Just Starting, No Choice!

Options
I loved to play in the park with my grandchildren, but in general I could not get enough of the outdoors. At my age playing outdoor sports had become a bit dodgey for me, but my husband and I would pack picnics and off er would go almost every weekend to a different place. We would take those funny double bikes with the shade on top on Centre Island and peddle all over the Island especially in the Fall, so lovely. We would trek through the woods in Autumn and early Summer, such a spiritual experiance. If we went away for a couple of days we would tind a place with a pool so that we could go swimming before bed and before breakfast. THEN...I FELL VERY ILL! Was rushed into the hospital where I stayed for almost a month fighting to come back from "the edge." This was last June and together with daily visits from Nurses etc. it became a battle to regain my will to live and to get my health back. Since I was in bed for months I became sedentary and my muscles turned idle. I did not eat right, I ate what I wanted. Before I new it I was the heaviest I had ever been...190 lbs from 150 lbs at the beginning of last year. MY PROBLEM IS : no self esteem, few clothes that fit and dreading Summer. My illness took away my ability to do what I loved most ..... and that was walk, walk, walk! I begin seeing a Physio Therapist next week and that has given me courage to start over with a fitness plan. I have no self esteem but at one time people used to think I was so much younger than I was and in my 50's would not believe I was a Grandmother. Now, I have become somewhat of a recluse. There are so many wonderful testimonies on here so I am hoping that this time next year I might become one of them. ARE THERE OTHERS WHO ARE JUST STARTING BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO CHOICE? FOR ME, TO DO NOTHING WOULD BE A DANGEROUS CHOICE, HEALTHWISE!

HOW DO I GET MOMENTUM GOING?

Replies

• Dorothy0106
    Options
    I loved to play in the park with my grandchildren, but in general I could not get enough of the outdoors. At my age playing outdoor sports had become a bit dodgey for me, but my husband and I would pack picnics and off er would go almost every weekend to a different place. We would take those funny double bikes with the shade on top on Centre Island and peddle all over the Island especially in the Fall, so lovely. We would trek through the woods in Autumn and early Summer, such a spiritual experiance. If we went away for a couple of days we would tind a place with a pool so that we could go swimming before bed and before breakfast. THEN...I FELL VERY ILL! Was rushed into the hospital where I stayed for almost a month fighting to come back from "the edge." This was last June and together with daily visits from Nurses etc. it became a battle to regain my will to live and to get my health back. Since I was in bed for months I became sedentary and my muscles turned idle. I did not eat right, I ate what I wanted. Before I new it I was the heaviest I had ever been...190 lbs from 150 lbs at the beginning of last year. MY PROBLEM IS : no self esteem, few clothes that fit and dreading Summer. My illness took away my ability to do what I loved most ..... and that was walk, walk, walk! I begin seeing a Physio Therapist next week and that has given me courage to start over with a fitness plan. I have no self esteem but at one time people used to think I was so much younger than I was and in my 50's would not believe I was a Grandmother. Now, I have become somewhat of a recluse. There are so many wonderful testimonies on here so I am hoping that this time next year I might become one of them. ARE THERE OTHERS WHO ARE JUST STARTING BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO CHOICE? FOR ME, TO DO NOTHING WOULD BE A DANGEROUS CHOICE, HEALTHWISE!

HOW DO I GET MOMENTUM GOING?
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm not in your situation exactly - but my goal is to stay as healthy as possible.

So Welcome!
    :flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the best site ever MFP. I :heart: this site and think you will too. Everyone is so friendly and nice here. This site is so motivational, supportive, helpful and easy to use. I just wanted to wish you good luck on your weight loss journey and tell you that YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :happy:
  • Dorothy0106
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply and your encouragement :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Dorothy0106
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply. I find it very helpful to be encouraged by others who are trying to acheive what you are trying to acheive....no matter what age or gender we might be. Best wishes :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • IUChelle423
    IUChelle423 Posts: 197
    Options
    Welcome Dorothy! :flowerforyou:

I am not in your situation, but I do have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, which makes it very important for me to stay active and keep my weight in check so that I don't cause any extra strain on my joints. This site is great for keeping you motivated and accountable. Hope you like it here!
  • reedwoman814
    Options
    I joined this site last October, but I just this week actually started using it. Like you, I have no choice. I can barely walk anymore, let alone do anything else. I'm missing out on my babies childhoods. I have 3 daughters ages 8, 6, and 2 1/2, and I'm stuck on the bench while they play in the park, or sitting on the stoop while they ride their bikes. I want to play with them, and take them camping and hiking and rollerblading. This forum has been very very uplifting. I already feel like I'm part of a community here.

We owe it to ourselves to get what we want, and what we want is to be active. :flowerforyou:
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I think everyone's got to find their motivation(s) and then remind themselves of it constantly. For me I want to be in great shape for my upcoming trip to Australia. I remind myself constantly by having pictures of the places I want to visit on my refridgerator, on my desktop, and on my closet, etc. Maybe a picture of you and your husband smiling and active on the bedstand is enough to help motivate you every morning. For everyone it's different and if you find yourself slacking off then find some more pictures/music/etc.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Dorothy, I am glad you found MFP!

Going to the PT was the beginning of a new life for me. I have since lost 30 pounds and found ME again!!

I know you can do this!! Good luck!:flowerforyou: