Help with tofu?

Options
2»

Replies

• cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I GUARANTEE that this is your best option - place it between two towels, put a pan or cutting board on top, and then something heavy on top of that. I use my knife block. Let it press for half an hour. It will change your tofu-cooking life. Especially if you want to crumble it up like ground meat. MMMM.

Yes this is what I was going to post...I love doing this and then crumbling it up with italian spices, nutritional yeast, and garlic salt and using it as my "ricotta cheese" in veggie lasagna with whole wheat noodles. soooo yummy!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Extra firm and let it rest after taking it out of the package on some paper towels and it will lose some of it's excess water. Then saute it up in a smidgen of oil with whatever seasoning you want and then add it to whatever you are cooking. It does really well in a wok. Good stuff because it will take on almost any flavors.
  • stephanie_salvi
    Options
    I get extra firm, drain it by placing something heavy on top of it, then slice it thinly. After that I brown it in a pan.

Same here. I hate gooey tofu.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I try and hide tofu in a bunch of my kids food so that they get some extra protein as they don't really like too much meat. :) When they were little I would crumble it up in ramen....The other day I heard my oldest telling her friend that she liked it b/c it wasn't heavy like meat, and tasted like the sauce. Ok so she's 17 but it's cool.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    bump