I Did a Bad Thing

Options
Today I had three classes, a paper to write, work to do with friends, errands. I ended up not eating all day, and then going with my friends to get 5 Guys in celebration of the end of the semester. I had a huge cheeseburger and fries, and some soda which I NEVER drink. =( So I essentially starved myself all day and then ate a ton of crap. I did walk 4+ miles and im about to do p90x, but I still feel super guilty. And with end of the semester parties, late night finals snacks, Christmas and New Years, im afraid of all this negative food and alcohol. =(

Replies

• love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power. :-) Use it! Enjoy the holidays--in moderation!
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    Ok so what now? The good thing is you realize what is unhealthy about what you ate. So If you don't like it, change it!!

What you ate today doesn't seem really bad to me. Plus working out. I think you're good :)

Good luck
  • Cherisehirz
    Options
    Forgive Yourself. It's okay... It was just one meal, one day.... Plus, you did work out today, so you can't beat yourself up for that. Just remember you are one step ahead of a lot of people. When I slip up and feel guilty I remind myself that tomorrow is a new day, and that I am still one step ahead of the person who never works out and who eats crap like that everyday for every meal. It is okay to have balance, and moderation, and a "slurge" now and then.... we are human. This is about a lifestyle, not an extreme. We will make "mistakes". If you ask me, I think you deserved to celebrate! Way to go finishing up with finals! I'm right there with you! My last final is Thursday, and I already have a lunch date planned with the girls for Friday! Celebrate your success and remember that "Strength is only moving forward"! Good luck to you! :happy:
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    guilt is absolutely useless in this scenario. Acknowledge, accept, move on. I tend to 'give up' if I'm feeling guilty, instead of doing better tomorrow and just forgiving myself for being human.

GG
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    No big deal!!!! Tomorrow's a new day!!!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    yup, blew it last saturday night. regretting it, but moving forward I won't be so stupid next time!
    every day can be a do-over.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    the good thing about doing something we dont like is we can change how we move forward. when you know you will have days like these, plan ahead, i always have to have some kind of nuts or bar with me as i get sick if i dont eat. if you have something or maybe a piece of fruit in your bag, then you wont feel like you have to eat your arm! it is only one day like veryone else said, learn from it and do better next time. the more you practice this program, the easier it will get.
  • aquapussy
    Options
    You should let yourself have something naughty once in a while, as long as you don't have a real food addiction you can cheat every so often and go back to your normal eating habits. Life is pretty boring without allowing ourselves a little bit of bad stuff.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Look at the things you did right today - went to class, wrote your paper. Next time throw an apple in your book bag and a bottle of H2O so you're not starved when you get a chance to go out with your friends. Luckily, tomorrow's a new day and a chance to do bettter.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Mate, you probably still stayed under your cals for the day anyway (or not too far off). Your macros might not be so great, but so what, it's one day! Consider it an experiment in intermittent fasting :P

You know you feel like crap now, it will make you want to do better next time. Put it in perspective though, one bad day, or a bad couple of weeks over the course of a year.. or a lifetime... not a blip on the radar. Remember this is a lifestyle, not a diet you can 'fall off the wagon' from.

You know what you have to do long term to make this work, don't sweat the small stuff!
  • kimibunny
    Options
    5 guys? Calories well spent. I'd regret nothing.
  • mochaphobic
    mochaphobic Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    And with end of the semester parties, late night finals snacks, Christmas and New Years, im afraid of all this negative food and alcohol. =(

One thing that I used to do when planning to go out and celebrate is to log in those calories earlier in the day for the party time. You can pre-record the alcohol and some snacks, like pre-planning what you are going to eat. Then you can just check in with your phone later in the day, add what you need to or delete what you didn't eat. When you know you'll be celebrating, just planning ahead of time what you will eat/drink and having it in your conscious mind makes it easier to stay true to your goals. And remember, they are goals. If you party one day, it's okay. Jump back on the bandwagon the next. The thing is to be as consistent as possible and in the long run it'll pay off. Oh yeah, if you think you'll over eat at the parties or gatherings, drink your water (take your beer bottle and fill it with water if you need to) and keep your hands full or busy so they aren't grabbing chips, deep fried cheese curds, whatever the snacks are. It will work if you want it to. :)
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

This!
  • OutiR
    OutiR Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We are here to "live and learn" so take it as a lesson; what can you do differently next time to avoid that happening again? Maybe keep with you couple of snack bars all the time so when you are in hurry, you can at least take one and keep your blood sugar in bearable level until getting proper food. They don't take much space and are light to carry with your other things. Proper, filling breakfast also help you long way but not through whole day so plan a little ahead.
  • courtgosvener
    courtgosvener Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    All last week I was away from home visiting my in laws and I didn't count calories. I didn't intend for it to be that way, but with a house full of crap and living in the middle of no where there wasn't a lot of options for me. Once I started I couldn't "stop" persay. I had full calorie Mochas (i was in the northwest with starbucks on every corner) and I did eat out at sit down restaurants about 3x. Anyway, I felt so guilty and horrible about it. i resolved that i would just do better next week. Well when I got on the scale after returning home, it was down 1.4 pounds!! Now i am not advocating overeating or eating junk food or any of the sort, but all I can say is that if you stay somewhat active and know you aren't going to go off the deep end, then a "cheat" here or there isn't going to kill you. It's sticking with it and resolving to do better and stick to the plan 90% of the time that matters! Good luck!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

This!

YES, 5 guys is always worth it. Besides, they have vegetables there... Get everything on the burger, can't go wrong.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Five Guys is sooo good! I went there not too long ago and I was able to stay within my calorie goal, I'm sure you'll be fine! Especially with working out and being really busy, you probably didn't ruin your day too much at all!
  • kkova811
    kkova811 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I seriously love all you guys!
  • RunningRachel2012
    Options
    When I was feeling demotivated when it came to what I like to call 'eating seasons' i.e. end of uni terms, christmas, easter etc, my boyfriend said something to me that has really stuck with me. He told me that food and eating is the one thing a person has complete control over, even if it feels like you are being made to eat you can say no! So if you want to stay on track just eat everything in moderation, but if you want to enjoy the food during these seasons then go for it and don't feel guilty. You are in this for yourself, nobody else! It is only you that can achieve the goals you have set, so take that control and be happy. Please don't feel guilty, sometimes fattening food is lovely, and exactly what you want at that time!

My grandmother is notorious for trying to get me to eat all sorts of calorific treats, and kept saying no, and now she always comments on my slim figure and how well I have done to maintain it. Be selfish and realise what is best for you :flowerforyou: