Help me through those last 4lbs

Options
Hey all,

I've posted a few topics on here recently along similar lines, but I'm still struggling and could do with some help.

I am now 4lbs from my goal of 140lbs. The last 10 have definitely been very slow, which I expected and am fine with. But I really feel these last 4 are killing me. I'm working really, really hard. I'm tracking and being honest with everything that goes in my mouth. It's all weighed, measured and accounted for. I'm doing the 30DS every day apart from Wednesday when I do two hours of taekwondo, I'm walking 2-3 miles five days a week and doing my stepper at least once a week too.

I was sufferring from real hunger, and was advised to up fluids, lean protein and veggies which I have done. I'm easily drinking 2L of fluids a day, have lean protein in my lunch and evening meal and veggies throughout the day.

All that, and my scale still isn't moving.

Whatever motivation you can give me to get me through those last 4lbs would be a huge help to me!
xo

Replies

• daram05
    Options
    Hey Lady!

I am in the same boat. I am two pounds from my goal weight and set a deadline of 12/31/2011. So, I am feeling the pressure of failing because I just can't lose them. I think its all psychological and us putting too much pressure on ourselves. I think what I will do and will suggest to you, is to lower your goal weight. For instance, instead of 140lbs go to 135lbs. Someone (a trainer) told me sometimes when we focus on the number, that's all we want to see.

Give that a try for the next few weeks and see if that makes a difference. We can do this...we were born to do it!!!
  • 21katykat01
    Options
    Thanks Daram!

You're probably right, maybe I just need to focus on everything but the number for a while :)
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    I personally feel that pounds dont matter once you get down to your goal. You are close enough to say you made it girlie. You just keep doing what you are doing and you WILL lose fat. maybe not WEIGHT, but losing FAT is what matters!!!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    That's what I said last week!

I'd no idea you'd come so far though, that's impressive. I'd still advise to forget the numbers for now and set a fitness goal instead.
  • Fishing4Stars
    Options
    I'm in my last 10lbs too. Congratulations on your loss, you've done great.

I know it seems counter intuitive, but a trainer once told me that when you really plateau, taking a week or two off dieting and doing maintenance can help your body adjust to the loss you've already had. After a little break on maintenance mode, your body can recognize your current weight as the norm, instead of as a starvation weight it has to fight to keep. It's frustrating to wait longer, but this can really make your efforts effective again if you're really stuck.
  • OutiR
    OutiR Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You exercise a lot - are you sure you eat all your exercise calories??? Your body needs enough fuel to fuction well and if it doesn't get enough... you know already how it works...

Good luck for the very last pounds - the goal is so near that you'll get it soon enough - GREAT WORK!!! :-)))
  • michele_lynn
    michele_lynn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree with taking a week off. I was stuck at the 118 mark for a while, took the week of Thanksgiving as "maintenance" only and now (two-weeks) later, I'm dropping again. Give your body time, and focus on how you feel, not what you weigh. I'm only 4lbs to my goal, too!
  • OutiR
    Options
    I know it seems counter intuitive, but a trainer once told me that when you really plateau, taking a week or two off dieting and doing maintenance can help your body adjust to the loss you've already had. After a little break on maintenance mode, your body can recognize your current weight as the norm, instead of as a starvation weight it has to fight to keep. It's frustrating to wait longer, but this can really make your efforts effective again if you're really stuck.
    This is a great tip - I will try this too when hit a plateau next time!!! Makes perfect sense and is also nice to relax a bit and get mercy to poor body that has done so well but just need a little break. So how to do this in practice: is it better to change your current weight as your goal weight or put your goal weight as current weigh-in??? Then MFP gives you new instructions???
  • michele_lynn
    michele_lynn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just change your weight loss goals to "maintain" instead of losing .5, 1, or 2 lbs a week. The calories will automatically bump up to what your CURRENT weight is, because that's what you want your body to adjust to. Then, after a week or two, move the weight loss goal back down to what you want.
  • OutiR
    Options
    Just change your weight loss goals to "maintain" instead of losing .5, 1, or 2 lbs a week. The calories will automatically bump up to what your CURRENT weight is, because that's what you want your body to adjust to. Then, after a week or two, move the weight loss goal back down to what you want.
    Thanks again! :-)
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    what helped me get past my plateau was increasing my protein and lowering my carbs. I eat carbs but only good ones (fruit, potatoes, brown rice,) I increased my protein and I eliminated processed/frozen foods for natural foods. Drank 10 glasses of water and watch my sodium. Diet is 80% of your weight loss!

