How do You Track Cals Burned When Playing with Your Kids..

Options
Question? To all of you with little ones, how do you (if you do ) count/track your calories burned while playing with your kids ... say for example a day at the park, a couple hours at playground or just playing with them around the house?

Replies

• AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't track it (although I should say I don't have kids!). I'd just adjust my activity level, assuming you play with your kids every day! So if you're "sedentary" right now, I'd make yourself "lightly active."
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Unless I know I'm getting some sort of workout (like going for a walk or something), I basically avoid it adding it. Extra calories burned :)
  • javajunki
    Options
    IF you happen to already have a HRM you could wear it during the activity a couple of times to get an idea of the calories burned, then just add a similar activity that is close.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I personally don't add it in as exercise (I have 3 children under 7 years old). I did change my "activity" as lightly active though. A HRM would be good though if you do want to log it.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    If asked myself that question a few times actually. I don't play with them actively every day, but on the weekends chasing two or more kids around a playground and interracting with them can sure work up a sweat on a warm day. I havent logged this before, but I'll allow myself just a little more flexibilty with my cals for the day if I think I've earned it :)
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I don't count it. I consider that a normal part of my day.
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Options
    I don't count it either.
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't count it. I consider that a normal part of my day.

Agree 100%
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I consider such things mere items that contribute to your general activity setting.

Don't track it.
    You'll find people trying to track every single thing, and such wishful thinkers are usually those who over state calories burned and under report food intake, then complain when they make little progress.

It's the very tomfoolery typical of the professional dieter.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't track it (although I should say I don't have kids!). I'd just adjust my activity level, assuming you play with your kids every day! So if you're "sedentary" right now, I'd make yourself "lightly active."

That's what I did.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I consider such things mere items that contribute to your general activity setting.

Don't track it.
    You'll find people trying to track every single thing, and such wishful thinkers are usually those who over state calories burned and under report food intake, then complain when they make little progress.

That sounds exactly right!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't. The first 5 years of his life I played with him and I gained nearly 40 pounds...that said, he and I play tennis and jog together sometimes, so I do log that!
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    Good points, I don't track/ count them in my cals burned just interest to see if others did , how so is all.
  • Expatgirl
    Expatgirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Look under care of primates/wild or wild animal care in the exercise database.
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I only track actual cardiac exercise……treadmill, bike, running, workout video etc. I am not one to track cleaning my house or shopping. To me those are normal daily living activities. To me playing with the kids is the same. The only extra thing I track is yard work or shoveling.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options

Don't track it.

Agreed!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You don't. Lump it into your lifestyle.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options

Don't track it.

That sounds exactly right!

I totally agree with this. I see it all the time, if I logged playing with kids, doing laundry, washing dishes then I would have calories galore.... I did those things while obese and it didn't help any then... why would it help now?
  • OutiR
    OutiR Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Look under care of primates/wild or wild animal care in the exercise database.

I trust playing with my cat goes to this categhory also, LOL! :-D
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I don't have my own kids, but when I play with my friend's kids I log it, because its not a normal thing. Its usually once or a few times a month at most.

I just add an extra 100 calories per hour, which is pretty conservative i think