Has anyone ever......

Options
Written down what MFP says you will weigh in 5 weeks if "every day were like today" and then actually ate and exercised that exact same way to see if you were in fact that weight 5 weeks later? OR have you actually made it to that weight in 5 weeks?
I never have made it in the 5 weeks that MFP says.

I mean, I'm sure you have to vary your food a bit, 5 weeks of the exact same food would bore me to death.....actually it would make me stop eating so, I guess I would make that weight in 5 weeks if I did everything EXACTLY the same.
Just wondering because I have NEVER met that number in 5 weeks.

Replies

• SangD
    SangD Posts: 7
    Options
    That is funny that you ask that....because just the other day...I said I am going to eat EXACTLY what I ate today EVERY DAY until 5 weeks and see if that is true!

But then I realized I would get BORED!!!!
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I know, but how do they figure you could make it to that weight? It is almost impossible to do every day the EXACT same. Sometimes my number seems so absurd that I laugh out loud when I see it!

I mean, I have started toget it in my head that food is fuel not pleasure......which for someone that hopes to be a Chef someday those words are poison coming out of my mouth. I LOVE food....everytthing about it! Smell, taste, texture, color, the way it looks on dishes. Food is art and to look at the same painting for 5 weeks would get insanely boring so how would you eat the exact same thing for 5 days?

p.s. I KNOW that isn't the extreme manner to take on this, just for fun..go with it....and explain what you think thy are trying to get at by having that pop up.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    during training (the leaning phase) I did that for a few weeks (ate the same thing over and over again), it made me very emotional, like crying about eating hard boiled eggs.... Today was the first day I had one since then.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    during training (the leaning phase) I did that for a few weeks (ate the same thing over and over again), it made me very emotional, like crying about eating hard boiled eggs.... Today was the first day I had one since then.
    YEAH! like that! I would not be a nice person!

I do eat boiled eggs quite a bit...they are one of my "fuel" foods! I eat them with no emotion attached!
    Now Ice cream.....we have a love affair, lot's of emotion there!

****, now some analytical peeps are going to tell me to evalute WHY I have an emotional attachment to ice cream!
    Well, because I LOVE it!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

I do eat boiled eggs quite a bit...they are one of my "fuel" foods! I eat them with no emotion attached!

****, now some analytical peeps are going to tell me to evalute WHY I have an emotional attachment to ice cream!
    Well, because I LOVE it!

I like them, too. I THOUGHT I could eat them every day, no big deal, but trust me, they got old REAL fast and depressed me when I knew my options were very limited.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    The number is based on your net calories for the day, not the food you eat. You could eat totally different foods, but if your calories are the same at the end of the day, you will get the same number.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I know, but how do they figure you could make it to that weight? It is almost impossible to do every day the EXACT same. Sometimes my number seems so absurd that I laugh out loud when I see it!

There is no magic about the number - it is a simple maths equation based on the number of net calories that you eat on a given day.
    It doesn't mean that you have to eat exactly the same foods, but that that if your net calorie number is the same at the end of the day, then you should see that amount of weight loss in 5 weeks.
    It's based on the theory that there are 3500 calories in a pound, so if you have a 500 calorie deficit each day you should lose 1 pound a week.

I've found the numbers pretty accurate for me - but then I usually eat pretty close to my net calorie goal each day. I think that if you create a HUGE deficit one day then it is going to predict a really big loss and that isn't likely to happen for most people.
    It doesn't mean that MFP is making it up, it means that you have given it an unrealistic scenario to work with.

I think that if you want to actually match those 5 week predictions, then you need to:
    - have your calorie goal set at a realistic goal for your body. If you weight130 pounds and are set to lose 2 pounds a week and have a huge deficit each day that probably isn't going to happen, no matter what the numbers say.
    - be accurate with logging food and exercise
    - eat around your net calorie deficit each day.

This is only my opinion, but I hope it helps!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

Well, because I LOVE it!

I like them, too. I THOUGHT I could eat them every day, no big deal, but trust me, they got old REAL fast and depressed me when I knew my options were very limited.

*Boiledeggforyou*

I used to track the number, but stopped because quite frankly, I'm not worried about what it might be in five weeks. Progress is progress.
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I put it down in my little note but honestly never really cared enough to see if I'm at that weight in 5 weeks. My scale isn't currently moving but my clothing sizes are going down and that's enough for me.
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    i can say i made it close, but i allow myself 1 free day a week where i dont excercise and can basically enjoy what im eating without caring, and i was 600 grams away from my goal in 5 weeks said, if i were to not of given myself the free days i probably wouldve weighed in less
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You know that you can go back 5 weeks and "complete" the day again to see the prediction if you want to.
    I just checked my prediction from 5 weeks ago and it's about 1 pound away from where I am now. That's not saying much though, because I'm more or less maintaining, but even when I was losing weight regularly I found it pretty accurate if I looked at a typical eating day. On an unually high or low calorie day it wasn't that close - which is just what you'd expect, when it wasn't a typical day.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I started making a note at the bottom of my diary with the 5 week weight prediction. Just for kicks I went back and found I had lost the amount it said I would lose in 5 weeks. (Reached it 1 or 2 days early). I was not eating the same everyday. I couldn't ever do that. I'll probabaly never hit that close again. I only make a note of it for fun.
  • Trueguardian
    Options
    Ok, if you eat the same thing everyday, your X factor has to be EXERCISE. I was a wrestler at one time and had to watch my weight while wrestling in the lower weights. My thought was never what I was going to eat, cause I ate the same thing almost all season. That is like 3 months worth of the same ole boring stuff. But, with that being said, knowing that I wrestled each and everyday, made my weight loss happen. It appears no matter what, with anything we try and do, it always come down to throwing in some exercise to make goals really happen. That is my two bits........take care, be safe. :happy:
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I started making a note at the bottom of my diary with the 5 week weight prediction. Just for kicks I went back and found I had lost the amount it said I would lose in 5 weeks. (Reached it 1 or 2 days early). I was not eating the same everyday. I couldn't ever do that. I'll probabaly never hit that close again. I only make a note of it for fun.

This is what I'm talking about. I'm not flipping out over it or anything. I just think it is funny. I don't really have that much of a change in my cals per day or my workout routines. I rotate my workouts on two factors....My morning workout is usually a monthly rotation and my afternoon one is an every other day thing with some occcasional completely insane workouts every now and then...on those days I don't pay one bit of attention to the 5 week thing because I know it is waaay off.
    Never thought about going back to see how close it was. I am goig to do that right now and see how close it was.
    I am very honest about what I log in my diary.....I had ice cream last night and that is what briought up the whole idea in my head. Wow,really. I think it is a bit misleading on some levels. Yesterday was not a horrible day for me as far aseating goes but I have done far better and still had the same cals. Not bad mouthing this site in any way at all because it has helped me lose 20 pounds since mid-July. I undertand the math behind it too...mostly I was wondering if anyone ever actually hit those numbers or even paid attention to it.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I thought it was nuts but thought what the heck.....so checked. I have lost 20.6 lbs since Sept. If I didn't have this site I would have given up already.

I'm brutally honest about my exercise and foods/beverages (calories in vs. calories out). I'll keep at it and it takes as much time as it takes to get to my goal.

Sounds like you're doing the same thing! Good luck!