WTH??

Options
Okay...I've been with MFP since the beginning of October and I LOVE it. I have struggled trying to lose weight FOREVER (especially after having children). I stepped on the scale Saturday morning and couldn't believe my eyes...I had lost 10 lbs since joining MFP (after a LOT of hard work too!!). I was so excited and proud of myself. I have continued to watch what I eat and to do my workouts...but I've been REALLY stressed at work the past few days. With that being said...I stepped on the scale this morning and it screamed at me in HUGE red numbers that I have gained 3.5 lbs since Saturday. WTH?! Can stress cause this gain? I haven't strayed away from my healthy eating other than having 3 cocktails Saturday night...and I drank a LOT of water on Sunday. How can I have gained this much in such a short period? I need some sound advice before I break out into tears.

Replies

• illecl
    illecl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As a female, I'd guess water weight. It should come right off, you're on the right track!
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Keep plugging away - I have tried to stick away from scales this time (I still weigh but only every now and then) - and mainly deal with measurements. I would of had some scares along the way otherwise - and that tends to put me into 'why am I bothering' mode - so yep - stick away from them I say.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Patience!!! Put the scale away if you must. Have you taken measurements? If not do so, I take mine monthly.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I would also say put the scale away. Stress, water weight, unless you went on a complete food binge over the weekend, I wouldn't freak out about it. Keep doing what you are doing and I am sure the scale will go back down
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I gained weight while I lost inches for like 60 days. Scales don't tell the whole story.
  • Murlin54
    Murlin54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You can retain a lot of fluid after a high carb day. If your calories are in line you should not have actually gained any real weight. Seriously, remember you have to eat 3500 extra calories to gain a pound, but excess carbs, or higher carbs than your normal intake could cause you to hold on to more fluid. I understand your frustration, as it seems like so much work to lose the pounds and it is so easy to gain them back. Sometimes it seems you can smell a desert and you gain a pound, but it can't really happen that way.

And I believe stress can also cause fluid retention. I know it raises cortisol levels and if consistent can cause weight gain (belly fat). I hope the job stress is only temporary.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Using total body weight as a "go by" for progress can really set you up.

Could be additonal lean mass "gain" which is great, could be water retention.....or you might have to re-evaluate your nutritional choices and/or ratios.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    PMS?:grumble:
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    Could be many reason but the 3.5 pounds will not stick. If you had a sodium rich day, could be water weight. PMS? tummy issues like not have a bowel movement for a day or so can make the scale go up aswell. Do not stress over the number on the scale. Like most everyone has said, the scale is not the whole story.
  • rlwzgd
    rlwzgd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    After I have a few drinks with friends or at the holiday party, I always feel bloated the next day... So I avoid the scale that day. I think that my body is like, "thanks for dehydrating me, I'm going hold on to the water for a while." Don't sweat it, it will come off. :)
  • sabocat
    Options
    It's the alcohol! Give it a few days and then weigh yourself again. I've always struggled with my weight and from experience can tell you that when I've had a big weight loss and was usually followed by a gain even though I was religious with my eating plan. Don't panic, just go back to your healthy eating habits and keep exercising, the weight will come back off. I've had to give up alcohol period because of the calorie count. My husband and I would go out to eat and many times I would have a Margaruita which has believe it or not around 600 calories.
  • VinVenture
    Options
    3.5 lbs of fat would have been 12 250 kcal over your average intake, and I doubt you would be stressed enough to eat 12250 over maintenance. That would take serious dedication. Don't worry now, it'll come off in a few days.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It's hard to lose and easy to gain....that's reality, so reflect, gather your energies and face your challenges as the strong person you are. Don't let life's curves sabotage your success.

You can do this!
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have put on 8 lbs in 2 days before!! You may need to potty....it could be fluid....don't stress, just take it day by day and do what you know is the right thing to do with food. It will probably be off by Sat at the latest.....
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Dear original poster:

It's likely water weight. Let's relax and not let it cause anxiety.

Ok then. To recap this thread:

153s6tl.jpg
    fook9i.jpg
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Dear original poster:

It's likely water weight. Let's relax and not let it cause anxiety.

Ok then. To recap this thread:

153s6tl.jpg
    fook9i.jpg

LMAO -- I'm starting to think you have far too much time on your hands...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    LMAO -- I'm starting to think you have far too much time on your hands...

^ While I do spend too much time on MFP, I have a bunch of these pre-made for topics that come up frequently =)
  • cncersux
    Options
    Stress for sure causes weight gain. Cortisol is a hormone in our body that helps regulate insuline. Cortisol is also the stress hormone. Our bodies will release more cortisol when we are stressed. My suggestion is to work out more intensely during periods of stress to combat this change in hormone release. When my son was diagnosed with cancer I gained 30lbs from stress! Good luck
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Actually, stress is a major cause of weight gain and other conditions. That said, it is not something that happens overnight or even over a few weeks. A constant state of stress over prolonged periods of time is a cause of unhealthy conditions. In your case, it could be so many things such as water, TOM, waste product in the gut etc.. Don't worry about it.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I found that in the beginning of the process (been here logging faithfully and following my plan faithfully) that the scale numbers (I weigh daily) were like a wild roller coaster ride. I started here with a goal to lose 30 pounds. Just going out to dinner would be a 2 pound gain. Let it go. If you say you are still working your plan except for the three drinks, fine. Continue to work your plan. Your body is not wanting to go along. That is normal! You have to give it a few months. If you are lying to yourself then straighten up! You probably are being honest as you say, but also another good tip is to get a food scale and weigh your food. That was a tip I got and it really helps for calorie dense foods (meat, cheese, nuts) or dry loose food like pasta or oatmeal which is twice the amount (calories!!) by measuring cup as it is by scale! You can buy a relatively cheap one on Amazon for maybe $15 and USE IT!

Just relax grasshopper! I had Mexican food last night (small tostada with no sour cream or guacamole) and more than my share of the basket of chips. Mind you I was under or at calories (eating exercise calories for the day) and went from 138.8 to 138.2 today. ( Yesterday I went from 140 to 138.8) My goal weight is 135. Go figure. I haven't lost weight in a while and I guess all the lights came on in the body that gave the "all clear" signal to drop a pound or two! It will happen, JUST DO NOT GIVE UP!!!