not for everyone, but it worked for me!
    Good luck!
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    I have been trying to lose my last 5 lbs since July! I can now say I am officially .5lb away from my goal weight. :) In the past 6 weeks I cut out my morning coffee and I started eating dinnner later(instead of 530-6pm I now eat at 7-730ish) to cut out ANY late night snack cravings and apparently its working. My advice to you is to change up your routine some how. I increased my protein throughout the day and dropped my carbs at night too. Good luck!
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    I agree with taking a week off. I was stuck at the 118 mark for a while, took the week of Thanksgiving as "maintenance" only and now (two-weeks) later, I'm dropping again. Give your body time, and focus on how you feel, not what you weigh. I'm only 4lbs to my goal, too!

I agree 100% with this. I took a couple of weeks "off" too and then came back with my change in routine and the scale started moving again. :)
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What is your goal per week set at?? I was stuck with the last 10 lbs and really struggled. I recenctly changed my goal to just .5 lbs per week and am losing again.
  • 21katykat01
    Options
    That's what I said last week!

I'd no idea you'd come so far though, that's impressive. I'd still advise to forget the numbers for now and set a fitness goal instead.

I know! I took you seriously - you've had great results so I trusted your advice. Plus, I got paid so I could go food shopping :)
  • 21katykat01
    Options
    What great advice guys, thanks.

My current loss is set to 1lb a week, which gives me a calorie allowance of 1290. I'm just learning about BMR and stuff (I didn't really understand what it was) and the basic calculation on MFP says my BMR is 1490. I looked at upping my calories before by changing my loss to 0.5lb a week, but that ups my allowance to 1500cal. That just seems like so much! I read a lot of people see a gain before they settle back down, and I'm not sure if I want to make that change right before Christmas - if the scale goes up I'd feel really defeated. Does that make sense?

(I am aware that lends even more credit to the idea it's all in my head).

I was checking my nutrition reports to see what my net calories have been, in response to what some of you were saying too. I'd thought I was doing really well sticking close to my net, but have discovered only one day in the last seven was I around 1290 (I was over on that one day actually). The other days my calories have varied between -100 and 900 net calories consumed. (The negative is on Wednesday. I burn so many calories at taekwondo I just can't eat enough to eat them back). From what I understand of BMR, this probably puts me in starvation mode (I'm 5'6 and 144 - if you're more knowledgeable and know whether this *is* starvation mode please tell me!)

I think that if I'm not in starvation mode, I'm pretty close. I've been eating good things (and some not good things, I'll confess I can't give up chocolate completely, but it's been like 5 maltesers, which aren't many calories) but not enough. I made a casserole last night for tea with low-fat sausages, veggies and home-made mashed potato with skim milk. It was the biggest meal I've had in ages. And what worries me the most is that I fel *guilty* for eating it. Like it'd undo all the work I'd done so far!

That right there was the biggest warning sign-and I didn't even realise I'd thought that until I was reading through what some of you wrote. So, with your advice and my own experience, I don't think I can (or SHOULD) avoid putting my calories up any longer. I am really enjoying exercising and getting fitter/stronger and want to keep it up! I've achieved everything I wanted to achieve - I have my figure back, I'm down 1-2 dress sizes, I have a new wardrobe, I enjoy exercise now. All that, and I'm beating myself up because of a number.

Well, revelation here, people!! The number shouldn't be what matters, and I'm literally only realising this as I type. I've worked so damn hard and I HAVE achieved! It's just a number but all the other evidence is there!

I feel a bit stupid now to be honest!

So, here's my pledge (after a very long-winded reply): I'm going to up my calories. I'm going to keep getting stronger, fitter and healthier. And *right now* I am going to put away the scale, for good. You heard me, I'm getting rid of it! I once saw a comedian on TV say "I don't understand the point in scales. Why do we need them? Look in a mirror. You don't like what you see, lose some weight. You like what you see, brilliant!" Exactly.

Thank you for all your help - you have no idea how much better I feel!
  • 21katykat01
    Options
    And know what? I'm going to post me some success pictures too!
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • TheresaRichardson
    Options
    You are AWESOME. Looking fabulous in that dress, girl!