Quick Question on toning????

Options
I have some bat wings for arms because I rarely strength trained but now I'm going in. Small weight more reps?? Or Big weight small reps?? Which is best???

Replies

• MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Heavier weight, shorter reps (8-12) to fill in the mucle but that is only if you back it up with proper nutrition to help the muscle build.

Coach Nyla
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    NPC Figure Competitor
  • KaySoFocused
    Options
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Heavier weight, shorter reps (8-12) to fill in the mucle but that is only if you back it up with proper nutrition to help the muscle build.

Coach Nyla
    NPC Figure Competitor

agree 100!

That worked for me, but had to loss the bodyfat also to SEE changes. So both diet and heavy weights helped. :)
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Coach Nyla
    NPC Figure Competitor

agree 100!

That worked for me, but had to loss the bodyfat also to SEE changes. So both diet and heavy weights helped. :)

Agree! You need to lose bodyfat to see it...but dont waste your time lifting light weights...
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I love you all :D
    Keep lifting heavy things!
  • AandJsMommy
    Options
    I would love to know too!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    inb4taeboandcardiosculpt
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    lifting low weight multiple times only gets you good at lifting low weight multiple times. to get great results, you need to find a weight that is difficult for you to lift 6-8 times. and you want to do 3-4 reps. rest a minute thirty in between reps.

the chest press and over head press are great combination exercises that target multiple muscle groups, including triceps.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    lifting low weight multiple times only gets you good at lifting low weight multiple times. to get great results, you need to find a weight that is difficult for you to lift 6-8 times. and you want to do 3-4 reps. rest a minute thirty in between reps.

the chest press and over head press are great combination exercises that target multiple muscle groups, including triceps.

I think you mean to 3-4 sets, and rest a minute thirty in between sets. Also that long of a rest isn't necessary, if you feel sufficiently recovered a minute then go for it, don't wait the additional 30 seconds.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP for posting the question...it was straight and to the point w/o a lot of nonsense.

Acg67
    &
    engineman312

Are good ones to listen to btw. And I mean look at them lol think they know what they're talkin about. :wink:
    Best of luck with everything doll!
  • canegrovern
    canegrovern Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem area is my abs It seem as though I cannot get it tone ,the rest of my body is great and firm what am I doing wrong help.
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Agree! You need to lose bodyfat to see it...but dont waste your time lifting light weights...

Don't waste your time NOT LIFTING weights. It is crucial to bone density, which might not matter now but will in your later years. Look for a book at the bookstore or library called The New Rules of Weightlifting for Women. Great information!!
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    heavy weights & smaller reps all the way
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    heavy weights & smaller reps all the way
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Go big or go home. Lift around 70-80% of your max single rep, shoot for 6-8 reps, 4-5 sets per exercise. For triceps I'm a fan of close grip benchpress, scull crushers, weighted dips, and tricep extensions with a cable machine.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

I think you mean to 3-4 sets, and rest a minute thirty in between sets. Also that long of a rest isn't necessary, if you feel sufficiently recovered a minute then go for it, don't wait the additional 30 seconds.

yes, meant sets. while a minute or even less can be enough recovery time for more seasoned lifters, newer lifters might benefit from a slightly longer rest.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem area is my abs It seem as though I cannot get it tone ,the rest of my body is great and firm what am I doing wrong help.
    Abs are 98% diet. You can do all the crunches and planks in the world and have really fantastically strong abs, but if they're covered under a layer of belly fat you'll never see the definition you're looking for.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Abs are 98% diet. You can do all the crunches and planks in the world and have really fantastically strong abs, but if they're covered under a layer of belly fat you'll never see the definition you're looking for.
    ^ This.

<
    I do zero ab work. Not saying you should or shouldn't do any, just pointing out via anecdote that the above quote is spot on.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ^ This.

<
    I do zero ab work. Not saying you should or shouldn't do any, just pointing out via anecdote that the above quote is spot on.

LIAR you told me you do Tae Bo abs 5x a week
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    ^^ oh goodness. cannot. stop. laughing. xD