Walmart Produce = SH(you know where thats going)

Options
I bought about 7 pounds of these HUGE sweet potato's on Friday for the week ( these things were on plant roids). Today is Tuesday, and I got through 3 pounds. Had to throw the rest out because it was covered with mold.

Thats about two dollars pissed down the drain. What the **** is with walmart and their produce. This is like a regular occurrence with them, its worth going somewhere else and spending more to not have to throw over half it out just a few short days later.

Thoughts people?

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I hate Wal-Mart's produce....
  • abrown4348
    abrown4348 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I hate Walmart in general. If you have a Sunflower Market or Sprouts where you live - they are great. Inexpensive and really good. I buy all my produce there.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I try to get produce either at fruit stands or at grocery-only stores. . . what is even more disturbing is how many of the weirdy walmartian regulars have handled that produce. . . *shivers*
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    Options
    I've been unhappy with the produce from just about everywhere lately. It's all crap and mush and tasteless. I hope that changes soon.
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    Does that mean they use less pesticides?

I know on bread if it goes moldy quickly it's has less preservatives in them
  • Labcoathipster
    Options
    I hate Walmart in general. If you have a Sunflower Market or Sprouts where you live - they are great. Inexpensive and really good. I buy all my produce there.

Amen!
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I refuse to buy produce at Walmart. In the end I end up saving money because I don't have to through my food away.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I prefer to only go to Walmart for **** that's just cheaper normal household items. Whole foods and randalls is where I get my produce. Also, consider freezing stuff? I buy veggies, chop em up, put them in the ziploc steamer bags with any seasoning I want, then just pop them in the microwave. *shrug* just a thought.
  • earlgreygirl09
    Options
    I also shop at Sprouts Market........I agree, the produce at Walmart is no bueno!!!! I don't know why that is the case EVERY time! I find that their fruit is slightly better than their vegetables for some reason............but I rarely shop there, only to pick up things, which thankfully, isn't often!!
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    We pick up most of our produce from Costco or the local organic store. Not a big fan of the Super Centers unless we are traveling. Nothing better than landing somewhere in the middle of the night and being able to hit one up for fresh produce for the hotel room.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i try to not buy produce at wm. same thing. it looks ok when i buy it, but it always seems to go moldy fast. I usually buy at the discount grocery store, and it lasts longer. wm is mostly for yogert, creamer, vitamins, and cleaners and stuff.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I had to toss out a carton of strawberries the day after I bought them from walmart. Ridiculous.