disappointed in myself

Options
I love reading all the success stories, and I posted one the other day. But I am more sad in the fact that I did not put more effort into pictures and measurements. I was only going off the scale. It makes me sad and disappointed in myself because I feel like I didn't try hard enough and I didn't do the best that I feel I should have been able to. I see people posting about this stuff all the time, about from the moment they started. Granted I was one of those who started MFP and then bailed for awhile, and then decided in Feb 2011 to be more involved and to get more friends for motivation. But I am sorta down that I don't have more to show for the 50lbs I lost. I have been in a slump the past few days because I know I am not pushing myself hard enough, least today I hurt from my work out yesterday, but still. Ugh, sorry I am a Debbie downer today =o(

Replies

• nortiekeeks
    nortiekeeks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    UMMMMM, you have FIFTY pounds lost to show for all of your hard work!!!!! Don't knock yourself, because at the end of the day, that's what counts the most! And that's what this whole thing is all about, for everyone on here - losing weight, and you did, and a LOT, and that's AWESOME!!!!! :bigsmile:

And if you feel like you should've measured OR taken pictures, do it NOW. Track the next however many pounds you plan on losing the way you think you'd feel proud tracking it... :wink:
  • nowisthetime4u
    Options
    We all have slump periods. You are not taking credit for what you have already done! Just think, if you had never started you would be 51 lbs heavier or more, right now! It really is a lifetime process. I just started yesterday. I had lost 30 lbs or so with WW and gained it and more back. My conclusion is that it has to be something you do for life. Life is full up ups and downs. The winner will be the one who can get up after getting down. I'm trying to cement this in my brain - this is for life! Just do some extra walking or movement and burn some calories. I struggle with the foods I love like pizza and desserts. I can name lots more. I am just telling myself I can have some, sometimes, in smaller portions, ie I can't eat the whole pizza! Good luck to you. Hope this helped. Remember, there are a bunch of us in your same boat.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost as much as you but I know that I can have fun with my kids now, my husband tells me more (than before) that he thinks I'm sexy. I feel better, I'm not so out of breath and I'm loving losing weight.

I'm sure you are feeling all of these things, and as much as we like to tell you how great you've done, in your life I'm sure there are plenty of people that have been able to appreciate your hard work.

I also agree with the others. Do it now, it's never too late, and if at the end of the day all you have is after shots of you looking amazing. THAT IS AWESOME!! 51pounds is definitely something to be proud of. GOOD WORK!
  • fayglet
    fayglet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    First, 51 lbs? AWESOME!
    Second, if you are upset that you haven't been cataloging your weight loss so well, don't worry! You can start now with some good-quality photos and measurements. As for pictures, I'm sure you have 'before' shots. Check facebook or with family/friends if they have any good pictures - both face and body - from the last little while (example, from a family birthday party or work event). Hopefully you will build a small timeline with examples of how you've changed.
    Regardless of how that goes, you should feel proud of yourself just for having come this far.
    No debbie downers for you ;)
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! your right! it is never to late to start!!! Today I am going to take proper measurements and pictures, I am hoping to lose another 50lbs. Thank you!!!!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you've done a lot, and you should be proud of that. however, dedication can only come from within. yes, you can get motivated by friends and ppls stories, but that can only take you so far.

read this: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/08/31/is-it-really-worth-it/ i read that, and i get a fire lit under my keister to go out and be the best i can.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What do you have to show for it? You're living well. That's all you really need.

I know where you're coming from though. When I bought my house, it was a disaster and I spent months renovating just to make it livable. It was so awful, I was embarrassed to take pictures. I wish now that I took "before" pictures to show people just how far it came, but in the end, just hearing, "Your house is beautiful!" is enough. I know what it looked like, and I know it's beautiful now. But I did learn from it that I should never let humiliation keep me from cataloging information. :wink:
  • ginareejoy
    ginareejoy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You have done more than THOUSANDS of people have done! Turn your frustration around and put it into working out and focusing on doing better. Don't be down on yourself. :) xoxo
  • jkmurphy06
    jkmurphy06 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing where I started and stopped MFP and my weight was the only thing I properly documented. I wish I had better before pictures. I can't find a single picture of my before bare midrift because I'm pretty sure I burned them all. ;) Just because you didn't document your measurements before doesn't mean that your effort was for nought. You shouldn't need numbers to validate your progress; your new healthy outlook on life should more than validate all your hard work. Well done and try not to be so down on yourself. I know it's hard, I've lost 20lbs and still beat myself up if I skip a day at the gym or have a day where I'm over my caloric intake. I think we all need to take a step back and realize that the mere fact that we are on this site, documenting our progress and providing support for eachother is a huge step toward living a healthier life. :happy:
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    you've done a lot, and you should be proud of that. however, dedication can only come from within. yes, you can get motivated by friends and ppls stories, but that can only take you so far.

read this: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/08/31/is-it-really-worth-it/ i read that, and i get a fire lit under my keister to go out and be the best i can.

Thank you for the website it is awesome!!