do see it as a lifestyle change by cutting it out as unfortunately Ive been like this for years. Am definitely going to check out cals though, and also put serous thought into having something like a hot dog or hot chocolate at the night out. Thanks for the replies!

This was me too, and still is I'm sure. I just can't have it or else, no limits, no logic, just all out binging. I find it easier not to eat it at all than try to limit it. Good luck with your journey. I hope you find a way that works for you.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    After looking at the calories, if you still want it, then have a 1/4 piece of everything! That way you get to try it and not feel deprived.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    WOW - Hello twin sister!

TOTAL AVOIDANCE is the only thing that works for me. OUT OF SIGHT - OUT OF MIND.
    I'm this way with sugary stuff and salty stuff though. If I have one bite or if I see it for a split second (and it's within reach) the runaway train is unleashed and I do not stop until I am sick to my stomach and shamed beyond belief.

Eating this stuff in moderation is impossible for me so I just try my hardest to avoid it. I've tried adding in tons of extra exercise/cardio and I've tried planning days in advance even researching menus and places I'm going to be and figuring out the healthiest option - nothing works. I just end up getting derailed.

It sucks because my social life has gone to hell - no more happy hours, brunches, dinners or parties. I only go out to special events like weddings and they ALWAYS end in disaster... hello cake.

I am trying something new tho - gum and tea. Keeping my mouth full of gum or drinking tea whenever I want cookies, fudge or cheese instead, seems to help a little.
  • pixydoodle
    Options
    I usually give cookies /candies as a gift to friends and family - last 15 years or so I've made 12-15 different recipes a year and had lots of leftovers for snacking on. This year i'm only giving a few and everyone chose their single favorite from last year's mix so I will not have the leftover sweets in my house
  • pixydoodle
    Options

I feel your pain because I want to make cookies, cakes, and all the goodies....but I am sooo afraid! I want to do it... don't want to..want to. I just want to roll up in a ball.

This is what gets me every time, I love to bake and I love almost any kind of baked good and pastry, even the deep fried ones - learning to live without baking or when i bake i allow myself one or two small portions and give the rest away. Homemade pies no longer stay in my kitchen as an option for breakfast
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i honestly just limit my portions. i will say "okay, you have have two cookies and then you're going to go do ______". keeping my hands busy and/or doing something involved REALLY helps me.